What do we do with Jameis Winston?

bucsfan333

On 1/17/2020 at 6:21 PM, Lil' Shorty said:

Probably just some pot stirring but if this was the case I’d assume it’s fully guaranteed. And for $24 per year I’m cool with that. 

If he signs for that much or something similar, I think it proves what he's always said about being a team-first guy. I'd think he'd want to stay with this coaching staff and allow the team to keep its stars. He's got to know (I would hope) that asking for the moon is only going to ruin any chance of him being here. And being here is QB heaven with these coaches and weapons. I've gotten as exasperated as anyone with his poor plays, but I would not be a bit surprised if we see a leap next year. Not saying that it will definitely happen, but that would be great.  And by leap, I don't mean passing for 6,000 yards. I mean less than, say, 15 interceptions. A backwards leap INT-wise. The Bucs would be on the rest of the league like a rat on a cheeto. If, IF, another year with this coaching staff can correct, or reasonably limit, his sometimes bizarre choices, then, with a rapidly improving defense, these Bucs may be the best version of this team we've seen in a long time, if ever. 

Or, I may be full of crap.

BTW, I keep reading from on boards all over the place that Jason Licht is to blame if Winston doesn't pan out, since Licht drafted him. But didn't Lovie Smith have final say on personnel decisions, including the draft, in 2015? It doesn't really matter now but, if this is true, Licht shouldn't have to be responsible for that one, either good or bad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gruber74 said:

BTW, I keep reading from on boards all over the place that Jason Licht is to blame if Winston doesn't pan out, since Licht drafted him. But didn't Lovie Smith have final say on personnel decisions, including the draft, in 2015? It doesn't really matter now but, if this is true, Licht shouldn't have to be responsible for that one, either good or bad.

Lovie picked Licht, if I remember correctly. So I'd imagine Lovie also picked his QB.

Mariota got benched anyway. So it's not like we picked the wrong QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Lovie picked Licht, if I remember correctly. So I'd imagine Lovie also picked his QB.

Mariota got benched anyway. So it's not like we picked the wrong QB.

Arguably the best top 10 draftee was Gurley in that draft.  His injury history was a concern coming out of UGA, but he had a heck of a 3 yr stretch.

• Like 1

This is a crazy stat.  I don t know who will be the Qb, but this offense is so vertical even the ghost of Al Davis has a smirk of envy on his face reading that stat.

So will the offense reduce the down field throws to help limit the turnovers?  The farther the ball is thrown away from the LOS, the odds increase for a pick 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

This is a crazy stat.  I don t know who will be the Qb, but this offense is so vertical even the ghost of Al Davis has a smirk of envy on his face reading that stat.

So will the offense reduce the down field throws to help limit the turnovers?  The farther the ball is thrown away from the LOS, the odds increase for a pick 

I doubt it. I would expect things to remain the same. The entire staff is still here.

The only difference I'd expect is the usual roster turnover.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

I doubt it. I would expect things to remain the same. The entire staff is still here.

The only difference I'd expect is the usual roster turnover.

I agree, I think realistically if the QB is around 15 per season in this offense, that is good.  The offense is entertaining to say the least, dink and dunk not so much.

I just imagine being in that locker room and seeing Winston throw so many interceptions, I wouldn't be looking forward to him coming back. Especially if I was on defense. You guys have a loaded defense that would have been much better if they weren't brought back onto the field so many times due to interceptions.

I would cut bait and move on. Give Teddy Bridgewater a call and draft a QB in round 2-3.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kirill said:

I just imagine being in that locker room and seeing Winston throw so many interceptions, I wouldn't be looking forward to him coming back. Especially if I was on defense. You guys have a loaded defense that would have been much better if they weren't brought back onto the field so many times due to interceptions.

I would cut bait and move on. Give Teddy Bridgewater a call and draft a QB in round 2-3.

i know jpp is tired of jameis antics lol..the look on his face be priceless

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 12:04 PM, Kirill said:

Agreed except I prefer to trade up for our guy. I mean I wouldn't be mad with Jalen Hurts in the late 2nd/3rd though. 

• 2 weeks later...