2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He and his agent elected to get most of the contract as a signing bonus. Thats not the Jets problem. He isn't due that much this year salary wise and thats bc he took 14 of his 22mill as a signing bonus. He needs to understand that. He will get his money. Just not this off season. We have to make the roster better and him taking our cap up another 10+mill wont help that. He's a very selfish player and really starting to rub me the wrong way. He on the outside acts like a leader but deep down isnt one when push comes to shove. I want him to stay a Jet. But this sint how contracts work. No one else outside of maybe a QB is having to pay their 1st Round QBs this offseason from the 2017 draft. He has a contract to honor then he will get paid.

Will he? The team were trying to trade him. No reason to believe the Jets will pay him because the Jets aren't one of those teams that "always takes care of their own" when it comes to production. Contract extensions here are more about do they like you as a person.

20 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Yeah.. I am fine with Jets riding out on Bell and Anderson for 2020.  Now, it is down to Winters and Williamson for a potential trade.

What NFL teams have begun doing is trading players that are due guaranteed base salaries by converting some of the salary into a bonus. I think that option remains for both Anderson and Bell, but it sounds like there has been a meeting of the minds with Bell and Gase, so not expecting him to move this year. 

I think we may not see some guys get cut so I quickly- namely Winters and Williamson. This organization has been a lot stingier under the new administration, so I don’t think they’ll be rushing to allow them into the FA pool so early. Instead, I think we’ll see them try to renegotiate their contracts or wait until they sign their replacement in FA. Winters coming back as a backup shouldn’t be ruled out, and Williamson’s agent (Neil Cornrich) is also the agent of FA target Brandon Scherff so that bears watching. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

What NFL teams have begun doing is trading players that are due guaranteed base salaries by converting some of the salary into a bonus. I think that option remains for both Anderson and Bell, but it sounds like there has been a meeting of the minds with Bell and Gase, so not expecting him to move this year. 

I think we may not see some guys get cut so I quickly- namely Winters and Williamson. This organization has been a lot stingier under the new administration, so I don’t think they’ll be rushing to allow them into the FA pool so early. Instead, I think we’ll see them try to renegotiate their contracts or wait until they sign their replacement in FA. Winters coming back as a backup shouldn’t be ruled out, and Williamson’s agent (Neil Cornrich) is also the agent of FA target Brandon Scherff so that bears watching. 

I thought so too but I am fully prepared for Jets to move Bell by the trade deadline of 2020, depending what would happen early of the season.

I definitely think Jets will keep Williamson to start 2020 calendar year.  Winters is tough one to figure out because I can't see Jets would empty OL for FA. Negotiation for back up role money is good idea.

Just curious which agent is considered as NFL's Scott Boras?

Adams has no leverage right now other than holding out. Jets are in no rush, they are gonna negotiate with FAs first and try to retain guys.

Improving the OL is the priority right now and getting Darnold some help. I fully expect LeVeon Bell will be back next season, I just don't see any team trading for him with his contract. I think Bell will be much better with a better OL though, he just had no running room in 2019.  

Our 11th overall pick right now I want either a OT or WR. We are sitting in a spot where we could get a #1 WR or a franchise OT. Depending on who falls, and someone will fall. I really love Lamb and Jeudy as WR prospects. But we are more desperate for OL right now. 

Edited by NYJets4716

31 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I dont praise Macc much, but what he did well was not get rid of players until there was a replacement. Meaning not cut Winters until we get a RG. Or like you said try bringing him back cheaper and as a backup. Hopefully JD does this.

37 minutes ago, Malik said:

Will he? The team were trying to trade him. No reason to believe the Jets will pay him because the Jets aren't one of those teams that "always takes care of their own" when it comes to production. Contract extensions here are more about do they like you as a person.

We weren't trying to trade him. This is what Adams got butt hurt about and it wasn't warranted at all. Its a new GM and we dont have a talented roster. We should be listening to any and all offers for any player on our roster. As you saw JD valued Adams and set an incredibly hard value for Adams to Dallas which Dallas came not even in the same hemisphere of with an offer. Meaning we were never going to trade him, bc no one is going to give up that value for a SS. It was JD doing his job. I mean Darnold is about as untradable on our roster as it gets and I'd listen to an offer in Cincy was offering there #1 pick and future 1st round picks for Darmold. Why not. Its a GMs job to listen to offers as well as propose them.

12 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Adams has no leverage right now other than holding out. Jets are in no rush, they are gonna negotiate with FAs first and try to retain guys.

Improving the OL is the priority right now and getting Darnold some help. I fully expect LeVeon Bell will be back next season, I just don't see any team trading for him with his contract. I think Bell will be much better with a better OL though, he just had no running room in 2019.  

Our 11th overall pick right now I want either a OT or WR. We are sitting in a spot where we could get a #1 WR or a franchise OT. Depending on who falls, and someone will fall. I really love Lamb and Jeudy as WR prospects. But we are more desperate for OL right now. 

Were you under impression that Jets and Adams have to negotiate for a contract extension prior to FA or during FA?

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

We'll resign Adams. 

We might. But the people for that this offseason I don’t want to hear complain about us not having a great free agent period. Bc we’d be giving 10-15mill to a guy under contract rather than using that money to Upgrade the roster. So I’ll remember who wants him paid now. And bring it back up in a 6 weeks

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We might. But the people for that this offseason I don’t want to hear complain about us not having a great free agent period. Bc we’d be giving 10-15mill to a guy under contract rather than using that money to Upgrade the roster. So I’ll remember who wants him paid now. And bring it back up in a 6 weeks

Signing Adams now is probably the last thing on Douglas''s, mind right now. He has to many holes to fill before he gives a player under contract a big pay day.

Conklin, though, I don’t see happening as much. The Jets genuinely like Chuma Edoga at right tackle. He took his lumps this year, sure, but the staff believes he’ll be significantly better for them in 2020. They see him as their long-term answer at right tackle. It’s hard to imagine they give up on him after just one season.

Above is curtesy of Connor Rogers. Believe it or not, I think Edoga has a good shot at being their Left Tackle, but I think he’s a little too quick to shut the door on Conklin and playing things out the way the Raiders did with Miller/Brown. 

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Lance Zierlien has *14* receivers with 1st or 2nd round grades. Another 6 with 3rd round grades. Wild stuff

I count 12 or was it outdated?

https://twitter.com/NFLDraftMD/status/1226213568317657088/photo/1

Anyway, I looked at his early day 3 WRs.  Despite I disagree with a several grades, it is freaking plenty for Jets to ponder.  Wild stuff, indeed.

Edited by JetsandI

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Conklin, though, I don’t see happening as much. The Jets genuinely like Chuma Edoga at right tackle. He took his lumps this year, sure, but the staff believes he’ll be significantly better for them in 2020. They see him as their long-term answer at right tackle. It’s hard to imagine they give up on him after just one season.

Above is curtesy of Connor Rogers. Believe it or not, I think Edoga has a good shot at being their Left Tackle, but I think he’s a little too quick to shut the door on Conklin and playing things out the way the Raiders did with Miller/Brown. 

I heard that last week about Jets not pursuing Conklin.   I think a lot of teams still think Conklin belong to Guard spot even though he has handled RT duty well. 

Edoga has to get bigger and stronger already to deter Jets away from proven mauler Conklin. Otherwise will be a great mistake.

Edited by JetsandI

6 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I count 12 or was it outdated?

https://twitter.com/NFLDraftMD/status/1226213568317657088/photo/1

Anyway, I looked at his early day 3 WRs.  Despite I disagree with a several grades, it is freaking plenty for Jets to ponder.  Wild stuff, indeed.

That's not his board- it's someone who claims to have very similar grades on players