2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

Jamal Adams has said he expects a long term contract to be done this offseason. Both sides have reported they are in contact talks. He is locked in until 2021. I had a strong feeling this was going to happen. The reports are they will start with 14 mill a year and move up from there. He was a must sign because in my eyes he is the best safety in the league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

McShay released a mock today: Becton to the Jets (Wills to LAC, Wirfs to ARI, Josh Jones to CLE) with Thomas falling to #18. 

It’s going on to be interesting to see how these boards stack up over the next few months. I think teams will be all over the map with their rankings, but unanimously agreeing that this class has an elite crop of OL in the top end of the draft

Dane Brugler is a very respected mock-drafter. He released his 3rd mock this morning, but unlike most, his includes trades... 

7. ***TRADE***
New York Jets receive:
2020 first-round pick (No. 7 overall)
2020 fifth-round pick

Carolina Panthers receive:
2020 first-round pick (No. 11 overall)
2020 third-round pick (No. 68 overall)
2020 third-round pick (No. 79 overall)

New York Jets (via CAR) – Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
The Jets need to help their young quarterback and upgrade three or four spots on the offensive line this offseason. Could they sit at No. 11 overall and hope a tackle falls to them? Sure, there is a decent chance one of the projected top-four tackles (Wills, Becton, Tristan Wirfs, Andrew Thomas) will be there. However, if the Jets have a clear top grade on one of the tackles, it makes sense to go and get him. And Becton, with his rare size, strength and movements, might be that guy.

I'm not so sure the Jets will be trading up, nor do I fully agree with it, but the fact that we've seen 2 Mekhi Becton-to-Jets connections among McShay and Brugler today is intriguing. Falls in line with what I found last month.

On 1/3/2020 at 12:18 PM, jetskid007 said:

I've put in a tons of work into my most recent mock- lots of film review, data analysis, draft history, agency dot-connecting, etc. I'm waiting for official declarations before I post it here and elsewhere, but I'll give you guys a few names so you can begin looking into them (note: the below are not in draft sequential order) 

• Mekhi Becton, LT, Louisville 
  • Van Jefferson, WR, Florida 
  • Matt Hennessy, OL, Temple 
Edited by jetskid007

13 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Dane Brugler is a very respected mock-drafter. He released his 3rd mock this morning, but unlike most, his includes trades... 

I'm not so sure the Jets will be trading up, nor do I fully agree with it, but the fact that we've seen 2 Mekhi Becton-to-Jets connections among McShay and Brugler today is intriguing. Falls in line with what I found last month.

Id be happy with all 3 of those guys. I'm not a fan of trading up for Becton though. He does carry some risks and is raw.

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Id be happy with all 3 of those guys. I'm not a fan of trading up for Becton though. He does carry some risks and is raw.

Personally I don’t see much of a raw player at all. He’s much further along in his development than media reports will have you believe. The primary risk is weight control. 

16 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Personally I don’t see much of a raw player at all. He’s much further along in his development than media reports will have you believe. The primary risk is weight control. 

He does go for the highlight reel block quite a bit. Which comes with its misses.

On a side note a guy I like that I view as VERY NFL ready is Niang from TCU. I have no clue why he's not in the 1st round talk.

Becton weighed at 350 to start this past season.  If he weighs no more than 340 at the combine then we make sure that he continues sticking with his weight coach, whoever it is.  Surely, he has good character as a person but he is about to enter the world of free style with a multi million in his bank if chosen in 1st.   I don't recall that any team actually select any 350+ lb OL in 1st round since Combine and Pro Day firstly made acknowledgement to public. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

He does go for the highlight reel block quite a bit. Which comes with its misses.

On a side note a guy I like that I view as VERY NFL ready is Niang from TCU. I have no clue why he's not in the 1st round talk.

I remember his name and his whining about a lack of 1st round chirp about him. He made a vow to improve run blocking to make a 1st round case for him but he suffered out of season injury.    Should remain a solid high-mid 2nd round guy. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I wouldn't say "misses" translate into being raw, but I digress. 

Niang's issues are primarily injury and despite good athleticism, he has some footwork and stiffness issues and is not someone who plays with a "killer instinct/finisher's mentality". He's kind of like a better version of Brandon Shell... has what it takes to develop into a rock-solid starting T in the league, should be a day 1 starter, but don't see him as being a special player. A lot of Donovan Smith vibes out of him.

No way do we trade up that would be a big mistake. I love Becton too but in a draft deep in the positions we cover, those two thirds are potential starters for us at maybe WR and or another OL. No thanks that trade makes absolutely no sense to a team like use that is hurting for young cost controlled talent. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 8:30 AM, jetfuel34 said:

Jamal Adams has said he expects a long term contract to be done this offseason. Both sides have reported they are in contact talks. He is locked in until 2021. I had a strong feeling this was going to happen. The reports are they will start with 14 mill a year and move up from there. He was a must sign because in my eyes he is the best safety in the league. 

He is a must sign. Hes one of those players who makes guys better around him and lifts the energy of others. Hes a HOF type talent. 

I am excited to see CJ Mosley play next season, hes a great player who had unfortunate luck this past season. 

Edited by NYJets4716

Patrick Mahomes is great. But look at the situation he landed in. ALl time great QB whisperer coach with Andy Reid. Amazing WRs all around him. The best TE in football. Good OL.  If Mahomes was put in a situation like the Jets, he wouldn't be the best.  

Its all about the situation and providing your QB with players and schemes to succeed. 

I really wish we had landed Hardman, that was supposed to be our man but the Chiefs got him. 

12 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I don't think we should trade up or back this year unless someone offers something crazy. A great OT, OLB, or WR will likely be there for us to grab. 

I agree with you and I really don’t think we will. All signs point to 3–possibly even 4—quarterbacks going in the top 10 with CIN/MIA near locks to select one with rumors suggesting LAC/CAR will consider as well as LVR/IND via trade up...

When it’s all said and done, I think one of the Jets top 2 OL prospects (Becton, Wirfs) will be there. Maybe they consider a move to 9 to jump CLE (which would likely cost a 1st, 4th & 6th at most), but I don’t see them parting with a 3rd, let alone 2, to move up to 7. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I agree with you and I really don’t think we will. All signs point to 3–possibly even 4—quarterbacks going in the top 10 with CIN/MIA near locks to select one with rumors suggesting LAC/CAR will consider as well as LVR/IND via trade up...

When it’s all said and done, I think one of the Jets top 2 OL prospects (Becton, Wirfs) will be there. Maybe they consider a move to 9 to jump CLE (which would likely cost a 1st, 4th & 6th at most), but I don’t see them parting with a 3rd, let alone 2, to move up to 7. 

I see CLE going Thomas or Wirfs. I dont think theyre a franchise that can take a "risk" and go with the rising OT in Becton. If I had to bet right now I'd bet Becton is our pick.

On another note... Biadasz seems to be slipping in most mocks for whatever reason. If we are thinking about trading up. Thats who we should for. Assuming we dont get a good C and 2 good Gs in FA. I think if he's there in the early 2nd we should think about moving up.