2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Saw in a mock offseason the idea of us trading Bell to Washington. The trade was Bell and our 3rd (not the NYG 3rd) for Trent Williams.

Thoughts?!?!

I like the idea.  I would still look to draft an OT at 11 to play RT and assume LT when Trent moves on.  If we can then get OG/C in rd. 2 or FA, our OL may be fixed.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Saw in a mock offseason the idea of us trading Bell to Washington. The trade was Bell and our 3rd (not the NYG 3rd) for Trent Williams.

Thoughts?!?!

I am more than happy to just get rid of Bell but Williams has not played for more than a year.    Anyone under 250 missing a year is a better gamble than anyone over 300 being idle for at least year.   Hard pass for me despite it may be only one trade ability on the table.

my top 5 Free agent...

1. Anthony Castonzo - I heard Jets may pursue him even though his comment about re-signing with Colts or retirement.  Fingers Crossed.

2. Jack Conklin -  One of better Tackles in NFL.

3. Robert Quinn - Cowboys have a several important players to secure for multi year contracts. Hope they miss out on Quinn.

4. Jason Pierre-Paul - A bionic pass rusher that isn't slow down by aging, broken vertebrate and a several absent fingers.

5. Chris Harris Jr. -  One of most consistent CB in playing level and durability. That is something we expected from FA bust Trumaine Johnson.

I know defensive sought for players are aging but Jets have toooooo many young players that can make good contribution on the field. Need a solid veteran presence with hungry for winning games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

They were scouts together in Baltimore. Joe wanted him for a high level front office role, but Jeremiah preferred to stay with NFLN (he followed up the tweet above with "To answer the next question-I'll be covering Chargers practice for NFL Network on Wednesday. I love my jobs (NFL Network & color for Chargers radio)."... he's turned down any request since. A lot of history between the two is reflected in this article: https://theathletic.com/935851/2019/04/22/scouts-life-how-daniel-jeremiah-went-from-the-20-20-club-to-nfl-network/

The white lie thing is possible, but mock drafts have become a thing of their own... it's all about credibility now. Besides, the GMs aren't going out of their way to tell anyone who they're taking - but Jeremiah knows how Douglas thinks and what he prioritizes from working with him, which is why you have to listen whenever he speaks. 

The other guy linked in the media is Todd McShay. He and Joe played on Richmond together and were roommates.

Thanks for that. Was interesting to see DJ talk so confidently and your right I don’t think it would do great things for his credibility if we did go WR in the first.

I think FA will change all these mocks anyway so we could be seeing different things in a couple of months.   

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Thanks for that. Was interesting to see DJ talk so confidently and your right I don’t think it would do great things for his credibility if we did go WR in the first.

I think FA will change all these mocks anyway so we could be seeing different things in a couple of months.   

Agreed. What fans should be taking away from mocks right now is that there are 4 bonafide offensive line prospects in this draft. The Jets will have their preferences, but who are we as an organization to be picky - we have at least 4/5 spots vacant on the OL and severely lack talent up front. We're kind of in a similar position that we were in 2018; we knew we were taking one of the 4 QBs but we didn't know who. They traded up to 3 once they identified (1) Darnold; (2) Mayfield; and (3) Rosen as their top 3 guys. Each obviously had different skill sets and styles, but the Jets knew they were taking a QB no matter what. That's kind of how I see this playing out this year. Maybe we trade up maybe not, but I think Douglas will rank these guys and play the odds.

Do I personally agree with it? No. If you're not entirely sold on a player, why take him anyway? Again, I think the answer to that question lies with how badly this team is in need of offensive lineman. We're at the point where you just take the most talented one and play him at his best possible spot while relying on the coaches to get the most out of them.

With that said, I do think a trade down in the 20s is a significant possibility for the same reasons. If their grade Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Isaiah Wilson, Lloyd Cushenberry, or Cesar Ruiz as fringe first rounders but likely to be rock-solid NFL starters, don't be surprised if they were to pull what Dallas did in 2013 when they drafted Frederick and move down to collect more draft capital/select their best rated OL even if that player is considered a reach.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Agreed. What fans should be taking away from mocks right now is that there are 4 bonafide offensive line prospects in this draft. The Jets will have their preferences, but who are we as an organization to be picky - we have at least 4/5 spots vacant on the OL and severely lack talent up front. We're kind of in a similar position that we were in 2018; we knew we were taking one of the 4 QBs but we didn't know who. They traded up to 3 once they identified (1) Darnold; (2) Mayfield; and (3) Rosen as their top 3 guys. Each obviously had different skill sets and styles, but the Jets knew they were taking a QB no matter what. That's kind of how I see this playing out this year. Maybe we trade up maybe not, but I think Douglas will rank these guys and play the odds.

Do I personally agree with it? No. If you're not entirely sold on a player, why take him anyway? Again, I think the answer to that question lies with how badly this team is in need of offensive lineman. We're at the point where you just take the most talented one and play him at his best possible spot while relying on the coaches to get the most out of them.

With that said, I do think a trade down in the 20s is a significant possibility for the same reasons. If their grade Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Isaiah Wilson, Lloyd Cushenberry, or Cesar Ruiz as fringe first rounders but likely to be rock-solid NFL starters, don't be surprised if they were to pull what Dallas did in 2013 when they drafted Frederick and move down to collect more draft capital/select their best rated OL even if that player is considered a reach.

Yeah I’d love us to trade down and gain more picks. The dream would be we add a second round pick to give us double picks in the first three rounds. With those six picks we can add so much talent to this roster. 

I also don’t necessarily think that LT has to be our only option in selecting a offensive lineman early. I’d be cool with trading down getting that extra second rounder and drafting a stud guard or centre in the middle to end of the first round. We just need talent first and foremost on the line. 

I want Juedy so bad. I get that we need to fix our line issues, but a true WR will do wonders for Sam. Give him a reliable target, that when you need a 3rd and super long, you can trust a jump ball going his way. You can build a line with FA and mid round draft picks - the same usually isn't so when it comes to WR.

37 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I want Juedy so bad. I get that we need to fix our line issues, but a true WR will do wonders for Sam. Give him a reliable target, that when you need a 3rd and super long, you can trust a jump ball going his way. You can build a line with FA and mid round draft picks - the same usually isn't so when it comes to WR.

A true #1 is a great but the not necessarily a huge need. The committee approach is usually good for a QB as you never feel forced to force the ball to a guy. Plus Sam loves his TE and Crowder. 

Building up the line helps everyone. 

Bell has more running room, Sam has more time, Receivers have more time to get open, Defense stays off the field, 3 and outs become FG drives, FG drives become touchdown drives, etc...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

We can build an OL with FA and mid round picks?  Isn’t that what we have been doing since Mangold and Dbrick?  How has that worked for us?

How many good/great quarterbacks are actually using a committee approach at WR? Russell Wilson? Lamar? Playing devils advocate here, but most seem to have a #1 guy. 

Rodgers // Adams 
Brees // Thomas 
Mahomes // Hill,Kelce*
Watson // Hopkins 
Goff // Kupp 
Dak // Amari 
Ryan // Julio
Wentz // Ertz*
Jimmy G // Kittle*
Cousins // Digs,Thielen

I’d still prefer to prioritize the OL at all costs including our first pick - Just an observation.

24 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

How many good/great quarterbacks are actually using a committee approach at WR? Russell Wilson? Lamar? Playing devils advocate here, but most seem to have a #1 guy. 

Rodgers // Adams 
Brees // Thomas 
Mahomes // Hill,Kelce*
Watson // Hopkins 
Goff // Kupp 
Dak // Amari 
Ryan // Julio
Wentz // Ertz*
Jimmy G // Kittle*
Cousins // Digs,Thielen

I’d still prefer to prioritize the OL at all costs including our first pick - Just an observation.

how many of those receivers were taken in 1st?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JetsandI said:

my top 5 Free agent...

1. Anthony Castonzo - I heard Jets may pursue him even though his comment about re-signing with Colts or retirement.  Fingers Crossed.

2. Jack Conklin -  One of better Tackles in NFL.

3. Robert Quinn - Cowboys have a several important players to secure for multi year contracts. Hope they miss out on Quinn.

4. Jason Pierre-Paul - A bionic pass rusher that isn't slow down by aging, broken vertebrate and a several absent fingers.

5. Chris Harris Jr. -  One of most consistent CB in playing level and durability. That is something we expected from FA bust Trumaine Johnson.

I know defensive sought for players are aging but Jets have toooooo many young players that can make good contribution on the field. Need a solid veteran presence with hungry for winning games.

That is a list mostly comprised of really old humans.  We aren't in win now mode, if anything we need to get younger not older.

9 hours ago, JetsandI said:

how many of those receivers were taken in 1st?

Oh I agree, which is why I would pass on a receiver in the 1st.

My point being to question the idea and success of a WR by committee approach. The 49rs make it work but Kittle is essentially a #1 receiver. The Ravens, sure, but Lamar just ran for 1,200 yards so it’s not like they’re reliant on a top flight receiving option. Russell Wilson and the Seahawks are really the only team making it work. Just a thought ..