2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Mild surprise: Jets got back their 6th round pick for Nate Hairston. Turns out it was a conditional 6th round pick, and those conditions were not met. 

Projected Selections: 

• 1(11) 
  • 2(48) 
  • 3(68) 
  • 3(79) 
  • 4(117) 
  • 5(158) 
  • 6(191) 
  • 6(211) 

Nice, wonder if this explains why he somewhat randomly became a healthy scratch towards the end of the year. 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Mild surprise: Jets got back their 6th round pick for Nate Hairston. Turns out it was a conditional 6th round pick, and those conditions were not met. 

Projected Selections: 

• 1(11) 
  • 2(48) 
  • 3(68) 
  • 3(79) 
  • 4(117) 
  • 5(158) 
  • 6(191) 
  • 6(211) 

I knew that it was a conditional pick but I wish there is an extended definition for each conditional traded pick somewhere.   Jets traded conditional 7th round pick to Ravens for Alex Lewis.  Lewis started 12 out of active 15 games last year. Both are career highs for him. Because of these, it sounds like 7th round pick is as good as gone but what if Lewis becoming an actual free agent instead of signing the extension contract is a requirement to get 7th round pick back? 

So it looks like the DJ Humphries deal is a guaranteed 2 year, $29.1 million fully guaranteed contract, with another $1.5 million available in incentives. All guarantees triggers this year by March 21, 2020. Final year is $13.25 million with a $500,000 roster bonus. 

Moral of the story: we’re going to see *bonkers* contracts for OL this offseason. Would not be shocked to see Conklin/Scherff/Thuney all eclipse $16 million per season on 4+ year deals. Castanzo probably going to get $16-17 million per year contract from the Colts that is similarly structured to Humphries’ (2 year guaranteed contract masquerading as a 3 year deal). 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

So it looks like the DJ Humphries deal is a guaranteed 2 year, $29.1 million fully guaranteed contract, with another $1.5 million available in incentives. All guarantees triggers this year by March 21, 2020. Final year is $13.25 million with a $500,000 roster bonus. 

Moral of the story: we’re going to see *bonkers* contracts for OL this offseason. Would not be shocked to see Conklin/Scherff/Thuney all eclipse $16 million per season on 4+ year deals. Castanzo probably going to get $16-17 million per year contract from the Colts that is similarly structured to Humphries’ (2 year guaranteed contract masquerading as a 3 year deal). 

Yes to upgrade this OL wont be cheap. A guy like Glasgow will even cost over 10mill per bc of this.

23 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Nice, wonder if this explains why he somewhat randomly became a healthy scratch towards the end of the year. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that he became a healthy scratch when we were out of playoff contention. He was inconsistent, but had streaks of very good play. Media spun it as if he was in the dog-house, but I do think the Jets just determined that he wasn't going to start so might as well sit him in order to ensure that we'd recoup the pick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes to upgrade this OL wont be cheap. A guy like Glasgow will even cost over 10mill per bc of this.

Not news to me. I had him well over. I think he's going to be the Weston Richburg of this free agency, but I hope his play post-FA is better than Richburg's has been

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

We just signed Josh Doctson. Good competition pick up. 

For those of you who were on this board back then, if you remember I wanted us to draft him over Darron Lee. So obviously I’m a fan of this.

Cousins spoke highly of him last season by the way. Hamstring kept I’m off the field.

22 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For those of you who were on this board back then, if you remember I wanted us to draft him over Darron Lee. So obviously I’m a fan of this.

Cousins spoke highly of him last season by the way. Hamstring kept I’m off the field.

It's certainly not a bad signing. Best case scenario he has a Breshad Perriman mid-career resurgence, worst case he's left off the team. I think the Jets will opt for guys like this + draft rather than making a big splash. 

• Like 1

Seems to be some speculation out there that Alshon will be available, and if that is the case, the Jets would likely become front-runners for him. He won't cost much - I would think a 6th round pick could get it done. 

• Reasonable contract. 2 years, $22.91 million ($9.91 million guaranteed base salary due this year). Jets can either take on the contract, or ask that the Eagles eat some of the guarantees, but if Alshon regains his form, Jets have him under contract next year at a below market rate. 
  • Joe Douglas + Adam Gase. Douglas was in CHI in 2015 and was part of the executive group that brought him over in 2017. Jeffery has always spoken highly of Gase as Gase has him, besides, we all know how Gase values WRs who are fluent in his offense... 
  • Jeffery and Philadelphia working together to find a new destination. Apparently the feeling is mutual that a trade would be best for both the team and player, and the Eagles are expected to work with Jeffery to find a destination that works for him. Jets present a situation where they need a receiver, he has some familiarity with the staff, and close relocation. 
  • CAA. Alshon is repped by CAA, as are our "Power Trinity" of Douglas + Gase + Darnold, so its relevant. 

Ultimately, this is one that I see happening. It's a worthy dart-throw for the Jets, and there are a lot of strings connecting all parties involved. I thought the Eagles/Jeffery would stick it out together for one more year, especially considering their receiver woes, but it becomes more clear each passing day that these two are bound for a divorce. 

36 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Seems to be some speculation out there that Alshon will be available, and if that is the case, the Jets would likely become front-runners for him. He won't cost much - I would think a 6th round pick could get it done. 

• Reasonable contract. 2 years, $22.91 million ($9.91 million guaranteed base salary due this year). Jets can either take on the contract, or ask that the Eagles eat some of the guarantees, but if Alshon regains his form, Jets have him under contract next year at a below market rate. 
  • Joe Douglas + Adam Gase. Douglas was in CHI in 2015 and was part of the executive group that brought him over in 2017. Jeffery has always spoken highly of Gase as Gase has him, besides, we all know how Gase values WRs who are fluent in his offense... 
  • Jeffery and Philadelphia working together to find a new destination. Apparently the feeling is mutual that a trade would be best for both the team and player, and the Eagles are expected to work with Jeffery to find a destination that works for him. Jets present a situation where they need a receiver, he has some familiarity with the staff, and close relocation. 
  • CAA. Alshon is repped by CAA, as are our "Power Trinity" of Douglas + Gase + Darnold, so its relevant. 

Ultimately, this is one that I see happening. It's a worthy dart-throw for the Jets, and there are a lot of strings connecting all parties involved. I thought the Eagles/Jeffery would stick it out together for one more year, especially considering their receiver woes, but it becomes more clear each passing day that these two are bound for a divorce. 

Sign me up.