2020 Free Agency

Lionized

PFF has Kyle Van Noy as the one free agent that the Lions should go after. 

Wouldn't that be funny to see him come back on a big contract? 

He's a great fit for Patricia's scheme, but I would be worried that we would sign him and then can Patricia next year, leaving Van Noy out of position yet again...

38 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

PFF has Kyle Van Noy as the one free agent that the Lions should go after. 

Wouldn't that be funny to see him come back on a big contract? 

He's a great fit for Patricia's scheme, but I would be worried that we would sign him and then can Patricia next year, leaving Van Noy out of position yet again...

It really makes me sick this off season.  I feel if Patricia gets fired, and I think it is very possible, all these resources are going to be wasted.  If I was a free agent who fit Patricia's defense, I don't think I'd come here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

It really makes me sick this off season.  I feel if Patricia gets fired, and I think it is very possible, all these resources are going to be wasted.  If I was a free agent who fit Patricia's defense, I don't think I'd come here.

I think KVN and the Lions would want to structure his contract in a way that the out is possible.. meaning he would get paid for 2020. I don't know if he would want to come here. He was jettisoned off for next to nothing and the fanbase wasn't exactly all that fond of him during his time here either. 

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

Exactly. This is such a great point: the ownership really hamstrung Quinn and Patricia by publicly giving them only 1 more year. If they said what any smart owner says - that they're fully behind their GM and coach - it could've helped scheme fit defenders want to come here.

16 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Exactly. This is such a great point: the ownership really hamstrung Quinn and Patricia by publicly giving them only 1 more year. If they said what any smart owner says - that they're fully behind their GM and coach - it could've helped scheme fit defenders want to come here.

I don't think it's a big issue. Players will want to come here because a) they're going to get paid, b) they like/know Patricia and/or the Patriots culture, c) they want to be part of turning around a franchise

It's going to be much more of a and b but becoming cornerstones of an offense or defense that catapults a franchise from perennial basement dweller to Super Bowl contender is an incredible opportunity. It's a way that you can cement yourself in legendary status which I think a lot of these guys would want to accomplish. You are never buying a meal or a drink for the rest of your life if you bring a Super Bowl to a city like Detroit or Cleveland. 

19 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't think it's a big issue. Players will want to come here because a) they're going to get paid, b) they like/know Patricia and/or the Patriots culture, c) they want to be part of turning around a franchise

It's going to be much more of a and b but becoming cornerstones of an offense or defense that catapults a franchise from perennial basement dweller to Super Bowl contender is an incredible opportunity. It's a way that you can cement yourself in legendary status which I think a lot of these guys would want to accomplish. You are never buying a meal or a drink for the rest of your life if you bring a Super Bowl to a city like Detroit or Cleveland. 

Sorry, I disagree with this.

• a)they're going to get paid no matter where they go.  Why would an agent risk his client for one good year, to be possibly be benched by the next regime and guaranteeing a lesser contract to come? why would a player gamble at this?
  • b) I'll give it  to you on the first half, but we are far, far, far, far, far from a Patriots culture.
  • c) at this point, we have shown we are anything but a turning around franchise. 

I'm not going to pretend we can't get a free agent, but we are going to have to overpay to get anyone of quality.  Will we get free agents, yes.  Will we overpay for them. yes.  Will the "win or be gone" mandate effect free agency, I believe it will absolutely.  If I were a professional athlete, I would look for an opportunity to win, look for guaranteed money, look for a place to settle down.  Turning around a franchise would not be very high on my list unless it was in Florida, lol. A superbowl is a hard thing to come by, and I won't be betting on Detroit with my contract in 2020.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

I think the issue with NE/Patricia system players, is there really is only here and NE to chose from.  So if NE doesn't want to pay KVN, he can come here into a similar system or he can go somewhere else and risk being like he was in Detroit the first time with a system that may not fit his skill set as well.  So do you go elsewhere and risk being cut in a year because you flopped and then cant get another job or risk it happens here if you can't turn around this crappy D. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think the issue with NE/Patricia system players, is there really is only here and NE to chose from.  So if NE doesn't want to pay KVN, he can come here into a similar system or he can go somewhere else and risk being like he was in Detroit the first time with a system that may not fit his skill set as well.  So do you go elsewhere and risk being cut in a year because you flopped and then cant get another job or risk it happens here if you can't turn around this crappy D. 

I think this is a really good point. A lot of the guys that fit with us are only going to fit in a few other places: New York Giants (if Joe Judge adopts a similar defensive philosophy), Miami, Houston, New England and Detroit. 

If you do come here and it fails, I don't know how much of that blame is going to be shouldered by the players as much as Quinn and Patricia. You're likely going to wind up being traded by a new regime if it comes to that but it could happen anywhere really. 

• Like 1

I was very underwhelmed by Jesse James this season. With Hockenson injured on and off all season, Jesse had numerous chances to step up and contribute and just didn't. I know he's more of a run blocker than a pass catcher, but I didn't see a lot of that on his part either. I really hope he finds his role next season or I wouldn't mind replacing him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I was very underwhelmed by Jesse James this season. With Hockenson injured on and off all season, Jesse had numerous chances to step up and contribute and just didn't. I know he's more of a run blocker than a pass catcher, but I didn't see a lot of that on his part either. I really hope he finds his role next season or I wouldn't mind replacing him.

Absolutely, I agree.