Hollywood Brown and Rookie WRs

AngusMcFife

Now the regular season is over, how do you think we did picking Hollywood Brown as the first WR off the board in the 2019 draft? 

I'm a fan of Hollywood and think he has great potential, but obviously his foot injury hampered him and I'm not sure we saw the best of him. He's undoubtedly a great fit for Lamar's offense. However, there were some beasts taken after him, including:

36. Deebo Samuel (57/802)

51. AJ Brown (52/1051)

64. DK Metcalf (58/900)

76. Terry McLaurin (58/919)

Other guys like Diontae Johnson and Darius Slayton were good too. Mecole Hardmen looked good but was buried a bit on the depth chart. There were plenty of guys who didn't materialize as well (Harry, Isabella, Arcega-Whiteside).

Who would be the top WR drafted if there was a re-draft?  

Brown was still the best pick for the Ravens. His semi-unique ability to absolutely torch defenses is something the Ravens haven't had. Even Torrey never really became that kind of threat... although Flacco didn't really help. I still contend his ability to throw the deep ball wasn't actually good.

Anyways, Hollywood was the way to go then and the way to go now. It's a shame that he's been hampered by the same injury all season, one he had going into the draft, but it will heal eventually. And then... :x

A.J. Brown is the most impressive rookie on the field this year though. He's a monster being able to move like that at his size. 

• Like 1

i am very satisfied. hard to compare his stats to his draft fellas due to the unique offense run in BMore with a heavy dose of passing targets shared between them TEs.

beyond his skill set as a receiver i feel its really great he hooks up with LJ on a personal basis seemingly... both seem to hang around together like always.

I think considering this current 2020 WR draft class upcoming and its strengths, Hollywood was still an excellent pick. He’s got the speed to burn... in this draft class we can find the WRs that are more of your possession/YAC options. I’m still miffed at how JJAWs isn’t working out in Philly, but I think he would’ve been a much superior fit with Lamar in this offense. Beyond that DK Metcalf is a superior version of what we got from Miles Boykin, I’m sure he was on our radar and that’s part of why DeCosta was so upset that we didn’t have that second round pick to go with as Metcalf and Brown would’ve really been a haul.

Back to Hollywood though he’s got near elite hands and superior route running skills. But his durability seriously leaves a lot to be desired. Will be interesting to see if the durability is just a blip or if this will always be a concern moving forward with him. If its just a blip, I love the pick as I think he can be the best WR in this class still... if its not then its an unfortunate gamble for sure.

If we had to go back and do it again, I'd take probably any of those guys (that were taken near him) over Hollywood, but I'd still be happy with Hollywood - that's how crazy good this WR draft class was. My only knock on Hollywood is his injury and he can't block.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

With what Marquise Brown provides as an end around guy and fast receiver who can make deep crossers with easy and on go routes, I think he was a better fit for what we needed rather than AJ Brown and Metcalf.

Mecole Hardman and McLaurin would have been good picks as well.

Metcalf in the first round I doubt would have worked well for us, but his limited role - although it is expanding, is exactly what they needed with the Seahawks. I would not have been happy if we had selected him in the first round, but if we could have had him with the second round pick, I would most likely have been happy with double dipping at WR.

18 hours ago, Danand said:

With what Marquise Brown provides as an end around guy and fast receiver who can make deep crossers with easy and on go routes, I think he was a better fit for what we needed rather than AJ Brown and Metcalf.

Mecole Hardman and McLaurin would have been good picks as well.

Metcalf in the first round I doubt would have worked well for us, but his limited role - although it is expanding, is exactly what they needed with the Seahawks. I would not have been happy if we had selected him in the first round, but if we could have had him with the second round pick, I would most likely have been happy with double dipping at WR.

He also provides such a credible over-the-top threat, even in 1 WR sets, that he fits what we do perfectly. I’m excited to see what he can offer with a full NFL offseason (getting better and more importantly getting healthy) under his belt.