2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

10 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

NFL changed rules regarding how you can spread out guarantee'd money/signing bonus.

Oh ok. Then what's up with Hargrave's contract . Seen on Twitter its like 1 million or something base salary for this season. Forget the rest of the numbers

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh

3 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Oh ok. Then what's up with Hargraves contract . Seen on Twitter its like 1 million or something base salary for this season. Forget the rest of the numbers

We also used to extend people after their 2nd season/during their 3rd, now you have to wait at least 3 full seasons iirc, so you can't get a jump on the inevitable inflation. Howie/Andy used to be very good at identifying players who were going to be good before they became good in their 3rd/4th season, and would sign them to mid-level deals before the pro bowl votes starting coming in. We draft like crap now, so it doesn't really matter, but we were getting guys like Trent Cole at huge discounts.

I haven't seen the breakdown, and maybe NFL changed rules again.

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

We also used to extend people after their 2nd season/during their 3rd, now you have to wait at least 3 full seasons iirc, so you can't get a jump on the inevitable inflation. Howie/Andy used to be very good at identifying players who were going to be good before they became good in their 3rd/4th season, and would sign them to mid-level deals.

I haven't seen the breakdown, and maybe NFL changed rules again.

I'll see if I can find it again

14 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Yea, I don't know how it works. I think you subtract his total signing bonus from his base salary the first year, but I don't know why. Then that #, plus his workout bonus, plus his yearly portion of the total signing bonus adds up to his cap hit, which is just 5.16M this year.

That's actually a classic Howie contract. We're really only on the books for him next year, then have an easy out if we don't want him year 3. But we will want him.

I don't know who Hargraves agent is, but I hope we work with him more often.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

We got some serious cash on the books for 2021 between Hargrave (16.9M), Cox (22.4M), Wentz (34.6M), Ertz (12.7M), Brooks (14.5M), Lane (16.5M), B Rex (17.9M), and Malik Jackson (13.6M). 

Hopefully Trufant is down for a 1 year prove-it deal.

4 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Malik Jackson is nearly a guarantee to not be here after this season according to Adam Caplan.

If he has a huge year, he will hold out and will get cut

If he has a bad year, he will get cut

Those are the 2 ways I see this ending

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:
2 minutes ago, Danger said:

>Draft 3 LBs when we only ever put 2 on the field? Brilliant

2 LB's total with our training staff? Brilliant.

I say we just get rid of the positions, go with a 5-0-6...but then again it's already hard to imagine Howie getting us to 4 solid starters back there.

• Like 1