Divisional Round: Baltimore Ravens (14-2) vs Tennessee Titans (10-7)

diamondbull424

Just now, drd23 said:

This was statistically one of the greatest regular-season teams ever.  It'll take one hell of an effort to be better next year.

Unless you are talking about play-off performances, in which case that shouldn't be too hard :( 

True. Sad, but true 

Just now, DreamKid said:

What is everyone's escapism route of choice at times like these?

I like to flip my brain and start digesting solely non English(language) material for a good stretch. Works well enough. 

Honestly, as I get older these losses bother me less and less. 19 year old me would be devastated.

• Like 1

Roman has been getting CUTE all year. He’s been overrated in his play calling because Lamar is an elite talent that makes the system light years better. Roman is an elite OL coach however, he did a great job with turning the team around in that capacity. But the pass routes on this team are garbage. We also I think should trade Hayden Hurst, after this game I’m convinced that 1) we’re not going to utilize him 2) his emotions are getting to him as he doesn’t like being underutilized 3) we can still probably get solid enough value for him 4) his role can largely be replaced with a day 2-3 pick, that we secure in return... and said player wouldn’t have the ego of feeling they need to validate their 1st round draft position.

Perhaps something like a sign and trade of Yannick Ngakoue (who is likely gone anyway). Then we can go into the draft with looking at a heaving emphasis in improving the interior pass rush, it’s a SERIOUS problem how we can’t get ANY push upfront.

Would be targeting guys like Javon Kinlaw, Neville Gallimore, etc. Guys that have freakish athleticism that we can develop into studs. That and address the WR position. Roberts will not be brought back. Snead should only be relied on as a #3 WR at best. And Miles Boykin hasn’t shown enough to be confident in. Hollywood balled out and gave a glimpse of what we might be able to expect of him next season, he’s going to need help with a sufficient running mate. Someone with elite hands and concentration.

Edited by diamondbull424

A lot of the things some of us worried about all along reared their heads tonight and in that sense we were never as good as maybe you'd expect a 14-2 team to be. I know it looks like a blowout but I truly believe tonight came down to just a couple of plays. Andrews bobbles a pass off his hands for a pick when we were coasting for a touchdown to take a lead. Jonnu Smith makes a one in a million one handed touchdown catch. Seth Roberts drops a decently long gain leading to a failed 4th down conversion, Tannehill hits one big pass play and literally the game is over. That was it. They were all easily nullified if guys made plays but no one made them.

I hope in the long run this is just the loss that course-corrects for us. We still have a special QB and anyone who pins tonight on him is crazy. But he needs real help. We spent all year relying on A+ scheming to get around the fact that the likes of Willie Snead and Seth Roberts were playmakers for us and tonight they reminded us why that seemed crazy. We need real weapons next year, we need better D-Linemen, and we need Harbaugh and Co. to keep their heads next year. But this is a process and if there's one thing I know about Lamar it's that he's not gonna take this lying down. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Honestly, as I get older these losses bother me less and less. 19 year old me would be devastated.

Yup. These games... we have no control over whatsoever. The older I get the more mentally invested I become in things that I can actually affect. That's partially why I've been posting less often this season even though it was a great one. And partially because I work a ton and I don't want to expend the effort to get down to some serious debating. xD

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

Same. Now it's just like swatting away a mosquito in terms of annoyance. Still aggravating, but in the end it's whatever. 

Agreed. The most annoying part of this loss will be the Browns fans who have nothing better with their lives than to hate the Ravens 24/7. Crazy looking at that thread in NFL Gen where they link to Harbaugh being hired and Browns fans being the first and loudest about how hard the Ravens made a mistake... then revisiting those Lamar threads... honestly I plan to escape this loss with some level grinding in FE, maybe I’ll finally decide to watch YOU ssn2, but after some of the mini-spoilers in this thread, I’m now concerned that I shouldn’t watch it... that it will be terrible plot or something.

Probably throw myself into watching some game tap of players as well.

Michael Pierce was an Elite DI last year that was beginning to establish himself as a credible threat against the Pass, along with his expected LOS resetting dominance. He went from that, to just a really good template NT. Under the radar impact loss/drop off for us. 

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

honestly I plan to escape this loss with some level grinding in FE, maybe I’ll finally decide to watch YOU ssn2, but after some of the mini-spoilers in this thread, I’m now concerned that I shouldn’t watch it... that it will be terrible plot or something.

Probably throw myself into watching some game tap of players as well.

What's FE?

I've never heard of 'You' either, but that sucks you got spoiled. Our GDTs have their random moments lol.

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

When I heard Wink say he was disappointed he didn't get the Giants job, that was a red flag for me. These coordinators think they're hot sh*t when Lamar was carrying their jock the whole season. 

Yeah that was bull- they were clearly more focused on job interviews than on finishing this season... and instead they got neither. I don’t think it was the time off that was the biggest issue, it was these trash coordinators not focusing on doing their jobs and letting everything else play itself out. They got greedy and their players that had their backs all season suffered because of it. I can’t blame Harbaugh for wanting to help advance guys careers, but it was a distraction before the game and looks like all the bigger a distraction after the results of this game. They had no trick plays devised after ALL that time? They hadn’t a good drive script to beat the Titans after all that time? Pathetic. 

• Like 2

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah that was bull- they were clearly more focused on job interviews than on finishing this season... and instead they got neither. I don’t think it was the time off that was the biggest issue, it was these trash coordinators not focusing on doing their jobs and letting everything else play itself out. They got greedy and their players that had their backs all season suffered because of it. I can’t blame Harbaugh for wanting to help advance guys careers, but it was a distraction before the game and looks like all the bigger a distraction after the results of this game. They had no trick plays devised after ALL that time? They hadn’t a good drive script to beat the Titans after all that time? Pathetic. 

Lmao