BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

I don't think there's any sort of realistic chance he goes back just because of the Jets. This narrative gets brought up every year, it happened last year with Burrow. It's just a ridiculous media talking point to stir up controversy and get views.

Let's also remember that he's getting his degree in a month, so IF he stays, (unlikely at best), it won't be to finish up his degree and will purely be from a Clemson football related decision. I'm having a hard time envisioning leaving tens of millions guaranteed on the table while holding my degree to come back for one more year and postpone my career, even if it is the Jets.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Let's also remember that he's getting his degree in a month, so IF he stays, (unlikely at best), it won't be to finish up his degree and will purely be from a Clemson football related decision. I'm having a hard time envisioning leaving tens of millions guaranteed on the table while holding my degree to come back for one more year and postpone my career, even if it is the Jets.

Plus, he's already won ONE National Title...and the only guy I can remember who has done something similar is Matt Leinart, who wasn't even close to the prospect that Lawrence was, even without the benefit of revisionist history.

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I know ppl think he won't, i think there's a chance he does.

That would be a colossally stupid mistake. If he doesn't want to play for the Jets, he'll pull an Eli and force a trade. I don't think the Jets would even be all that upset, to be honest.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

He has 2 more years of eligibility so it could be 2023 before he decides to come out

No, he has 1 more year of eligibility unless there's some obscure college rule where you can play five full seasons without getting hurt. EDIT: He may fall under the weird COVID rules for this season, actually, which is an interesting wrinkle.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

That would be a colossally stupid mistake. If he doesn't want to play for the Jets, he'll pull an Eli and force a trade. I don't think the Jets would even be all that upset, to be honest.

No, he has 1 more year of eligibility unless there's some obscure college rule where you can play five full seasons without getting hurt. EDIT: He may fall under the weird COVID rules for this season, actually, which is an interesting wrinkle.

This year doesn't count against anyone's eligibility as per the NCAA, so he is playing on a "free year". There for technically he still has 2 years of eligibility. Having said that, it would be quite shocking if he held off that long.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

This year doesn't count against anyone's eligibility as per the NCAA, so he is playing on a "free year". There for technically he still has 2 years of eligibility. Having said that, it would be quite shocking if he held off that long.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that and didn't remember the exact details. Don't think it matters to most of these guys, though.

Just now, Blue said:

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that and didn't remember the exact details. Don't think it matters to most of these guys, though.

I could be mistaken on the details but I agree for most of these guys it doesn't matter.

I do wonder in cases like Waddle and Marvin Wilson who suffered season ending injuries if they might consider returning to school

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I could be mistaken on the details but I agree for most of these guys it doesn't matter.

I do wonder in cases like Waddle and Marvin Wilson who suffered season ending injuries if they might consider returning to school

Waddle I think no because he's still going high. Wilson was having a down year so maybe he comes back to try to rehab his draft stock a little? Although that could just as easily backfire if he has another down year, I think it's best to strike while the iron is hot.

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Did Marv Wilson get hurt? I totally missed that. Waddle is probably WR2 and a top-10 pick unless there's something really wrong with his ankle.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah but would he want to leave the millions from Clemson to join the Jets?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yeah but would he want to leave the millions from Clemson to join the Jets?

That's also a very valid question. He may very well try to pull an Elway/Eli, but I'm not sure what he'd be willing to do to avoid the Jets...let's remember that Elway had baseball to threaten them with. (I always loved the story of Bo Jackson screwing the Bucs after they screwed him out of his last year at Auburn for baseball btw, but not a good comparison here.) Plus, the other factor to consider is, even if he forced his way out, he'd be boxing himself into a situation where his current team has given up, in all likelihood, a king's ransom to get him, making it also a less than desirable team to play for.

About the only desirable situation I could see that ending up for him would be if Dallas tagged/traded Dak to the NY Jets in a package to move up to get Lawrence to lessen the blow for the Franchise and surround him with a ton of offensive firepower and a decent, albeit not nearly as dominant as 3 years ago OL.

• Like 1