Offseason To-Do List: Coaching Staff

Beck Bristow

1 hour ago, Carson4MVP said:

I’m not in the camp of thinking the coaching staff is bad. But it does seem like an obvious miss for Burrow’s continued growth to not get Brady. 

1) I was definitely wrong

2) what position would the Bengals be offering? Would Brady really be interested in a position other than offensive coordinator? Because they weren't getting rid of Callahan. 

1 hour ago, theJ said:

2) what position would the Bengals be offering? Would Brady really be interested in a position other than offensive coordinator? Because they weren't getting rid of Callahan. 

2 is a perfect illustration of the problems with this franchise. It's not clear exactly where the line between Callahan and Taylor is but the idea that we can't upgrade any position unless the incumbent voluntarily departs is loserthink.  The one advantage of keeping Brian Callahan around is it gives us a hook to hire Bill for our O-line job. But Taylor won't fire the bully so we are blocked from upgrading there. It's just error compounding error. 

7 hours ago, theJ said:

I think you can get creative. QB coach, with an associate HC title could entice him. He just witnessed the greatest season in football history by a QB firsthand. Hard not to want to hitch your wagon to that, imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

I think you can get creative. QB coach, with an associate HC title could entice him. He just witnessed the greatest season in football history by a QB firsthand. Hard not to want to hitch your wagon to that, imo. 

I think Brady is more interested in building his resume by calling plays. No matter what prestigious title we threw at him he wasn't going to get that opportunity with Zac at the helm.

I think many are giving Brady too much credit.  Yes, he changed the offensive system into a pro style one.  Yes, LSU needed to step out of the dark ages on offense, tho it could be argued that they hadn't felt pressured to with guys like Guice and Fournette there, until Alabama put up so many points that they had to adjust to keep up.  Brady installed the system, but Burrow made the throws, the adjustments, the audibles, the protection calls, etc.  

What if callahan had that job.  Wouldn't he do the same thing?  Point being, Brady did his job.

From all accounts, the locker room here is quite cohesive.  Why mess with that by bringing in Brady?  Would we be saying this about any other young and coming NFL OC?  We kind of did with Taylor.  Let's give this two to three years to see how it gels moving forward.

• Like 2

Brady is a good coach. but he didn't invent football, offense or teach Joe Burrow everything he knows.  I would like to see Taylor give up play calling,  I think there are other things a head coach should be focused on during the game.  I'm fine with Callahan in that role though. 

• Like 2

Burrow improved instantly when Brady arrived on campus. If Burrow had only improved slightly from 2018 to 2019, he'd be a mid round prospect. 

Brady probably knows more about NFL offenses than Taylor does. If Taylor were fired, I doubt another team would hire him right away as their OC, while Brady got snapped up the day after his season ended.

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Brady is a good coach. but he didn't invent football, offense or teach Joe Burrow everything he knows.  I would like to see Taylor give up play calling,  I think there are other things a head coach should be focused on during the game.  I'm fine with Callahan in that role though. 

I’m just looking to give Burrow as much stability as we can. He is going to be in his 3rd offense now in 3 years. Who knows what happens. If we struggle on offense for some reason and we bring in another OC next year, you are looking at 4 in 4 years. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. Brady and Burrow worked magic this past year together. Would have loved to see him continue to grow under him. I don’t think it’s the end of the world we didn’t get him, just a missed opportunity for some instant stability for the kid. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Burrow improved instantly when Brady arrived on campus. If Burrow had only improved slightly from 2018 to 2019, he'd be a mid round prospect. 

Brady probably knows more about NFL offenses than Taylor does. If Taylor were fired, I doubt another team would hire him right away as their OC, while Brady got snapped up the day after his season ended.

Burrow improved because he was put in a system that fit his strengths.  Do you really think that Brady is the only coach out there capable of designing asn offense based on the QBs abilities?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

It's also important to note that the opposite statement was true at this time last year.

Football and the NFL is very reactionary, and this is the latest reaction.  The opinions on these guys will be different in another year, yours included.

The funny thing is, Brady is very much a one year wonder.  The exact same kind of hire that the Bengals made last year, that Sparky doesn't like now.

Heck, he was only the Passing Game Coordinator for LSU.  That's reactionary BS to kick out Callahan and Taylor after one year of injury riddled offense for a guy who also has no experience calling plays and running an offense.

Not saying it would have been bad to bring him on, but man that's about as reactionary and hypocritical of a suggested hire as i've heard this offseason.

EDIT: come to think of it, Brady's resume is basically identical to Taylor's at this time last year (one year wonder as a passing game coordinator).  This post will probably go ignored, or there will be some weird justification as to why Brady is 10x the coach Callahan is, but it just doesn't make logical sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Steve Ensminger is the LSU offensive coordinator.   Maybe the Bengals should fire Callahan and hire this guy instead?  I mean, LSU had a good year, and the Bengals offense didn't.

LSU had more above average NFL quality starters on their offense than Cincinnati did.