Positions big money should NOT be spent on

mar29020

37 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I am not spending big money on a TE unless they are in that realm of where Gronk was at his peak or where Kittle is right now.

I think it depends on the player. Like Kelce is worth it as is Ertz. If Reed would’ve stayed healthy he was every bit worth his contract bc every year w/o injuries his production would be like his 2015 season w/ 87 receptions, 952 yards and 11 TDs.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Honest question, how do you improve your secondary if you're not willing to invest in one of the position groups at all?

Honest answer?

The front 7 can make average secondary look elite. Big money should flow from the lines, out. 

That being said, there are 22 positions. I'm not saying bring in guys off the street to play these 4. Just that these would be the lowest paid players on the team.

And I also offered the caveat that for exceptional play by an exceptional player, I'd pay up for.

• Like 2

I could argue on Spending money for Saftey based on playoff teams left with great Safties
Ravens-Earl Thomas(IR Tony Jefferson)
Chiefs-Honey Badger(Used top pick on Thornhill this year)
Texans-Justin Reid above average saftey at least
Titans-Kevin Byard

49ers-doesn't fit my case
Packers-Amos(Used 1st pick on Savage)
Seahawks-doesn't really fit my case
Vikings-Harrison Smith,Anthony Harris(Led in Ints)

Other playoff Safties include McCourty,Jenkins,and Hyde

Only really not top tier Safties that missed that come to mind are Derwin James(Injury),Jamal Adams(Lack of pass rush on D),Eddie Jackson(Trubisky),FitzPatrick prob got to elite status this year and you can't say he wasn't worth what the Steelers gave for him,and Collins if you consider him here

19 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I could argue on Spending money for Saftey based on playoff teams left with great Safties
Titans-Kevin Byard

Only really not top tier Safties that missed that come to mind are Derwin James(Injury),Jamal Adams(Lack of pass rush on D),Eddie Jackson(Trubisky),FitzPatrick prob got to elite status this year and you can't say he wasn't worth what the Steelers gave for him,and Collins if you consider him here

All of those teams made the playoffs because they have great QBs, not because of their Safeties.  

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

All of those teams made the playoffs because they have great QBs, not because of their Safeties.  

Wouldn't call Tannehill Jimmy G or Kirk Great

Not saying they made it cause the Safties,but it more then a coincidence to me that most top names you hear when talking Safties was in playoffs.

Better arguement against QB in this case to me would be almost all these teams excell at getting to the qb with their pass rush

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Titans-Kevin Byard

Fair. Also fair to point out that Jalen Ramsey, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Keanu Neal, Ha Ha (haha), Landon Collins, JBIII, etc didn;t make it.

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

They have good defenses in part bc they can cover. It all goes together. You can’t win games if you only are good in a few areas, you have to be near complete. 

On 1/9/2020 at 3:57 PM, MikeT14 said:

Fair. Also fair to point out that Jalen Ramsey, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Keanu Neal, Ha Ha (haha), Landon Collins, JBIII, etc didn;t make it.

Minkah Fitzmagic came pretty close to the playoffs considering the awful QB play the Steelers has this year from Rudolph & Duck at the end of the year after Big Ben went down. They were 8-8 despite all their injuries on offense, just one game away from the playoffs. If they had won one of the last two weeks games over the Bills or Ravens they go to the playoffs over the Titans.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Honest answer?

The front 7 can make average secondary look elite. Big money should flow from the lines, out. 

That being said, there are 22 positions. I'm not saying bring in guys off the street to play these 4. Just that these would be the lowest paid players on the team.

And I also offered the caveat that for exceptional play by an exceptional player, I'd pay up for.

I agree with just about all of this.  I do think paying a top tier "center field" free safety is worth the investment though.  Not many of those guys hit the FA market, and when they do, it's usually because they are pushing 30 or over (see Earl Thomas) 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 10:54 AM, Thaiphoon said:

Honest answer?

Examples of this?

It's mostly a false theory that has proved wrong over and over by me for a decade.

The only time I can honestly think of  you and Mknight’s love affair with average safety play but still having a great defense being the case was the 2015 Panthers when their secondary talent was just average but bc their linebacking corps was elite, their D was.

Going throughout the history of the NFL though that's usually not been the case. The best defenses in NFL history had great talent at all 3 levels and heck, the 2000 Ravens had Hall of Fame talent at every level but their DL and the Steelers w/ Polumalu had a great defense in large part bc their Hall of Fame SS... Not even a FS! Their Hall of Fame SS!

Again, it's about the players, not the position!

Look at the Redskins from last decade. Our DL was below average at pass rush but great run stuffers. Our LB corps and secondary were elite so we had a great defense. A great secondary can be just as important as a great DL if your secondary is elite and w/ Taylor, Clark, Springs & Smoot when we were an elite secondary while our down 4’s pass rush was pedestrian in 04 & 05.

Edited by turtle28

19 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I'm paying or drafting a FS that can cover the backend of the field for us. Leaving less deep coverage duties to Collins. Let Collins play the middle and the run. The guy I want out of the draft is Xavier McKinney. 

You're not going to be able to unless we trade down.