Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

We don’t have a bottom 5 OL. It wasn’t that bad last year. Until Cousins improves upon his miserable record against teams above .500, he will always be questioned. And it’s going to take more than one game to show he’s turned the corner. I assume most Vikings fans are frustrated being a good regular season team that usually fails in the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Gross. This is the real reason the vikings have never won a SB, our fans simply don’t have any faith. 

We would rather keep throwing darts at the board for another 20 years than appreciate the franchise QB that we do have.  Apparently 26 TDs to 6 INTs behind a bottom-5 OL isn’t good enough. Our surrounding talent is championship caliber obviously, its just that Cousins isn’t good enough to get us over the hump!

Absolutely disgusting. 

Yes, the fans are the reason the team has never won a Super Bowl.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm glad we have a lot of picks this year. We might need to hit on all of them haha

I don't think we should be looking at keeping all the picks. Trade up to secure the guys they want. Let's not fool ourself thinking 10+ rookies are starters\backups. This is a build year, with 2021 being a fesible year for winning, if they go with a 2 year plan (as opposed to retool in one offseason)

8 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Gross. This is the real reason the vikings have never won a SB, our fans simply don’t have any faith. 

We would rather keep throwing darts at the board for another 20 years than appreciate the franchise QB that we do have.  Apparently 26 TDs to 6 INTs behind a bottom-5 OL isn’t good enough. Our surrounding talent is championship caliber obviously, its just that Cousins isn’t good enough to get us over the hump!

Absolutely disgusting. 

How long is enough time? If after 4 years and taking up a large percentage of the cap he gives them 1 playoff win, does he still deserve more time? Geniunely curious. In my opinion if he doesn't deliver this year they absolutely must start contingency planning. It would be irresponsible to not have a plan B. Stats are great, but when they don't match outcomes something has to change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KeithVikings28 said:

We are going to sign Jadeveon Clowney.

Now that would make the offseason interesting. I’d assume for that to happen, Harris would have to be traded. Zimmer knows how to get that type motivated to play and with Hunter here, there wouldn’t be pressure to have to be the guy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

How long is enough time? If after 4 years and taking up a large percentage of the cap he gives them 1 playoff win, does he still deserve more time? Geniunely curious. In my opinion if he doesn't deliver this year they absolutely must start contingency planning. It would be irresponsible to not have a plan B. Stats are great, but when they don't match outcomes something has to change.

I have thought all along that they should have a contingency plan for Cousins.  It's why I've been pushing for them drafting a QB this year, maybe not in the 1st round, but certainly by the 3rd or 4th.  But, if it's not done this year, it definitely should be in the plans next year to take one early, because there has to be a contingency plan.  They can't wait until they've made the determination that he can't cut it.  They need to make Kirk prove it again and again...Spielman has always preached competition...that shouldn't exclude the QB.  Kirk isn't Christian Ponder, who would melt down at the sight of another QB.  He can handle it.  He handled it fighting with RGIII.    

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The surrounding talent hasn’t been nearly good enough for me to throw in the towel on Cousins yet.  He certainly has shown enough for me to want the team to build around him. 

Just seems like people expect Cousins to have won a SB with this roster, which is dumb as hell.  If you watched closely last year, we had terrible pass protection, average run blocking, no WR threats besides Diggs when Thielen was down, terrible play from both DTs, and a secondary that lived below expectations the entire season.  

I hate to break it to you guys, but Patrick Mahomes wouldn’t have won the SB with this roster last year. We NEED to quit pinning all of the teams shortcomings on Cousins. Sure, he isn’t blameless but you would think the guy is Ponder with how people talk about him around here. 

51 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

We don’t have a bottom 5 OL. It wasn’t that bad last year. Until Cousins improves upon his miserable record against teams above .500, he will always be questioned. And it’s going to take more than one game to show he’s turned the corner. I assume most Vikings fans are frustrated being a good regular season team that usually fails in the playoffs. 

Yes, the OL was very bad. Does bottom-10 work for you?  Tough to beat above .500 teams like GB when your LT gets beat by Za’Darius Smith damn near every pass rush snap. Don’t get me started on Elflein and Bradbury. 

A new QB doesn’t fix the rest of the holes on our roster. Beating teams above .500 takes a good team. 

Edited by Duff Man
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

The surrounding talent hasn’t been nearly good enough for me to throw in the towel on Cousins yet.  He certainly has shown enough for me to want the team to build around him. 

Just seems like people expect Cousins to have won a SB with this roster, which is dumb as hell.  If you watched closely last year, we had terrible pass protection, average run blocking, no WR threats besides Diggs when Thielen was down, terrible play from both DTs, and a secondary that lived below expectations the entire season.  

I hate to break it to you guys, but Patrick Mahomes wouldn’t have won the SB with this roster last year. We NEED to quit pinning all of the teams shortcomings on Cousins. Sure, he isn’t blameless but you would think the guy is Ponder with how people talk about him around here. 

That's fine - but you didn't answer the question.

No one is pinning the TEAM's shortcoming on Cousins, but they certainly are pinning his shortcomings on him.

Everyone recognizes that our offensive line doesn't pass protect well, but Cousins also shows poor pocket awareness - the two are mutually exclusive.  Throughout his career he's shown to be a GOOD, scheme dependent and risk-averse, QB that doesn't elevate the talent around him, can't create on his own, and that's just fine... when it's on a rookie contract that allows you to spend money and build the team around him or you've already got young/impact players on cheap deals.

The type of QB he is isn't going to magically change, and now that he takes up a good percentage of the cap, the ability to build around him is minimized... which hurts his ability to live up to the contract.  If the Vikings hit some home runs in the draft and have some impact players on low-cost deals, then we have a chance to be a playoff-caliber team, but unless that happens, Cousins hasn't shown anything to warrant saying he's the type of QB that can lead a team on one, let alone multiple, Super Bowl runs when he's THE guy.

Having Cousins at QB puts the team on the edge of a blade in terms of what has to go right in order for them to compete.  Franchise QB's widen that surface area.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, RpMc said:

No one is pinning the TEAM's shortcoming on Cousins, but they certainly are pinning his shortcomings on him.

Everyone recognizes that our offensive line doesn't pass protect well, but Cousins also shows poor pocket awareness - the two are mutually exclusive.  Throughout his career he's shown to be a GOOD, scheme dependent and risk-averse, QB that doesn't elevate the talent around him, can't create on his own, and that's just fine... when it's on a rookie contract that allows you to spend money and build the team around him or you've already got young/impact players on cheap deals.

The type of QB he is isn't going to magically change, and now that he takes up a good percentage of the cap, the ability to build around him is minimized... which hurts his ability to live up to the contract.  If the Vikings hit some home runs in the draft and have some impact players on low-cost deals, then we have a chance to be a playoff-caliber team, but unless that happens, Cousins hasn't shown anything to warrant saying he's the type of QB that can lead a team on one, let alone multiple, Super Bowl runs when he's THE guy.

Having Cousins at QB puts the team on the edge of a blade in terms of what has to go right in order for them to compete.  Franchise QB's widen that surface area.

So Eloquent. Much Like.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

That's fine - but you didn't answer the question.

I don’t have a finite answer for you man, don’t be oblivious to everything I just said. 

If the team isn’t built properly, we’re not going anywhere regardless of who the QB is.  Not sure what you expect from Cousins, I was pretty impressed by them winning a playoff game this season. 

Edited by Duff Man