Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

30 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Plus Hughes was seeing a lot of playing time early in his rookie year before his injury.

He was more of the exception because he picked up Zimmer's system so quickly.  Zimmer was extremely pleased/surprised at how he did so.

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He was more of the exception because he picked up Zimmer's system so quickly.  Zimmer was extremely pleased/surprised at how he did so.

Oh for sure. Waynes and Alexander hardly played their rookie years so there's more evidence of that. However, it's all about finding the right guys. He will play rookies if the show they can handle it, but it's on Rick to find those guys.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Is it even a good/deep CB class?

I really like the talent in the first 2 rounds. It gets a bit sparse after that as far as for the types of CB that Zimmer looks for. Okudah, Henderson, Gladney, Igbenoghene, Fulton, Arnette, Jaylon Johnson, and A.J. Terrell are all good players that should go in the first 2 rounds.

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

I really like the talent in the first 2 rounds. It gets a bit sparse after that as far as for the types of CB that Zimmer looks for. Okudah, Henderson, Gladney, Igbenoghene, Fulton, Arnette, Jaylon Johnson, and A.J. Terrell are all good players that should go in the first 2 rounds.

I’d assume all of these players have good 40s and length. That’s what Zimmer/Spielman like. 

8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Will Treadwell net us a comp pick?

He qualifies as as a loss in the compensatory formula. When the net loss of compensatory qualifying free agents is greater than four the team only gets the four highest compensatory picks, however.

The Vikings currently have lost 6 and gained one compensatory free agent for a net loss of five. That likely will not hold as the Vikings sign a role player or two or teams cut players throughout the process.

Treadwell, Sendejo, and Kearse all could end up being cut before the qualifying date. I don't see much of a chance of Waynes, Weatherly, or Alexander not making their new teams given the guarantees in their contracts. I don't actually know the guarantees in Alexander's contract but $4M seems like such a good deal for his services that it is hard to imagine him not making it. I suppose it is possible he just won't fit in there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RpMc said:

They're the type of offseasons that you eventually have when you pay a QB

So many other teams are paying as much or more than Cousins. They have some room to make some moves for the holes they have but haven't.

It feels like the Harris things is really halting everything 

24 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

So many other teams are paying as much or more than Cousins. They have some room to make some moves for the holes they have but haven't.

It feels like the Harris things is really halting everything 

Who? Teams who are paying "franchise" QB money tend to hemorrhage players, unless they continually push money down the road like the Saints are doing with Brees, or have impact players on rookie deals.  Our defense was/is older and expensive, and we have/had a lot of money tied up in Thielen/Rudolph/Reiff on the offense.

also have to keep in mind that we were over the expected cap until Griffen opted out. 

Edited by RpMc

23 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Who? Teams who are paying "franchise" QB money tend to hemorrhage players, unless they continually push money down the road like the Saints are doing with Brees, or have impact players on rookie deals.  Our defense was/is older and expensive, and we have/had a lot of money tied up in Thielen/Rudolph/Reiff on the offense.

also have to keep in mind that we were over the expected cap until Griffen opted out. 

Seattle, Philly, Green Bay last year, and to be honest, the Saints. I've been hearing about them kicking it down the road for years so either they are going to just have a year where they are completely hosed or it's been overblown.

I wasn't expecting a major haul this off-season at all. But they have some pretty glaring holes right now which makes it frustrating when you see very reasonable deals for positions of need while they sit here having signed a Nose Tackle. I like the signing, don't get me wrong, but it does seem a bit confusing that that was their first move with two holes a CB, WR, and at least one offensive lineman.

1 hour ago, byuvike88 said:

Seattle, Philly, Green Bay last year, and to be honest, the Saints. I've been hearing about them kicking it down the road for years so either they are going to just have a year where they are completely hosed or it's been overblown.

I wasn't expecting a major haul this off-season at all. But they have some pretty glaring holes right now which makes it frustrating when you see very reasonable deals for positions of need while they sit here having signed a Nose Tackle. I like the signing, don't get me wrong, but it does seem a bit confusing that that was their first move with two holes a CB, WR, and at least one offensive lineman.

Again, those teams had some young talent, and also had to chop a few pieces in order to add. Seattle cast off Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett, Bruce Irvin, Jimmy Graham, Doug Baldwin retiring within the last two years, but then got rookie deal contributions from the likes of Shaq Griffin, DK Metcalf, Chris Carson et all

Green Bay never spent money on outside free agents until recently, let players like Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, HaHa Clinton-Dix, Nick Perry, Clay Matthews, and cutting Mike Daniels go. Yeah, they made a splash last off-season but have only really signed Christian Kirksey this offseason, and lost Bryan Bulaga. Rookie contract contributions from Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, and a host of interior offensive lineman. 

As far as Brees goes, they continually restructured him to the point where he still would have counted for $21.3M against the cap had he not even played this year. 

Those three QBs are also in a higher tier than Cousins, so those teams can make it work with lesser/younger talent on offense  

Edited by RpMc