Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

2 hours ago, vikestyle said:

What would you think about packaging our 1st (#22) and second to move up into the teens, and then trading back with #25? There are several teams with 2 seconds. I look at a team like Houston who has #40 and #57. Then we could get 1 top tier talent, and 2 starters in the second.

I mean it'll all depend who's there.

I'm not the type to say you NEED to trade up just to trade up but if a Jedrick Wills or Tristan Wirfs is falling to the mid teens, then you should trade up and grab them.

I should say I'm not 100% against trading back. If things fall where there's just an unbelievable surplus of talent where we need it, then I wouldn't mind getting a pair of earlier seconds for 25. I just don't want Rick to do his "I can turn this third into a 4th and two 6ths!!!! YAY!" type of thing when there's talent to be had in the 3rd.

• Like 2

I'm not against moving up if there's a guy we really want and are confident in him. 

I'm kind of wanting us to move back with one of the picks and get an additional 2nd/3rd to try and get as many potential starters as possible. They love to get those top 100 picks, and I feel this draft is fairly deep for corners and WRs that can contribute for us.

13 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I dunno but I just have a bad feeling about this season. We have holes in really valuable spots right now.

This is the first season in awhile where we will be forced to lean on a lot of young and unproved players, which is similar to where the team was back on 2013-2014. It’s not a huge concern but the team might have a bumpy season. Fortunately, there is still more top end talent on this roster than the 2013-2014 roster and Cousins is worlds better than first year/second year Teddy. I think we will be competitive and a playoff berth with a much more unproven roster is probably enough of a morale victory for leadership to remain entact.

• Like 1

I think we will still be able to compete for the divison this season and at the very least be in the battle for a wildcard. We should be stronger at center just from Bradbury not being a rookie and I think we also up graded on Linval with Pierce, we have work to do in the secondary but it was already one of our biggest weaknesses.

We have 2 bigish holes to fill with the losses of Griffen and Diggs, Griffen already ran hot and cold so we should be able to replace his production rather easily in the draft. A deep WR class and with our style of offense we dont necessarily need to replace Diggs but we have the fire power to get some top talent.

Outside of the Diggs trade, it’s hard to say that the Vikings haven’t made any moves that were really unexpected. 

Many were expecting a Cousins extension. It happened  

Many were expecting Griffen to void his contract. He did.

Many were expecting tenders for Wilson and Ham. Ham got a contract, and Wilson got tendered.

Many were expecting the team to release Xavier Rhodes and Linval Joseph, and maybe even Riley Reiff. They cut Rhodes and Joseph, and they cut Kline instead of Reiff. 

Many expected them to bring Colquitt and Bailey back. They did. 

Many though that the team would only be able to afford one of Waynes, Harris, and Alexander. They kept one, Harris (so far).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Outside of the Diggs trade, it’s hard to say that the Vikings haven’t made any moves that were really unexpected. 

Many were expecting a Cousins extension. It happened  

Many were expecting Griffen to void his contract. He did.

Many were expecting tenders for Wilson and Ham. Ham got a contract, and Wilson got tendered.

Many were expecting the team to release Xavier Rhodes and Linval Joseph, and maybe even Riley Reiff. They cut Rhodes and Joseph, and they cut Kline instead of Reiff. 

Many expected them to bring Colquitt and Bailey back. They did. 

Many though that the team would only be able to afford one of Waynes, Harris, and Alexander. They kept one, Harris (so far).

Agree.  I'm not sure, outside of the Diggs and Kline situations, that we should be really surprised at anything that's been done to this point.

• Like 1

I look at the roster situation and see needs for starters or high end contributors at these positions:

OL:  Need at least 1 starter at G or T.

DE:  Need a starter or rotational player if Griffen is gone

CB:  Lots of uncertainty here both starting and depth

WR:  Need a 2/3 WR opposite Thielen

DT:  Interior pass rush help is needed.

With that in mind, I think trading down with one of the first round picks is a good strategy to consider.  There seems to be some positional depth and rankings in the early first through early fourth that might allow the team to address more needs. 

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agree.  I'm not sure, outside of the Diggs and Kline situations, that we should be really surprised at anything that's been done to this point.

I’m still surprised more of an effort hasn’t been made to add a CB at this point. I figured they’d grab one quick knowing that Waynes was going to be pricey and Rhodes was going to be a cap casualty. The CB market still has some decent players and it was slow to pickup, I just don’t know how you go into the draft with no slot CB on the roster and just Hughes and Hill as your boundary CBs.

Someone like Trufant or Desir would have made sense. Or even Logan Ryan to play slot.

43 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m still surprised more of an effort hasn’t been made to add a CB at this point. I figured they’d grab one quick knowing that Waynes was going to be pricey and Rhodes was going to be a cap casualty. The CB market still has some decent players and it was slow to pickup, I just don’t know how you go into the draft with no slot CB on the roster and just Hughes and Hill as your boundary CBs.

Someone like Trufant or Desir would have made sense. Or even Logan Ryan to play slot.

Maybe it's because CBs are so expensive and this team is cash strapped. My guess is they see value in some high round rookies.

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Zimmer never values playing rookie CBs, that’s why this is baffling to me. 

In reality, he doesn’t currently “have” to play a rookie CB. They’ve got players on the roster in year two and beyond that can play the top three corner spots (to what ability level remains to be seen...)

This team has spent first and second round picks on corners often, and I expect that to continue. 

17 minutes ago, RpMc said:

In reality, he doesn’t currently “have” to play a rookie CB. They’ve got players on the roster in year two and beyond that can play the top three corner spots (to what ability level remains to be seen...)

This team has spent first and second round picks on corners often, and I expect that to continue. 

Plus Hughes was seeing a lot of playing time early in his rookie year before his injury.