2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

For first 4 rounds I'd be ok with any combo of.

LB/DL

CB/RB

DL/OL

one of the above that hasn't been addressed yet. 

Smith still has appeal to me as far as LB goes because of his speed and sure tackling he may even be a better ogletree.  outside of Smith I'd prefer to go Dline to help mack and 4 man pressures.

17 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I love Hurst, I will say I disagree and we will wish we had him playing 3T for us applying pressure from the inside like we desperately need. 

I wouldn't mind Hurst in a rotation. He can penetrate gaps and make splash plays. But they are scattered. He's easily handled in most situations and redirected out the play entirely when he doesn't win the first step. He's a good player and prospect. But top 10.... he's gotta have it all and he simply doesn't. 

He reminds me of Collins coming out of Nebraska. I liked him too, he went in the 3rd round. Hurst is more explosive but 1st round is to rich for me. 

33 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

hopefully this is true with the Raiders having 11 picks this year

The assessment of the class is just projections at this point but I do think it's very promising. That is why I have been advocating getting more picks in the top 100 or so. Even without it though I think we are in a good place to get some good pieces. If we can't trade down then trading up with some of our later picks (we have six 6th rd picks) seems like something that is worth at least an attempt for the right value.

6 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

hopefully this is true with the Raiders having 11 picks this year

It's not. This class by many is seen as pretty weak in areas. There is a lot of QB hype as there is every year, but none are standing out in a muddled group. No WR prospect moving the needle in the top 10 and depth there is so so. OT class is pretty weak overall. The best edge rusher (Chubb) doesn't have the athletic prowess of past prospects and the #2 (Davenport) is a project at this stage.

You have a couple top end guys and their position (Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Vea) but not a lot of can't miss types. Good depth at RB and interior Oline, 

From that perspective, this is a wide not deep draft. So having more picks and potential to hit is key. Raiders will have a chance to land a good player at 10, but will have to be on point the rest of the way. Real test of the FO to hit in rounds 3-7 this year IMO.

Digging into Hercules Mata'afa (watch the Utah game). I love this guy! Violent with an explosive first step. Just a dog out there grinding every down. Looked at as a tweener by scouts. He played inside at Wazzu, but has similar size to Mack. 

Interested to see how he performs at the combine. He's not getting a lot of attention, but he might be in conversation with the top pass rushers in this class. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It's not. This class by many is seen as pretty weak in areas. There is a lot of QB hype as there is every year, but none are standing out in a muddled group. No WR prospect moving the needle in the top 10 and depth there is so so. OT class is pretty weak overall. The best edge rusher (Chubb) doesn't have the athletic prowess of past prospects and the #2 (Davenport) is a project at this stage.

You have a couple top end guys and their position (Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Vea) but not a lot of can't miss types. Good depth at RB and interior Oline, 

From that perspective, this is a wide not deep draft. So having more picks and potential to hit is key. Raiders will have a chance to land a good player at 10, but will have to be on point the rest of the way. Real test of the FO to hit in rounds 3-7 this year IMO.

I think this class will prove out that at CB, RB, OG, DT, LB and WR the class is more talented than meets the eye initially and very deep. The OT and QB classes have alot to prove but they can also turnout to be very deep. Time will tell but the excitement in the class overall is definitely warranted if you are looking.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Digging into Hercules Mata'afa (watch the Utah game). I love this guy! Violent with an explosive first step. Just a dog out there grinding every down. Looked at as a tweener by scouts. He played inside at Wazzu, but has similar size to Mack. 

Interested to see how he performs at the combine. He's not getting a lot of attention, but he might be in conversation with the top pass rushers in this class. 

Yup, I mentioned him weeks ago. He can lineup all over the place and the key will be a DC that can use him in creative ways to get pressure on the QB.

What a weird player he is. At WSU, he was purely a gap shooting interior lineman; every play is a roll of the dice. He has a flashy play style, but I don't think he has every down upside and I doubt he could make a living as a base end on early downs. He currently has no hand technique and there isn't any evidence he can bend the edge. He reminds me of Shane Ray except on the inside. I wouldn't draft him before the 5th round.

If everything breaks right for him -- meaning development, coaching, etc. -- I think he has an outside shot to become something like Olivier Vernon. But I still think that comp is a long shot.

Fred Warner is another guy not getting much notice. He's going to be another guy we see rise on draft boards. Speed, instincts at the LB position. @NCOUGHMAN you mentioned him I think and you're a BYU guy. What do you like?

I like his size and versatility. Imo he is more olb than ILB but he can lock up a te. wouldn't trust him on slot wrs and I saw penny burn him down the sideline in the senior bowl tho. He's a good quality 4-5th guy who would hopefully be there in the 6th round. Has issues with tackling angles and over pursues some but is a good tackler. Int machine.

26 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I like his size and versatility. Imo he is more olb than ILB but he can lock up a te. wouldn't trust him on slot wrs and I saw penny burn him down the sideline in the senior bowl tho. He's a good quality 4-5th guy who would hopefully be there in the 6th round. Has issues with tackling angles and over pursues some but is a good tackler. Int machine.

I think he'll have to run 4.5 to go in the earlier than the 5th. I can't imagine he'd be a starter on any team to start the season.

31 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

He had good coverage on Penny, it was just a good throw. 6th round highly unlikely... he will push 3rd round after the combine where he will test well. 

Archived