2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Did you mean Taven Bryan? Interesting. He seems to be mocked all over the place. Don't know much about him. What do you like? Where would you see him lined up for us?

He needs a year. I wouldn't take him top 10, but a trade back he'd be a target. Ton of athletic ability. Can play inside or out most scouts are projecting. 

He's from my home state, been keeping an eye on him since he played there. He has all the tools, just needs to put them together. He's quick off the ball, but I don't like the JJ Watt comparisons. He's not as sound technically and doesn't have the same instincts. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Love James. Scary part is, he's just scratching the surface of what he can be. Be tough to pass on him, but Raiders have invest 2 early picks on the S position recently. Though neither is the playmaker James is. 

Cinci was known for stocking up on dbs with amerson and most likely smith gone plus obi and Conley injuries. Karl can't guard te's. A new toy for the dc to be creative with would be ideal imo

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You can find these type plays on any LB. Fact is, he was dominate all season long including the national champ game. His impact was felt every game. He was never neutralized consistently.

He also has room to grow physically. He uses his athletic ability to beat blockers rather than engage them currently. But he will be coached and put on a little size at the next level as well. The exact same stuff was said about Ryan Shazier, Levonte David and Dieon Jones and all 2 are thriving and I'd argue that Smith has better instincts and football IQ than them coming out. 

This is vacuous response. There is a difference between a persistent issue and an anomaly. It's clear based on the evidence I showed that Roquan Smith doesn't deal with blockers how he should. How Smith impacts a college game doesn't necessarily correlate how he'll impact an NFL game. I look for traits in prospects more than splash plays. Smith has very good run and chase ability and good vision -- which is why I still consider him a first round pick. But his lack of physicality with blockers limits which teams he can have immediate success with unless he changes the way he engages blockers.

Lastly, to you address your last point, there is a difference between being undersized and playing undersized. The players you pointed out -- maybe minus Shazier -- all engaged blockers better than Smith as prospects and they all do it as pros. And not all "undersized" linebackers are created equal. Deion Jones is not Ryan Shazier is not Lovante David is not Telvin Smith is not etc.

54 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Cinci was known for stocking up on dbs with amerson and most likely smith gone plus obi and Conley injuries. Karl can't guard te's. A new toy for the dc to be creative with would be ideal imo

Guenther in 2016 commenting on drafting defense:

“We're always going to draft rushers & cover guys. That's what we're going to do. The LBs & safeties we'll find somewhere. We'll make them fit. If there's a big time LB early in the draft and he's sitting on our board, then we'll discuss it."

34 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

This is vacuous response. There is a difference between a persistent issue and an anomaly. It's clear based on the evidence I showed that Roquan Smith doesn't deal with blockers how he should. How Smith impacts a college game doesn't necessarily correlate how he'll impact an NFL game. I look for traits in prospects more than splash plays. Smith has very good run and chase ability and good vision -- which is why I still consider him a first round pick. But his lack of physicality with blockers limits which teams he can have immediate success with unless he changes the way he engages blockers.

Lastly, to you address your last point, there is a difference between being undersized and playing undersized. The players you pointed out -- maybe minus Shazier -- all engaged blockers better than Smith as prospects and they all do it as pros. And not all "undersized" linebackers are created equal. Deion Jones is not Ryan Shazier is not Lovante David is not Telvin Smith is not etc.

I'm not looking at splash plays. Smith does not disappear in games. He's consistently around the ball, involved as a blitzer and impacts the game. For me it's simple.... His game translates because of his high level instincts and AA. That is what I'm looking for. He doesn't beat blockers how you think he should.... but that won't hinder his game. His game is quickness and anticipation. 

Let just look at his fit with Oakland. He'd start at WLB where they have immediate need. He'd cover RBs, blitz and be given space to play his game. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

He doesn't beat blockers how you think he should.... but that won't hinder his game. His game is quickness and anticipation. 

Which NFL linebacker effectively beats blocks by moving backwards? Are you saying Smith has no weaknesses?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Guenther in 2016 commenting on drafting defense:

“We're always going to draft rushers & cover guys. That's what we're going to do. The LBs & safeties we'll find somewhere. We'll make them fit. If there's a big time LB early in the draft and he's sitting on our board, then we'll discuss it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/justblogbaby.com/2018/01/21/oakland-raiders-news-paul-guenther-decide-raiders-take-first-round/amp/

If that’s the case, then we can expect him to go with a defensive back or a defensive linemen over a linebacker, as he loves to coach up linebackers that are unheralded coming out of college. Could that mean the Raiders pass on Georgia Bulldogs inside linebacker Roquan Smith in favor of Alabama Crimson Tide defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick or Florida State Seminoles safety Derwin James? 

33 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/justblogbaby.com/2018/01/21/oakland-raiders-news-paul-guenther-decide-raiders-take-first-round/amp/

If that’s the case, then we can expect him to go with a defensive back or a defensive linemen over a linebacker, as he loves to coach up linebackers that are unheralded coming out of college. Could that mean the Raiders pass on Georgia Bulldogs inside linebacker Roquan Smith in favor of Alabama Crimson Tide defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick or Florida State Seminoles safety Derwin James? 

Not sure where this idea he likes coaching up unheralded LBs came from. As mentioned in a previous thread, Cincy drafted a lot of LBs early. 

IMO... Given his preference, Ward is in play at 10. He likes man CBs and Ward is a stud. Pass rushers at 10, Davenport might be too rich there.

Davenport has crazy potential but is a little too raw/untested to be drafted top ten. 

Not sure if Ward will be there, but I would be ecstatic if we wound up with him.

Even with us drafting safeties early the last two years, I would be happy with Derwin James. We could even have him throw on ten lbs and play will. That guy is a baller and apparently a great guy in the locker room.

I would honestly love it if we cleared some cap room and brought in some younger defensive talent and free agency in order to draft Guice. I know it’s not totally realistic that we do both of those things but I think Guice could be a real game changer. He could be what we wanted Murray and Lynch to be.

The more I think about it, I could see us moving on from Jelly and drafting either Payne or Vea. Not saying I that’s what I want,  but could see it. Both are better run stuffers and pass rushers than Ellis.

Oh yeah, I didn’t even mention Roquan Smith. We have tons of options at 9/10. I’m excited. I know I kind of rambled there, but my mind has been racing about draft and free agency for about a month now.

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

It’s kind of late in the game for a player to change his entire style.

Player can always fine-tune his style but to change it entirely, that’s hard.

Plus drafting a player in hopes he changes is a recipe for disaster.

13 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Which NFL linebacker effectively beats blocks by moving backwards? Are you saying Smith has no weaknesses?

He beats blocks by anticipating them and winning the angles. Yes, he has weaknesses. When he gets locked on, he has trouble shedding the block. But he's rarely locked on because of his ability in space and to anticipate plays, etc.

His issue is in the trash inside. He can get engulfed at times inside. But again, I'm drafting him as at WLB to keep him in space where he can thrive.

16 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

If Minkah falls to us i think we are taking him 100%

My current top 10 mock...

1. CLE- Saquon Barkley, RB

2. NYG- Orlando Brown, OT

3. IND- Bradley Chubb, DE

4. CLE- Sam Darnold, QB

5. DEN- Quenton Nelson, OG

6. NYJ- Josh Rosen, QB

7. TB- Derrius Guice, RB

8. CHI- Josh Jackson, CB

9. SF- Courtland Sutton, WR

10. OAK- Minkah FitzpatrickDerwin JamesRoquan Smith, Maurice HurstVita VeaDenzel Ward

There will be some good talent when we pick I lean towards interior pressure.

Archived