2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

Just now, raiderrocker18 said:

instead lets entertain fantasy scenarios where a guy given 5/60 to be an all-pro guard is moved over to a position he has started a total of 4 gmes to make room for a rookie, instead of drafting other players who can fill actual positions of need, unlike guard

Like I said keep doubling down. We are just having discussions. If you wanna put something on it because it's that important to you than by all means, have at it.

If posters were forbidden from discussion things that could but haven't happened on this forum then it would be pretty dead around here.

i'm not forbidding anybody from discussing anything, no need to be dramatic.

if somebody here talked about drafting a qb in the first round, i think you'd say "thats not going to happen." and then if said poster made the claim again, and you repeated your statement, you'd be doubling down too.

3 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

if somebody here talked about drafting a qb in the first round, i think you'd say "thats not going to happen." and then if said poster made the claim again, and you repeated your statement, you'd be doubling down too.

Very different when it's a singular position like QB and the oline, where players do switch positions and have excelled in moves in the past. An oline that has open questions at T with no immediate solutions and one olinemen in the draft worth a top ten pick and by all accounts looks to be a future stud and mauler in line with our current team philosophy.

And like I said, we were discussing "what if" scenarios in the draft thread. You made your point and opinion known. We got it. You don't find it prudent or plausible. Others disagree in certain circumstances.

30 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

Bottom line, we're a 6-10 team. We should be drafting BPA, and discussing that KO has played LT and that it might be better to shift him there in lieu of pursuing a high priced option or reaching in a draft where there are no legitimately dominant LT prospects is vastly different than saying we're not going to draft a QB in the 1st round after paying Carr 25M/yr. 

If this sounds familiar, it's only because we definitely arent moving Gabe Jackson from LG, he's been so great there!

Just now, Gaetano said:

Bottom line, we're a 6-10 team. We should be drafting BPA, and discussing that KO has played LT and that it might be better to shift him there in lieu of pursuing a high priced option or reaching in a draft where there are no legitimately dominant LT prospects is vastly different than saying we're not going to draft a QB in the 1st round after paying Carr 25M/yr. 

If this sounds familiar, it's only because we definitely arent moving Gabe Jackson from LG, he's been so great there!

i see you. but moving from guard to guard is not as big a leap as guard to tackle

2 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

i see you. but moving from guard to guard is not as big a leap as guard to tackle

Definitely not. And moving KO definitely isn't likely. But it could be a sound strategy if we believe that Nelson is this lockdown LG.. if KO drops from elite LG to above average LT, and Nelson fills his shoes adequately, then I think that's a win.

But that's oversimplifying - I think Nelson would provide a better run blocking game than KO does, and I think both are better than Penn at that. The big question would be whether or not KO could handle speed rushers, and that's pretty legitimate. 

Also I tend to believe Nelson being there at 9/10 is tough, and if he is, he'd have to be there w/o Derwin, Minkah, Chubb, and possibly Joshua Jackson. But I'd definitely prefer him over more high risk picks like Edmunds/Davenport/McGlinchey.

7 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

He’s going to put up an impressive 3-cone. The thing is, there haven’t been very many undersized edge players like him to thrive in the NFL on a down to down basis. If we consider the Von Miller prototype — guys who vagely comp to him like Irvin and Beasley — they haven’t evolved into top tier pass rushers despite their sometimes elite atheticism.

You said undersized I could be wrong but I thought Landry and Mack are the same size or close

16 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

NFL.com has them both at 6’3 250. No obviously Mack has generational strength for his size in his favor. 

Understandable but one thing I give Landry over Mack is his pass rush technique was better then Mack coming out of college,Mack was kinda raw he had a bigger upside and it work out for us,and by me saying that no way I'm saying Landry is Mack or on his level 

1 hour ago, BABYLON 5 said:

You said undersized I could be wrong but I thought Landry and Mack are the same size or close

I should have been more specific. I meant undersized guys who win with quickness as opposed to strength. I consider Mack the headliner of a group of guys like Dee Ford and Carl Lawson.

That said, I do think Landry plays with good leverage when he's on the field. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the best pass rusher from this class.

Landry gets off the ball fast which was beasleys strength coming out and its translated well in the NFL. I may be willing to grab him with a slight trade back in first round. 

James is a unique talent as well though. tough decisions this year but .. combine will shoot some up and drop others.

Landry could be a nice addition IMO if we go that route. He could be a really nice speed combo to Mack. 

He could be a trade back option, however I think we go OT or CB if we trade back...

Archived