Antonio Gates vs Jason Witten

notthatbluestuff

Better in their primes?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Better in their primes?

• Gates
    • Witten

4 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

From 04 to 07.. Gates was the only main WR they had. Put up phenomenal stats. 

Jesus Christ what a freak you are Matt’s. Heck even in 04.. 

annoying af. 

Still led the team in catches in 08. 

This is a dumb argument, but I will play along. Witten led the Cowboys in catches in:

04, almost 05, 07, 08, 09, '10, 11, '12, 15, almost '16, almost '17

^^^Those almost years, he was 6 receptions off from #1 in catches. ^^

I love destroying you literally every time you try to debate me rammy.

32 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Bro whatever even Calvert agreed. It’s gates what are you arguing here? Gates is the superior talent. Witten was solid at everything not special In any real category. 

Gates was the main receiver for an early Rivers. Those are facts. Are you going to tell me in 05 Rivers had elite options at WR? 

I said Gates was the more dangerous threat. But career wise it is very very debatable. Witten is the model for ultra consistency. 

50 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is a dumb argument, but I will play along. Witten led the Cowboys in catches in:

04, almost 05, 07, 08, 09, '10, 11, '12, 15, almost '16, almost '17

^^^Those almost years, he was 6 receptions off from #1 in catches. ^^

I love destroying you literally every time you try to debate me rammy.

That’s fine but you end up agreeing. Gates > 

you’re like a raging homer. I’m surprised you haven’t said Lawrence > Donald. No cap. 

And Romo had Owens. Whose the superior receiver. All I said was that Rivers was throwing to crap for a span of a few years. Romo had weapons. Miles Austin was nice for a while. All I said bro. Not sure why you're acting like a body builder. 

Edited by ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI

19 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

That’s fine but you end up agreeing. Gates > 

I never debated that Gates was the more prolific pass catcher. 

you’re like a raging homer. I’m surprised you haven’t said Lawrence > Donald. No cap. 

lol. I love this. I always come at you with facts, you always retort with "homer". Its beautiful. People who cant win arguments try to divert the argument to the person. 

And Romo had Owens. Whose the superior receiver.

Romo had Owens for like 45 seconds. 

All I said was that Rivers was throwing to crap for a span of a few years. Romo had weapons. Miles Austin was nice for a while. All I said bro. Not sure why you're acting like a body builder. 

Do you even lift brah

39 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I never debated that Gates was the more prolific pass catcher. 

lol. I love this. I always come at you with facts, you always retort with "homer". Its beautiful. People who cant win arguments try to divert the argument to the person. 

Romo had Owens for like 45 seconds. 

Do you even lift brah

Wack. Wack wack. 

21 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Ha, that was my knee-jerk reaction. On looking at the numbers it was closer than I thought (i.e. Witten was a bit better than I thought) but still, peak Gates trumps peak Witten hands down. 

Passing Receiving
Rk Player From To AV G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Antonio Gates 2003 2018 127 236   0 0   0 0 .0 0 0 0 0         955 11841 116 12.4 72
2 Jason Witten 2003 2019 118 255   1 1 100.0 42 0 118.8 42 0 0 0 42.0 42.00 42.00 42.00 1215 12977 72 10.7 69

Per Game

Receiving
Rk Player From To Rec Yds TD
1 Antonio Gates 2003 2018 4.0 50.2 0.5
2 Jason Witten 2003 2019 4.8 50.9 0.3

This was always the case.

Witten would be ~equal or better in yards.

Gates was heads and shoulders a bigger redzone threat.

Witten was in a different stratosphere when it came to blocking.

The internet just hates Cowboys players. You could probably comp Witten to about 15-20 TEs and he would lose. He is basically top 5 in every stat while being one of the best blocking TEs of all the pass catchers. 

Their stats per 16 are the most telling.

Gates has significantly more TD and more yards per target. It's Gates. Witten while top 10 all time at the point of retirement this season, his numbers are in large part just due to bulk stats. It's like Zach Ertz vs Travis Kelce right now.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 10:39 AM, Matts4313 said:

Well, you are wrong. Because Witten did it. 

lmao. SD was considered the most talented team in the NFL for several years. GTHO with this revisionist history crap. 

They were, they were stacked offensively and defensively. Especially that offensive line. It might of been top 5 best ever.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 11:39 AM, Matts4313 said:

Im arguing with your ridiculous notion that "Romo made Witten" while ignoring Gates played his entire career with HOF QBs and Witten has played 0 snaps with a HOF QB. You using "well for 2 out of Gate's 20 year career the WRs sucked" is a pretty terrible argument. 

Gates had a higher peak. Witten had the better career. 

Also, Witten was the best blocking TE in the NFL almost every year that Gronk didnt play.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 11:39 AM, Matts4313 said:

Im arguing with your ridiculous notion that "Romo made Witten" while ignoring Gates played his entire career with HOF QBs and Witten has played 0 snaps with a HOF QB. You using "well for 2 out of Gate's 20 year career the WRs sucked" is a pretty terrible argument. 

Gates had a higher peak. Witten had the better career. 

Also, Witten was the best blocking TE in the NFL almost every year that Gronk didnt play.

Romo and Rivers were about equal with be preferring Romo as m,y Qb