Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Depends if it is for a QB or not.

According to the traditional draft trade value chart, pick 7 is worth 1500.

20 + 52 + 2023 2nd = 850 + 380 + estimated 300 gets you to 1530, so that's about even if it is for a position player.

If it is for a QB, it's gonna be much more than that. To get to 11 from 20 last year, Chicago traded 20 + 164 + 2022 1st + 2022 4th, which equals about 1509 while pick 11 is worth 1250. 

Pitt would probably have to include their 2023 first to move from 20 to 7.

I mean, if you demand the Steelers '23 FRP, then you're not getting 52.

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I’ve never quite understood this. How can you only have 18 first round grades? Surely if you think a guy is the 19th or 24th or 32nd best player on the board, then that makes him a first round grade? Makes no sense to me. 

I'm not sure why this is a hard concept to understand.  You grade players and sort them into tiers.  Tiers don't magically begin or end at a certain number.  Just because they go in the first round doesn't mean they're not first round players.  Most years, you've probably got ~20 players with legitimate first round grades so when you get into that late first round you're probably drafting into your second round graded players.  That's not saying they aren't first round picks, but their grades aren't as high as the next tier before them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Please let Kayvon fall to the Falcons. 

Feel like the Giants would have a hard time passing, but based on people saying he’s “falling” feel like it could be farther than most expect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, if you demand the Steelers '23 FRP, then you're not getting 52.

Yeah of course. It'd be a similar haul to the Giants-Bears trade last year. The different would probably have to be a future 3rd and 4th instead of future 4th and 5th. So something like 7 for 20, 138, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd. Maybe slightly less than that, but it is close.

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I quite like the way the Packers do it (or at least used to when Ted Thompson was the GM). They’ve got a grading system to rank the players, but they don’t assign a round as such. They’ll just take the best player available at their pick. For example, a player with a grade of (say) 87, might be enough to be the 15th overall pick in a weaker year, whereas he might go in the second round in a stronger year, so it’s pretty dumb to just assign a round grade to a player and then you end up making ridiculous statements like the Chiefs GM has here. 

As far as I'm aware, the Packers have always graded players out in tiers.  Now maybe they did assign numerical grades, and those numerical grades assigned them to particular tiers.

5 hours ago, eh3034 said:

It seems that pretty much everyone is on the same page now that Linderbaum is not going in the first.  Karlaftis surprises me I guess.  I mean, no matter how much KC seems to like Mafe, they wouldn't really pass on Karlaftis for him right?

Karlaftis isn't falling into the second round.  Feel pretty confident on that one.  Think Green Bay is his floor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Karlaftis isn't falling into the second round.  Feel pretty confident on that one.  Think Green Bay is his floor.

Typical rule of thumb is that EDGE guys who meet a certain size, athletic, and production threshold and don't have injury/character red flags bogging them down, they're not getting out of the 1st round anymore.  Same pretty much goes for other premium positions (CB, OT, and to a slight degree WR).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because I don't think he's going to get past Detroit at 2.  Quite frankly, the only way I think he's on the board at 4 is if Hutch is available at 2.

Not sure if you believe/saw the reports coming out today, but it sure doesn’t feel like Hutch at 1 is happening.

(I know, I know, draft week stuff can be all over the place)

12 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah of course. It'd be a similar haul to the Giants-Bears trade last year. The different would probably have to be a future 3rd and 4th instead of future 4th and 5th. So something like 7 for 20, 138, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd. Maybe slightly less than that, but it is close.

I still don't think that you're getting the haul that the Giants got last year plus more.  You put Justin Fields in this year's class, he's the consensus #1 QB prospect and probably a top 3 pick.  I'm not even sure we have a consensus #1 QB in this year's class.  I think it's that #20, #52, and '22 SRP if they make a significant move up the board.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Not sure if you believe/saw the reports coming out today, but it sure doesn’t feel like Hutch at 1 is happening.

(I know, I know, draft week stuff can be all over the place)

Catching up on today's rumors.  Honestly, not sure I'm really paying attention to the rumors.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Catching up on today's rumors.  Honestly, not sure I'm really paying attention to the rumors.

Pretty much every single insider (King, Schrager, Schefter, Jeremiah, Brugler, etc.) seem to think Hutch isn’t in the cards. If he ends up being the pick after everything that’s come out the past few days I’m never believing anything in April ever again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I still don't think that you're getting the haul that the Giants got last year plus more.  You put Justin Fields in this year's class, he's the consensus #1 QB prospect and probably a top 3 pick.  I'm not even sure we have a consensus #1 QB in this year's class.  I think it's that #20, #52, and '22 SRP if they make a significant move up the board.

It'd only be more because you'd be moving up more spots- 7 vs 11. 

20, 52, and a 2023 2nd would be the price to move up from 20 to 7 based on the trade value chart; they are pretty much identical in terms of value. There is always a premium on moving up for a QB, and the Giants GM has made it clear he is looking for 2023 1sts in compensation if the Giants were to move down to potentially secure a QB next year. It makes a lot of sense that, if the Steelers were to move up from 20 to 7 this year for a QB specifically, it would involve their 2023 1st.

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because I don't think he's going to get past Detroit at 2.  Quite frankly, the only way I think he's on the board at 4 is if Hutch is available at 2.

Haven’t they said that Dan Campbell really doesn’t mesh well with KT? Sounds like they’ll take Walker unless Hutchinson is available at 2