The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

13 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

No way they let a championship fight happen as a co-main for a Conor fight being the true main event. Looks like DP vs Conor is January.

Holm vs Tate for the BW title was the co-main when he fought Nate Diaz the first time at UFC 196.

12 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Agreed. Edwards is a pretty good kickboxer. But Wonderboy is the best pure striker at 170. I'd give him the slight edge too. He thinks he can wait out a title shot and doesn't want to risk it. 

Edwards gains nothing from beating Wonderboy but takes a significant step back with a loss. He should fight Gilbert Burns next for the #1 contender spot. 

16 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Agreed. Edwards is a pretty good kickboxer. But Wonderboy is the best pure striker at 170. I'd give him the slight edge too. He thinks he can wait out a title shot and doesn't want to risk it. 

After watching Ferguson's stock fall off a cliff bc of the Gaethje loss, I feel like Leon doesnt want that

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Edwards gains nothing from beating Wonderboy but takes a significant step back with a loss. He should fight Gilbert Burns next for the #1 contender spot. 

No chance Gilbert takes that fight though even if it makes sense. Leon was the most deserving before the pandemic but Burns was active and passed him

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Edwards and Burns probably won't fight. I say Burns deserves it for being more active but Edwards did get screwed over by travel restrictions.

6 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

It's more likely to happen than his fight with Floyd. Way more likely. They both are under paradigm sports.

I highly doubt that Conor boxes Manny, I think it was more of a political stunt to try and force the UFC's hand to schedule a fight for him. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I highly doubt that Conor boxes Manny, I think it was more of a political stunt to try and force the UFC's hand to schedule a fight for him. 

Everyone said that about boxing Floyd too. I think Manny is an easier fight to make than Floyd. Way less picky and less of a personality than Floyd

6 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Everyone said that about boxing Floyd too. I think Manny is an easier fight to make than Floyd. Way less picky and less of a personality than Floyd

That fight happened under much different circumstances though. Conor was arguably the most popular athlete in the world at the time and peaking as a fighter after coming off of that 2nd world title. Plus Conor and Floyd had been going back and forth for a while and they're the two biggest draws we've seen in combat sports in the last 2-3 decades. Not to mention Conor was starching guys at the time so people wanted to see if it'd translate to boxing and if he could actually KO Floyd. 

We've already seen Conor get whooped by Floyd and that his power/striking didn't translate that well into the boxing ring so I don't think people would be nearly as interested. It'd still be a huge fight no doubt but the unknown of Conor as a boxer isn't there anymore and the banter/promotion leading up to the bout wouldn't even come close to what we saw with the Floyd fight. 

I also think it was more of a political stunt than anything because he announced that he'd be boxing Manny this winter, then leaked the Dana DM's, and then announced he would fight Poirier in a charity event in December. He also said that he'd only fight Dustin if it could happen this year and then quickly changed his tune and said he's willing to fight him in January. He could've pushed hard for the Diaz trilogy but I think he went with the Poirier fight because it gives him a clear path to a title shot with a win as it's almost guaranteed that he'd fight the winner of Khabib/Gathje next if he beats Dustin.