The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like people that freeze come fight time and fight with poor fight iq aren't that good...because they tend to lose alot because of those things

Poor fight IQ, one dimensional fighting style, and zero grappling have been his down fall. 

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like people that freeze come fight time and fight with poor fight iq aren't that good...because they tend to lose alot because of those things

true, but the physical tools are there. you here it all the time from ufc guys, some of the best guys in the gym look like completley different people in the cage. if johnson has everything working, hes an elite fighter (or more appropiately, was.... hes on the downslide) that can be just about anyone.

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

true, but the physical tools are there. you here it all the time from ufc guys, some of the best guys in the gym look like completley different people in the cage. if johnson has everything working, hes an elite fighter (or more appropiately, was.... hes on the downslide) that can be just about anyone.

Johnson was never at any point an elite fighter. He has always been super up and down where he'd string together a couple of wins and then have bad losses, string together a couple of wins followed by bad losses, etc. He's an explosive athlete with decent hands but he was just average everywhere else and his grappling sucks. Since the Poirier win he's 2-6 and has been finished 5 times with his only two wins coming against Andre Fili and Artem Lobov by decision. 

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Johnson was never at any point an elite fighter. He has always been super up and down where he'd string together a couple of wins and then have bad losses, string together a couple of wins followed by bad losses, etc. He's an explosive athlete with decent hands but he was just average everywhere else and his grappling sucks. Since the Poirier win he's 2-6 and has been finished 5 times with his only two wins coming against Andre Fili and Artem Lobov by decision. 

my point kinda flew over your head, hd being up and down amd not string wins together is moot. i saod when everything goes right, meaning on a singular night.

also, johnson was a very good college wrestler. thats fairly well known.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

my point kinda flew over your head, hd being up and down amd not string wins together is moot. i saod when everything goes right, meaning on a singular night.

also, johnson was a very good college wrestler. thats fairly well known.

He's had some exciting fights when guys were just willing to engage in wars and trade back and forth. I wouldn't really say that's an elite fighter. He's a good athlete with explosive striking but he only had 4 finishes in 23 UFC fights and the only high level, highly ranked guy that he has ever finished is Poirier. 

Wrestling at the JC level doesn't make you a very good college wrestler though and it didn't translate to MMA so it's a mute point anyways. He had good defensive wrestling for sure but his takedown numbers are lower than Conor's and he has been submitted 9 times in his career. 

On 10/17/2020 at 1:49 PM, beekay414 said:

lol Weidman is open to fighting Chimaev in January. Chris, you don't want this. 

That's a solid fight to make from the UFC's perspective. Despite Weidman's struggles he's still ranked 10th in the MW division and a big win over Chimaev would put him in the mix again plus get people talking about him. While a win for Chimaev would justify moving him into the top 10-15 and cement him as a legitimate threat at 185. 

5 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Ortega isn’t taking that fight. He’s getting the next shot. Gotta be Zabit or Max

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Didn't Kattar just fight Zabit

Yeah, Zabit actually just beat him last November. Yair Rodriguez would make sense as well if he's recovered from the ankle injury. Not sure that it makes sense for Holloway and I'd assume he looks to move up to 155 sooner rather than later. 

Does Ortega get the next title shot with only 1 win in the last 2 years? 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, Zabit actually just beat him last November. Yair Rodriguez would make sense as well if he's recovered from the ankle injury. Not sure that it makes sense for Holloway and I'd assume he looks to move up to 155 sooner rather than later. 

Does Ortega get the next title shot with only 1 win in the last 2 years? 

Unless Zabit gets a fight and looks good really soon, who else gets the shot?

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)