The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Unless Zabit gets a fight and looks good really soon, who else gets the shot?

They should do Zabit vs Ortega for the #1 contender spot. But realistically you're right, Ortega probably gets the next shot unless Cejudo comes out of retirement to fight Volk which is something both he and his coaches have hinted at. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They should do Zabit vs Ortega for the #1 contender spot. But realistically you're right, Ortega probably gets the next shot unless Cejudo comes out of retirement to fight Volk which is something both he and his coaches have hinted at. 

I agree Ortega getting 1 win in 2 years is a big deal but you cant just keep Volk on the shelf either. However, if they do Volk vs CCC, Ortega vs Zabit makes all the sense in the world

Ortega didnt just win though, he dominated KZ and on the feet too. I feel like that should be taken into consideration. Ortega's resume is definitely better than Zabit's too. Zabit has Kattar while Ortega has KZ, Edgar, Swanson and Renato all of which are better than Zabit's #2

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree Ortega getting 1 win in 2 years is a big deal but you cant just keep Volk on the shelf either. However, if they do Volk vs CCC, Ortega vs Zabit makes all the sense in the world

Ortega didnt just win though, he dominated KZ and on the feet too. I feel like that should be taken into consideration. Ortega's resume is definitely better than Zabit's too. Zabit has Kattar while Ortega has KZ, Edgar, Swanson and Renato all of which are better than Zabit's #2

I agree. If they're going to schedule a fight for Volk soon it has to be either Ortega or Cejudo. If they're going to do Cejudo it would make a ton of sense to have Ortega vs Zabit as the co-main so Ortega could step in if someone gets hurt. 

Ortega definitely has a better resume, is ranked higher, more popular, and has already fought for the title before so giving him a title shot makes sense. Especially after how dominant he was against KZ. 

The Cejudo fight makes sense as well but I think it'd be another GSP situation where he comes out of retirement with zero plans to defend the belt. So he'd probably vacate the title shortly after winning it and put the division in a bad spot. 

6 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Doesn't want to embrace the grind in cutting weight?  Odd for someone who used to make 145

Who knows. My theory is that he wants to avoid a weight cut because if he wins while taking minimum damage he'd be able to fight Khabib almost immediately. The fight is supposed to happen in January so he'd be able to fight Khabib in March/April before he takes his yearly break for ramadan. 

Getting used to fighting at 170 also puts him in position for a potential super fight against Masvidal in the future. 

Edited by NYRaider

37 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Doesn't want to embrace the grind in cutting weight?  Odd for someone who used to make 145

cutting weight sucks, and for someone who likely is worth north of 150 mil, why do it?i  it seems like he honestly feels cutting weight isnt safe (which doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out) so he pushes to not do it when he can.

@FinneasGage @JonStark @JaguarCrazy2832 @NYRaider @11sanchez11 @Buckrock101 @big poppa pump @Big Snack @BullsandBroncos and anyone else that wants in...I'm going to start running a pick'em again. You guys know how it works. I'll list either the main card fights or what I deem the 5 best fights on an upcoming card and you'll put your confidence points on them. You lose/win what you wager. So if you put 5 on Khabib and Gaethje wins, you lose 5 points. Let's get it

UFC 254 Pick'em
Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje
Robert Whittaker vs Jared Cannonier
Alexander Volkov vs Walt Harris
Magomed Ankalaev vs Ion Cutelaba
Stefan Struve vs Tai Tuivasa

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

cutting weight sucks, and for someone who likely is worth north of 150 mil, why do it?i  it seems like he honestly feels cutting weight isnt safe (which doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out) so he pushes to not do it when he can.

155 isn't as drastic for him as it is others. Look at Poirier and Khabib. Chiesa when he made 155. You're not wrong though. This is just an outside opinion on it. Power to him I guess but if they fight at 170 and he gets a title shot, it shows to the rest of the division that making weight doesn't matter.

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

UFC 254 Pick'em
Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje - 5 points 
Robert Whittaker vs Jared Cannonier - 4 points
Alexander Volkov vs Walt Harris - 2 points 
Magomed Ankalaev vs Ion Cutelaba - 3 points 
Stefan Struve vs Tai Tuivasa - 1 point

22 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

155 isn't as drastic for him as it is others. Look at Poirier and Khabib. Chiesa when he made 155. You're not wrong though. This is just an outside opinion on it. Power to him I guess but if they fight at 170 and he gets a title shot, it shows to the rest of the division that making weight doesn't matter.

It isn't but again, I think not having to cut weight in January puts him in position for a quick turn around in March/April for the Khabib rematch. Who else would they give the title shot too? Ferguson is coming off of a loss and in the last 3 years his only two wins are against Donald Cerrone/Anthony Pettis. Hooker is coming off of a loss and his most impressive UFC win is a split decision over Paul Felder. 

It shows the division that if you want a title shot you need to beat the #1 contender. Hooker had a chance to get into contention but lost to Poirier. Ferguson has had multiple chances but refused to fight Poirier for the interim title, lost to Gathje, and then couldn't come to terms for the Poirier bout at UFC 254. How did Poirier get the Khabib fight? By smashing Holloway for the interim belt. How did Gathje get the Khabib fight? By smashing Ferguson for the interim belt. 

Poirier is 5-1 in his last 6 with wins over Gathje, Alvarez, Hooker, Holloway, and Pettis. If Conor beats him in impressive fashion he deserves a title shot and there's no way you can give it to someone like Tony or Hooker over him when they're both coming off of losses. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)