The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

On the mat: Dustin >>> Conor

Before someone takes that out of context, that's not saying Conor is horrible on the ground. He's probably average, but Dustin is very, very good.

When have we ever seen Conor just get totally outclassed on the mat other than the Khabib fight though? Who also just absolutely embarrassed Dustin on the mat as well. 

25 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'm from Philly lol I like Dustin because he's a good guy who is always entertaining and can win anywhere the fight takes him. 

Dustin is certainly a very high level fighter and has a chance to beat Conor on the feet or on the mat, no question. I'm curious to see how his chin holds up against someone like Conor who has the power to put him out with a single shot. In his last two fights against explosive southpaws with KO power he has been gotten caught and put out in the 1st round. And in his last 5 bouts he has been in a few wars and has been caught with 500 significant strikes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When have we ever seen Conor just get totally outclassed on the mat other than the Khabib fight though? Who also just absolutely embarrassed Dustin on the mat as well. 

Wouldn't say he outclassed him but Chad Mendes isn't a top tier fighter and was able to do some decent damage.

When have we seen Conor do anything offensively on the mat? You can't say Conor is a better pure mixed martial artist over a well rounded guy like Dustin just because he can defend himself on the ground. He has no offensive game down there. 

Maybe I'm just getting caught up on the term 'pure mixed martial artist'. Conor should be favored in this fight but when you look at MMA in its entirety (and not just boxing wise), Dustin has many more ways to beat you in his skillset. He's the better pure mixed martial artist. 

5 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

dustin took gaethjes shots. and he finished him....

Gathje and Conor are much different strikers though. They both put pressure on opponents and come forward but Gathje is much more agressive/wild and is willing to get hit in order to land shots. While Conor has a much more defensive fighting style where he pressures guys but then uses his range and timing to slip shots and land big counters on guys. 

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Wouldn't say he outclassed him but Chad Mendes isn't a top tier fighter and was able to do some decent damage.

When have we seen Conor do anything offensively on the mat? You can't say Conor is a better pure mixed martial artist over a well rounded guy like Dustin just because he can defend himself on the ground. He has no offensive game down there. 

Maybe I'm just getting caught up on the term 'pure mixed martial artist'. Conor should be favored in this fight but when you look at MMA in its entirety (and not just boxing wise), Dustin has many more ways to beat you in his skillset. He's the better pure mixed martial artist. 

Mendes was 17-2 leading up to that fight with his only two losses having come against Jose Aldo. Conor also took that fight on short notice and Mendes was an explosive athlete and great wrestler plus I think him being smaller also played into his advantage as he was able to explode underneath Conor with great leverage for takedowns. And even when they were on the mat Conor just stayed in guard and looked to avoid big blows, there wasn't much movement from either guy. 

The only time we've ever really seen Conor look for takedowns and look to be aggressive on the mat was against Holloway. And he more than held his own on that mat in that bout. 

And I agree with that assessment, Conor is a better striker but Poirier is a more well rounded mixed martial artist. But as we've seen in MMA it doesn't always matter who's better in a certain area or more well rounded overall it's about what guy can implement a game plan that allows them to take advantage of the best parts of their game. Like I'm sure that Poirier is a better grappler than Conor but does he have the ability to get the fight to the mat early and often to exploit that? Probably not. And is his grappling so much better than Conor's that he would even want to fight that way? Probably not. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mendes was 17-2 leading up to that fight with his only two losses having come against Jose Aldo. Conor also took that fight on short notice and Mendes was an explosive athlete and great wrestler plus I think him being smaller also played into his advantage as he was able to explode underneath Conor with great leverage for takedowns. And even when they were on the mat Conor just stayed in guard and looked to avoid big blows, there wasn't much movement from either guy. 

The only time we've ever really seen Conor look for takedowns and look to be aggressive on the mat was against Holloway. And he more than held his own on that mat in that bout. 

And I agree with that assessment, Conor is a better striker but Poirier is a more well rounded mixed martial artist. But as we've seen in MMA it doesn't always matter who's better in a certain area or more well rounded overall it's about what guy can implement a game plan that allows them to take advantage of the best parts of their game. Like I'm sure that Poirier is a better grappler than Conor but does he have the ability to get the fight to the mat early and often to exploit that? Probably not. And is his grappling so much better than Conor's that he would even want to fight that way? Probably not. 

I don't disagree with any of that. Still, it's insane to me to say that a fighter who hasn't shown any semblance of an offensive ground game is a more pure mixed martial artist than a guy like Poirier who does it all. 

Not to mention that aside of that fluke Michael Johnson fight, Poirier has only lost one fight since the last time these two fought and that was Khabib.  

Just now, JonStark said:

I don't disagree with any of that. Still, it's insane to me to say that a fighter who hasn't shown any semblance of an offensive ground game is a more pure mixed martial artist than a guy like Poirier who does it all. 

Not to mention that aside of that fluke Michael Johnson fight, Poirier has only lost one fight since the last time these two fought and that was Khabib.  

Poirier is definitely a more well rounded mixed martial artist than Conor. But Conor is a better striker, has more power, and stylistically the matchup favors him. 

Yeah, he's been on a great run with wins over Pettis, Alvarez, Gathje, Holloway, and Hooker. I'm glad that Conor is going to fight Poirier as opposed to someone like Masvidal or Diaz. Whoever wins this fight, especially with no upcoming Tony bout booked, will actually deserve to fight the winner of Khabib/Gathje. 

It should be a good fight. I think Conor either finishes him in the first 3 rounds or fades late and Poirier submits him in the championship rounds. 

• Like 1

I'm excited to see the Khabib - Gathje fight this weekend. It's hard to pick against Khabib but I think Gathje presents a much different matchup for him then we've seen from other guys in the past. We've seen Khabib wash other high level strikers in guys like Conor, Poirier, and Barboza but all three of those guys are much more calculated strikers. While Gathje on the other hand is much wilder, agressive, and creative with his striking and isn't afraid to throw crazy strikes or to get hit to land shots. We also haven't seen him utilize it in the UFC but he's probably one of, if not the, best wrestlers that Khabib has ever fought as a former college All-American. Iaquinta was able to stuff 9 of Khabib's takedowns and scramble back to his feet pretty effectively when he was taken down, something I think Gathje has a chance to replicate. 

I'd still bet on Khabib to win using his typical formula of wearing guys out with his grappling and then looking to finish later in the fight. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see Gathje clip him with something crazy after a wild scramble and TKO him. 

7 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

People just really dont know how good Poiriers boxing is, i dont get it cause its been on display for years now. Conor should be a slight favorite, maybe -160 but this is far from an easy fight. he has special power, but dustin has held up to everything the last few years. My guess is conor catched him early or dustin just drowns him late.

I certainly dont think its obvious Conor wins. At some point though the punishment he has sustained has to catch up to him though. He took big shots in his last fight too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Michael Johnson is so weird...like he isnt that good but he beat:

Dustin Poirier

Tony Ferguson

Edson Barboza

And he probably should've beaten Gaethje

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Michael Johnson is so weird...like he isnt that good but he beat:

Dustin Poirier

Tony Ferguson

Edson Barboza

And he probably should've beaten Gaethje

i think its the opposite, hes really, really good but just has poor fight iq and maybe freezes come fight time?

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)