The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

Feel like in the Sterling-Yan rematch, Sterling should focus more towards striking over grappling. Seems like he had in his head the whole time he was gonna win it on the ground, but he actually ended up winning the first two rounds by landing more volume on the feet.

The tide of the fight changed honestly when he started selling out for the takedown, and Yan was able to defend it.

Hope next time he goes in with the confidence that he can land more than Yan and win the fight even if it stays standing. with his length and awkward striking style, I think he can do that.

7 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Imagine seeing those odds and betting on Izzy. Jan odds were ridiculous for a man that is fighting in his own weight class. Thank you for the money Jan

Jan winning was an easy pick for anyone that actually watches the sport. Izzy has barely squeaked by in tight decision victories at 185 against guys he doesn't have a huge size advantage over. 

Can you imagine what Jon would've done to him? Sheesh. @beekay414

As far as marketing/promotion goes the UFC has taken some big dings over the past few months with Masvidal, McGregor, and Izzy losing plus Sterling winning the belt by getting TKO'd. 

Edited by NYRaider

4 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Feel like in the Sterling-Yan rematch, Sterling should focus more towards striking over grappling. Seems like he had in his head the whole time he was gonna win it on the ground, but he actually ended up winning the first two rounds by landing more volume on the feet.

The tide of the fight changed honestly when he started selling out for the takedown, and Yan was able to defend it.

Hope next time he goes in with the confidence that he can land more than Yan and win the fight even if it stays standing. with his length and awkward striking style, I think he can do that.

Sterling sucks. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Can you imagine what Jon would've done to him?

Before the fight all of my friends were saying they were going for Izzy to set up the Bones fight. I was the only one who didn't want to see it because of how easily Bones would ragdoll him (as evidenced in rounds 4 and 5) and don't want Bones to get that on his resume. A guy qwho's now fighting at HW vs a guy who couldn't even make it up to 205 is not a great fight. 

If Izzy does it right and takes time off to put on weight correctly (like Bones is doing at HW), it could work, but he just went up to quick. 

Picked Jan, Nunes, Yan, and Islam. $100 bet to collect $700 in winnings. I will always hate Aljamain Sterling. 

You should hate Yan. Whether Sterling's acting was real or not doesn't matter, that was a DQ the second he threw that strike.

The whole corner thing is a cop out too. If you're a fighter, you know you can't knee a downed opponent (which the ref told him he was). If you're a CHAMPION, you sure as hell better know that rule. His corner probably was assuming he knew that and was going to throw the knee to the body. A lot of people have ended fights like that (Rashad vs. Tito comes to mind).

How Aljo reacted to that shot (and for the record, I'm still undecided if it was genuine) or not doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JonStark said:

If Izzy does it right and takes time off to put on weight correctly (like Bones is doing at HW), it could work, but he just went up to quick. 

I don't even think it's about weight though. Izzy is a purple belt in BJJ and the only time we've really seen him grapple was last night, on his back, unable to do anything. Jones is much bigger, stronger, longer, and a better grappler than Jan. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonStark said:

You should hate Yan. Whether Sterling's acting was real or not doesn't matter, that was a DQ the second he threw that strike.

When Alvarez KO'd Poirier with illegal knees the fight was ruled a no-contest. Why did Sterling get the win?

52 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When Alvarez KO'd Poirier with illegal knees the fight was ruled a no-contest. Why did Sterling get the win?

Who knows. The Athletic Commission could overrule it or change it. 

Alvarez Poirier was a NC because Alvarez didn't do it on purpose. 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

I believe it was ruled unintentional. Last nights was ruled intentional because the ref told him he was down, but he kneed him anyway.