The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Nobody has made any excuses lol. Totally unprofessional on his part. My issue is with this idea that he tried to duck Nate. He'd run through that .500 fighter.

.500 or not. Wouldn't surprise me if Nate beat Khabib just as much as it wouldn't surprise me if Dennis Siver came out of retirement and beat Nate 

5 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

.500 or not. Wouldn't surprise me if Nate beat Khabib just as much as it wouldn't surprise me if Dennis Siver came out of retirement and beat Nate 

Outside of the short notice McGregor upset that made him, what elite fighters has Nate ever beat? This Nate myth is laughable to anyone that knows who he really is. Nate would get steamrolled by Khabib. Nate would get steamrolled by Poirier. He's not an elite fighter and never has been.

Cerrone 11 years ago might be his best non-McGregor win FFS.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Outside of the short notice McGregor upset that made him, what elite fighters has Nate ever beat? This Nate myth is laughable to anyone that knows who he really is. Nate would get steamrolled by Khabib. Nate would get steamrolled by Poirier. He's not an elite fighter and never has been.

Cerrone 11 years ago might be his best non-McGregor win FFS.

Again, never said I'd put him as a favorite against anyone elite. I just said if he beat anyone in his weight class it wouldn't surprise me. Also wouldn't surprise me if he lost in the first round of ultimate fighter or DWCS

4 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Again, never said I'd put him as a favorite against anyone elite. I just said if he beat anyone in his weight class it wouldn't surprise me. Also wouldn't surprise me if he lost in the first round of ultimate fighter or DWCS

But that train of thought comes from one short notice upset win. He hasn't been a threat to anyone good since 2011. That's my sole issue with the Nate Diaz lore that takes over casual MMA. He's not a threat to anyone good right now. He's not a power puncher, he's not a great wrestler. So, in order to get in trouble with him, you either need to gas out completely, go into his guard after putting him on the mat yourself (and be a complete idiot when you get down there), or be a **** striker (and nobody good is a **** striker). 

This fight would've looked a lot like Pena-Nunes 2 did.

Nate might get worked tomorrow vs Tony unless Tony's chin is completely cooked.

Edited by beekay414

44 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

But that train of thought comes from one short notice upset win. He hasn't been a threat to anyone good since 2011. That's my sole issue with the Nate Diaz lore that takes over casual MMA. He's not a threat to anyone good right now. He's not a power puncher, he's not a great wrestler. So, in order to get in trouble with him, you either need to gas out completely, go into his guard after putting him on the mat yourself (and be a complete idiot when you get down there), or be a **** striker (and nobody good is a **** striker). 

This fight would've looked a lot like Pena-Nunes 2 did.

Nate might get worked tomorrow vs Tony unless Tony's chin is completely cooked.

Came 1 stupid bragging mistake away from beating the welterweight champion of the world yet got his face caved in by George.

just further proves my point 

7 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

I mean is it that crazy…this fight was a zero upside fight for him.

It’s tough to believe he actually even tried to really make weight coming in 7.5 lbs over and not looking particularly upset or tired from having a difficult cut.

The card was trending to be the highest selling PPV of the year. Fighting a legend in his farewell fight who also happens to be one of the most popular fighters on the roster would've been great for his exposure/brand. Especially considering that he was likely going to just run through Nate. 

9 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Even if he was trying to get that Holland fight you’re not gonna be that over weight. Stop giving him excuses he ****ed up and honestly it’s a horrific look on his part. That’s more poor training and not taking this seriously then anything 

So to add to my theory, Holland was weighing in at 180, why cut the weight to 170 if he wanted the Holland fight after their scuffle?

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So to add to my theory, Holland was weighing in at 180, why cut the weight to 170 if he wanted the Holland fight after their scuffle?

How did the UFC benefit from changing the main event last minute? Chimaev got a harder fight against a bigger opponent and moved out of the main event slot on a card that's trending to be the biggest of the year.

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How did the UFC benefit from changing the main event last minute? Chimaev got a harder fight against a bigger opponent and moved out of the main event slot on a card that's trending to be the biggest of the year.

Well that part for the UFC is separate from what Chimaev wanted. I think its possible he didn't try to cut the last 7 pounds after the scuffle so he'd get that fight

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Well that part for the UFC is separate from what Chimaev wanted. I think its possible he didn't try to cut the last 7 pounds after the scuffle so he'd get that fight

Has this ever happened before? One guy missed weight in the main event and then they shuffled the card around and changed multiple matchups? 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Has this ever happened before? One guy missed weight in the main event and then they shuffled the card around and changed multiple matchups? 

Not to my knowledge no, I mean we've had issues where a fighter misses or gets hurt and it switches around but never 3 fights/6 fighters flipped around where all still fight