The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

25 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Wow, just found out Usman lost. Shocking. Was he winning the fight before getting KO’d completely cold? After getting KO’d in such a vicious manner, not sure I can ever put that guy at #1 again. That was a knockout for the ages, totally stiffed him up like a complete chump. 

Leon won the first round and then got worked up until he landed the head kick

10 hours ago, Squanchy said:

Volk will be pound for pound number 1 now and he deserves it.  I’m still not sure why there’s a dislike for him.

Because he beats all of the fan favorites. His last 6 are Max x3, Ortega, Zombie, and Aldo. 

There's no real reason to hate on him. He's amazing and seems like a genuinely good dude. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont think its a dislike for Volk so much as he beat a fan favorite in Max. Kind of hard for casuals to love him when everyone loves Max

It's also his association with one of the most dislikable people on the UFC roster in Izzy, so he's dislikable by proxy lol.

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Volk needs to finish more and needs to face more tough competition. Max 3 times was overkill, and he should of never fought Zombie who isn’t in his league. 

With that said, I like Volk, and he certainly has a case for #1 P4P. 

Does he need to face tougher competition? he has beaten everyone there and you could make a case that Zombie was just as bad as Jorge once...and Usman fought him twice. 

People making too much of Usman losing IMO. This is his Matt Serra moment, sometimes that kinda stuff happens, that's why there's nothing else like MMA, one mistake means potential career changing moment.

If he comes back and dominates Edwards and then beats Chimaev and runs off a bunch of title defenses like GSP, this will be remembered as not that big an issue. 

IMO Usman still hasn't put it all together that well. He relies too much on his boxing, he mixed it up much better vs Edwards, but he's gotten too cocky with his boxing because it's been so successful. I hope his trainers put together much more mixed game plans because his wrestling and conditioning should keep him out of danger more and he can wear down and break his opponents on the ground.

Edited by Mossburg

2 hours ago, Mossburg said:

People making too much of Usman losing IMO. This is his Matt Serra moment, sometimes that kinda stuff happens, that's why there's nothing else like MMA, one mistake means potential career changing moment.

If he comes back and dominates Edwards and then beats Chimaev and runs off a bunch of title defenses like GSP, this will be remembered as not that big an issue. 

IMO Usman still hasn't put it all together that well. He relies too much on his boxing, he mixed it up much better vs Edwards, but he's gotten too cocky with his boxing because it's been so successful. I hope his trainers put together much more mixed game plans because his wrestling and conditioning should keep him out of danger more and he can wear down and break his opponents on the ground.

Even the Matt Serra fight wasnt deep into a title reign like this one. Also it definitely was unexpected because Edwards isnt a finisher. Overblown for sure, i expect Usman to be the favorite but with that said the round 5 clip of his corner telling him to stop feeling sorry for himself still gives me chills