Fire Pettine

MacReady

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Don't forget. The Niners faithful was trying to run Saleh out of town last year, he almost got dumped. Now he's a God DC getting HC interviews. That's because in one offseason the GM added Bosa, Ford, Kwon and Greenlaw and other players like Buckner, Armstead,  Ward and Warner blew up after average past years. 

In short, the Niners didn't have guys like Lowry, Lancaster, Martinez and Goodson as anchors on their front 7. Those guys wouldn't come close to seeing meaning snaps for the Niners let alone start. Stated another way, if you switched the DCs, we'd be talking about firing Saleh while Pettine would be playing in the SB. Simple facts.

Good thought. Do you think if we switched coaching staffs with SF, SF still wins?

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Good thought. Do you think if we switched coaching staffs with SF, SF still wins?

More than likely. SF is built almost perfectly for Shanahan's offense. Talent is king especially when it is lopsided in key areas like it was in that game. 

I mean I hate giving the guy credit but Sherman was exactly right in his postgame rant. The first matchup was SF coming off a long overtime battle with Seattle and GB coming off a bye. We had every advantage a team could ask for and we still got absolutely destroyed in that game. We all used Bulaga's injury as a cop out and excuse but we were still the healthier team in that game and got ran over. Sunday's game was just a continuation of that except SF was much healthier this time. 

Edited by packfanfb

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

More than likely. SF is built almost perfectly for Shanahan's offense. Talent is king especially when it is lopsided in key areas like it was in that game. 

I mean I hate giving the guy credit but Sherman was exactly right in his postgame rant. The first matchup was SF coming off a long overtime battle with Seattle and GB coming off a bye. We had every advantage a team could ask for and we still got absolutely destroyed in that game. We all used Bulaga's injury as a cop out and excuse but we were still the healthier team in that game and got ran over. Sunday's game was just a continuation of that except SF was much healthier this time. 

Yeah, I agree. SF wins even if we switch coaching staffs. They just have way more player talent. Blaming the loss on Pettine is wrong. The offense was equally to blame. After all it wasn't 27-24 at halftime. It was 27-0. The offense fumbled and bumbled its way around. 

Defensive coordinator do not get better with time.  They get worse.  You can literally prove this by looking at every defensive coordinator.  It takes constant innovation and self-assessment and the more comfortable a coordinator gets in his job the more predictable in their tendencies they become.  We became a get right defense for the entire league when Capers was our coach, showing up only against quarterbacks that had nothing.  

I’m really not trying to be my typical hyperbolic self with this.  I really think this was a mistake.  Adding IDL and ILB could get us to bounce back, but if an injury occurs it will be right back to, “He just needed a healthy so and so.”  

I really hate this move.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I feel like we’re going to get the Niners in the first game of the season and they’re going to do the same damn thing to us to start the season.  

Unless the Chiefs win, then I bet we get some middle of the season premiere type game.

...or probably Thanksgiving for our luck.

Edited by Striker

47 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Yeah, I agree. SF wins even if we switch coaching staffs. They just have way more player talent. Blaming the loss on Pettine is wrong. The offense was equally to blame. After all it wasn't 27-24 at halftime. It was 27-0. The offense fumbled and bumbled its way around. 

Yes Lancaster and Lowry on the front didn't do too much. Martinez is good at tackling after the other team gains a chunk, not too many for losses..,. All three positions need to be upgraded and depth added.

• Like 1

Another offseason of all of our money into defense.  Because hE jUsT neeDs playmakerz.

You let a ****ing chef keep their job if they can’t figure out how to cook a steak without a ****ing spatula?  We’re talking about an ILB.  If you’re a defensive coordinator who needs a top ILB to stop a team from running for 400 ****ing yards against you you might be Mike ****ing Pettine.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Defensive coordinator do not get better with time.  They get worse.  You can literally prove this by looking at every defensive coordinator.  It takes constant innovation and self-assessment and the more comfortable a coordinator gets in his job the more predictable in their tendencies they become.  We became a get right defense for the entire league when Capers was our coach, showing up only against quarterbacks that had nothing.  

I’m really not trying to be my typical hyperbolic self with this.  I really think this was a mistake.  Adding IDL and ILB could get us to bounce back, but if an injury occurs it will be right back to, “He just needed a healthy so and so.”  

I really hate this move.  

I think you’re right - especially on the constant innovation point.  A predictable defense is a busted defense.  Great players will diminish this deficiency only so much.  If Pettine doesn’t go back to school this off-season and learn how to become innovative and unpredictable, I will go with you to 1265 Lombardi and protest.  Seriously, I will.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Solid point:

We are assuming this decision to keep Pettine was MLF. I'm not so sure. He comes out and says he hasn't made up his mind and then later the same day it's announced he's staying. I think he was trumped by the front office. Who in the front office? Gute or Murphy? Can't be sure, but would put my money on Murphy.