The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Thanks you guys, I needed that, whatever that was...

What's the FA OL situation like?  I think Kush and Larsen are both out there and should be cheap.  At this point I'd say we're very likely to draft OL in round 2 (or 3 with a trade down) but it's alarming that there hasn't been moves yet. Unless they're high on Bars, I'm not sure there is a rg on the roster. 

I'd say at least to a degree it's because the till is empty.  OTC says we have about $2.5 mil in cap space and Spotrac says about $1.66 mil.

I thought I'd read that someone signed Kush and Larsen isn't worth any amount of money IMHO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'd say at least to a degree it's because the till is empty.  OTC says we have about $2.5 mil in cap space and Spotrac says about $1.66 mil.

I thought I'd read that someone signed Kush and Larsen isn't worth any amount of money IMHO.

Yeah, until we get some restructures or extensions done I think our hands are pretty well tied on signings of significance. Hopefully we get that started today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah, until we get some restructures or extensions done I think our hands are pretty well tied on signings of significance. Hopefully we get that started today. 

Yup.  All we've been doing is signing back end of the roster guys who push another slightly lower cost guy out of the top 51 which means only the difference between the two salaries impacts the cap.  Sign a guy for $950k and a guy making $675k falls out of the top 51 and only $275k is added to the cap.  Not certain everyone understands how that works.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Kush and Larsen are not good enough. I would not even start them until a rookie is ready.

I think it's gonna be Bars, Coward, and a draftee competing.  Maybe we pick up a vet who gets released after the draft and whatever that May date is where a FA pick up doesn't count against compensatory picks.  No doubt Pace is trying to load up for 2021 so he can move up if he wants to.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Kush was released and is a UFA.

• Like 1

Here's your OG crew.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/25/chicago-bears-sign-former-seattle-seahawks-offensive-lineman-germain-ifedi/

Offensive line has been arguably one of the biggest needs this offseason for the Chicago Bears. While Chicago has been adding free agents left and right, they had yet to address one of the biggest needs on their roster. Until now.

The Bears finally addressed the offensive line in free agency with the addition of offensive lineman Germain Ifedi, who has agreed to terms on a one-year deal, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport,

Former #Seahawks OL Germain Ifedi is signing a 1-year deal with the #Bears, source said. The former first-rounder gets a fresh start and may play guard in Chicago.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 25, 2020

Ifedi, a former first-round pick by the Seahawks, started 60 games over the last four seasons, playing both guard and tackle. The Seahawks chose not to exercise his fifth-year option, which would’ve gave him $10.3 million in 2020, and he’s found a new home in Chicago.

The Bears are mostly stuck with what they’ve got on the offensive line for another season, but there’s still plenty of work to be done. There’s also a right guard spot up for grabs following Kyle Long’s retirement.

While Ifedi has played mostly offensive tackle during his career, it certainly helps that he has experience moving to guard. He figures to get an opportunity to start at right guard for the Bears in 2020.

54 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

There is still quite a bit of capable safety depth out there.

Reshad Jones (32)

Tony Jefferson (28)

Eric Reid (28)

Johnathan Cyprien (30)

I think any of those 4 would come in as our starting SS and perform capably or better. 

I'd love to see Jefferson or Reid in a Bears jersey but at the moment we lack the cap space to sign anyone.

Maybe Pace is negotiating with some people and waiting 'til he he's struck a deal before they push anymore current money back but I have no real idea why he isn't hard on it as far as extending ARob.  I can't believe he'd trade him and draft a rookie to replace him.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the articles on The Athletic noted that after Monday (might have been starting Monday) FA signings don’t count against the comp pick formula. I expect we will see some depth moves at RB, SS and possibly ILB this week. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

One of the articles on The Athletic noted that after Monday (might have been starting Monday) FA signings don’t count against the comp pick formula. I expect we will see some depth moves at RB, SS and possibly ILB this week. 

I know guys that were cut don't count. As far as guys whose contracts were up and haven't been signed I'm not sure. 

I think we almost need to add 1-2 guys at S. 

List of available RB's is puke-worthy.