The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

12 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The money doesn't look too great but how do we know that there weren't other teams bidding for Graham's services? Graham also was signed before Bears traded for Foles so he signed under the assumption Trubisky was gonna be his QB. He may have been acquired for less $ from the Bears knowing that they got Foles now. Oh well. All I know is Bears are way better than they were last year at TE with the Graham and Harris signings.

and both guys are relatively healthy. Did anyone not listen to Pace about the TE spot at the end of the year. They dont like injured guys. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Ebron signed for 2yr/$12 mil. WTF, Pace? :S

I think I can say why Heinz.  Similar stats but Graham has been more available and for us that's a biggie. Ebron had a monster year scoring in 2018 but other than that Graham has been as good or better.

Last three seasons:

Eric Ebron;  Games Played/43  Games Started/19  Yardage/1699 TD/20

Jimmy Graham; Games Played/48  Games Started/45  Yardage/1603 TD/15

22 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Haha isn't it funny thought that ppl are complaining about losing a comp pick at the the very very end of the 4th round for SB MVP winning QB?

Same people that if they won a $300 mil Powerball would complain they had to split it with three other winners.  9_9

21 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

All I know is Bears are way better than they were last year at TE with the Graham and Harris signings.

Bingo.  Unlike some of what we've seen under past GMs who took a far more passive stance Pace has aggressively upgraded the TE position despite already having a half dozen or so TEs already on the roster.  So what's the debate here?  We didn't upgrade well enough?

The word on the street is that we pursued Hooper first but failed to sign him and I'd be willing to bet it wasn't a matter of price.  We have a very unsettled QB situation and I would think any top pass receiver would have some concerns coming into that vs accepting another offer where that situation didn't exist.  Pace also made a top offer to Teddy B but he also went elsewhere.  Is that Pace's fault as well?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

and both guys are relatively healthy. Did anyone not listen to Pace about the TE spot at the end of the year. They dont like injured guys. 

I have been repeatedly told not to listen to what Pace says. He never tells you his plan you have to judge his actions.

Based on his actions he likes bad TEs. Not sure Ebron qualifies for that either.

35 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pretty much everyone now would need to be competing with a legit draft pick. There aren’t any “set it and forget” it OGs left.

The thing I don't know is what they have in plan for Bars.  I know he's competing for a job this year, but IDK if he's competing as a guard or tackle.  If they feel he is a tackle, then we need to grab a guard pretty early, but if he's a guard then we need to look early for a possible replacement for Massie for next year.

51 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pretty much everyone now would need to be competing with a legit draft pick. There aren’t any “set it and forget” it OGs left.

Mike Person released yesterday by SF would probably qualify. Just 2 penalties against and 1 sack allowed last year. Cordy Glenn would be set and forget too. Mike Iupati. None are long term options but all would come in expected to start. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

The thing I don't know is what they have in plan for Bars.  I know he's competing for a job this year, but IDK if he's competing as a guard or tackle.  If they feel he is a tackle, then we need to grab a guard pretty early, but if he's a guard then we need to look early for a possible replacement for Massie for next year.

I think expecting anything more than camp competition at this point for Bars is unrealistic. He had every chance to get on the field last year and couldn’t, and that was under Hiestand who most presume as his college OL was the biggest advocate for him. 

13 hours ago, soulman said:

I think I can say why Heinz.  Similar stats but Graham has been more available and for us that's a biggie. 

Not only that, but somebody posted somewhere (maybe it was even you, I couldn't find it), that Ebron is well known as sort of a head case. We already have one of those in Burton. We certainly don't need another. 

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

Looking at linemen, what are thoughts about Josh Kline?

He's all right. I'd be happy if Pace snagged him. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It wasn't the best FA year for guards in general, really...

27 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Lets hope it's at tackle. He actually flashed there when they put him in. 

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mike Person released yesterday by SF would probably qualify. Just 2 penalties against and 1 sack allowed last year. Cordy Glenn would be set and forget too. Mike Iupati. None are long term options but all would come in expected to start. 

They are starters, but Glenn was awful in Cincy.

Person is an average starting OG, he actually graded out below average if you like PFF. 

I think we are at the point where we need to invest in the draft to get better than average.

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think expecting anything more than camp competition at this point for Bars is unrealistic. He had every chance to get on the field last year and couldn’t, and that was under Hiestand who most presume as his college OL was the biggest advocate for him. 

This is my thought. If he couldn’t play weeks 16 and 17 last year that says something.