How do you value Tannehill?

dtait93

I just really hope they look at 2017 Case Keenum as a caution tale and dont break the bank for him. They need to keep that defense top 5 strong in order to replicate future success and handing out high level $$ to Tannehill based off of 1/2 season could potentially set them back---especially when you also have to pay good money to keep Henry.

• Like 3

He's a tag-worthy guy at best. Or maybe what Sam Bradford used to book at the tail end of his career, short deals worth roughly $20mm with heavy incentives tied to it.

This half season worth of work made us all forget that Tannehill had some injury issues prior to his trade to Tennessee - we don't know what that'll look like with a full season worth of hits. You could be looking at diminishing returns past 10 games as his body starts to break down. 

He makes Tennessee better, but who knows if that's sustainable beyond a season.

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Tanehill's problems really have been with injury, not production. Although, granted, he hasn't a Mahommes type when ON the field. 

I don't see why Tennessee wouldn't pay him, or why they'd be more into Brady. And I love Brady. 

He's a bellow average starter when healthy, who just had an above average season.

Not like the guy was an above average player and was crushed by injuries... that just isn't true.

46 minutes ago, kramxel said:

He's a bellow average starter when healthy, who just had an above average season.

Not like the guy was an above average player and was crushed by injuries... that just isn't true.

I mean he had some pretty good seasons in Miami... Calling him below average when healthy is a joke. 

Edited by ttitansfan4life

4 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I mean he had some pretty good seasons in Miami... Calling him below average when healthy is a joke. 

There's a reason you guys signed him as a backup. 

He's a below average starter coming off a solid season and choked in the playoffs in 2/3 games. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

This half season worth of work made us all forget that Tannehill had some injury issues prior to his trade to Tennessee - we don't know what that'll look like with a full season worth of hits. You could be looking at diminishing returns past 10 games as his body starts to break down. 

Half season? He played 14 games for Tennessee this year! 

Pay the man, he was the spark that ignited their incredible run this year. Finally, defenses had to worry about the Titans throwing the ball which sent Henry into a frenzy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

There's a reason you guys signed him as a backup. 

He's a below average starter coming off a solid season and choked in the playoffs in 2/3 games. 

Lol at choked in the playoffs. God I know you’re a Raven fan and still salty but come the hell on. He wasn’t signed first of all. The Titans traded a 4th round pick for him because they knew Mariota was/is injury prone and couldn’t have another season of lackluster play. Hell there were rumors that the coaching staff even wanted Tannehill to start right out of the gate week 1. He led them to 9-4 record to an AFC Championship game. Below average starters do not do that unless you think this Titans team is so damn talented it can mask a below average QB...

Edited by ttitansfan4life
  • Like 1

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Lol at choked in the playoffs. God I know your a Raven fan and still salty but come the hell on. He wasn’t signed first of all. The Titans traded a 4th round pick for him because they knew Mariota was/is injury prone and couldn’t have another season of lackluster play. Hell there were rumors that the coaching staff wanted Tannehill to start right out of the gate week 1. He led them to 9-4 record to an AFC Championship game. Below average starters do not do that unless you think this Titans team is so damn talented it can mask a below average QB...

How do you rate Fitz magic? 

Just now, kramxel said:

How do you rate Fitz magic? 

Average... I think my definition and your definition of below average are completely different. A below average starter does not go out and win 9 games out of 13 and lead a team to the AFC Championship. I’m fine with if you label him above average. To me he falls into that tier between 12-17 closer to the 12 IMO.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Half season? He played 14 games for Tennessee this year! 

And towards the tail end of those 14 games, the only activity he has was "turn around and hand the ball off to Derrick Henry". 

60 pass attempts over three playoff games? C'mon now, you can't correlate that to surviving an entire football season.

By my count - he had 10 regular season games, one game vs Texans backups (and let's be real, Texans starters are below average on defense, so Texans backups are probably not even XFL worthy) two games where "game manager" would be an incredibly generous label and then a game where he had to actually throw the ball a bit vs KC. Even then, that doesn't overshadow his last three years in Miami where he only played 24 games. 14 games under ANY circumstances doesn't overshadow that sort of injury risk, not in the slightest.

Buy at your own risk, especially when you can tag him and pay him a large sum of money without the long term commitment. Your absolute best bet is to tag Tannehill and draft a high upside QB such as Kellen Mond in mid rounds - let Tannehill play out next season while Mond redshirts. If Tannehill can recreate this magic and play a full 16 games, then look at extending him beyond a year-to-year basis. (You get the added benefit of these two probably knowing one another as former A&M QBs - Tannehill might take to mentoring Mond moreso than a Jacob Eason or a Jake Fromm).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

A below average starter does not go out and win 9 games out of 13 and lead a team to the AFC Championship

Blake Bortles did something similar. 10 out of 16, AFCCG...

(I agree he's not below average - but just pointing this out).

Tag him or sign him to a two or three year deal with almost all of the money guaranteed in Year 1 so that you can walk away in Year 2 and then pay Henry. You try to run it back again in 2020 and see if the magic continues and if it does, great, and if it doesn't, you get your guy in 2021.

• Like 1

He was having a really nice 2016 season before the injury. I think only 4 other QB's had both a higher YPA and % than him. Played pretty well after that when he returned in 2018, but was injured during the season, too. Before 2016 he had 3 seasons of 3,900+ yards (3913, 4045, 4208), and holds the record for most consecutive completions in NFL history (not too much dinking and dunking on those either)

He was probably an above avg starting QB, but not good enough to overcome a bad situation in Miami.

Edited by Tetsujin
  • Like 1