Eli Manning is retiring

August4th

It's gonna be interesting to see what he does next. From what we've heard, he has no interest in coaching (other than his daughters' sports teams). I know he'd be a great broadcaster, but I don't know if he wants to do it. There's a chance he just fades out of the public eye. I'd be selfishly disappointed if that were to happen, but if it does, good for him. He's a family guy, and by all accounts he just wants to spend time with his family and have fun.

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It's gonna be interesting to see what he does next. From what we've heard, he has no interest in coaching (other than his daughters' sports teams). I know he'd be a great broadcaster, but I don't know if he wants to do it. There's a chance he just fades out of the public eye. I'd be selfishly disappointed if that were to happen, but if it does, good for him. He's a family guy, and by all accounts he just wants to spend time with his family and have fun.

There's a 100% chance that he fades out of the public eye.  I thought he faded out of the public eye 5 years ago.  

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You know the old sith "always a master"... Malf needs someone to follow and copy their post. 

Tag you are it. 

I always saw it as SwAg stole @Malfatron's ideas though. Due to SwAg's absence, perhaps it's the case that Malf has disposed of SwAg and now I'm the one that's the apprentice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

His 117-117 career record is the most Eli Manning thing ever.

giphy.gif

Another good time to quote Aaron Rodgers:  "As quarterbacks, we earn a paycheck in the regular season, but WE BUILD OUR LEGACY IN THE POSTSEASON."

People can talk all they want about the 117-117 as long as they don't forget to talk about his being 2-0 when it really mattered.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Another good time to quote Aaron Rodgers:  "As quarterbacks, we earn a paycheck in the regular season, but WE BUILD OUR LEGACY IN THE POSTSEASON."

People can talk all they want about the 117-117 as long as they don't forget to talk about his being 2-0 when it really mattered.

As long as people arbitrarily apply the same ridiculous standard to Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and guys who never won one despite their lack of pieces in other places like Dan Marino, then that's fine.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

As long as people arbitrarily apply the same ridiculous standard to Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and guys who never won one despite their lack of pieces in other places like Dan Marino, then that's fine.

Did Eli ever have a defense like Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson?  I'm sure his Giants defenses were good, but they were nowhere near the level Dilweed and Johnson had.  As far as Marino is concerned, I don't penalize him for not winning one.  He was still one of the best ever in my book.

35 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Did Eli ever have a defense like Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson? 

Michael Strahan was a HOF DE, Justin Tuck was a Pro Bowl DE, Osi was a Pro Bowl DE, and that defensive front 4 were essentially the pioneers of the NASCAR package. Matthias Kiwinuka wasn't a slouch either.

I'm sure his Giants defenses were good, but they were nowhere near the level Dilweed and Johnson had. 

The reason the NYG won their first one with Eli is because that defense held arguably the GOAT offense to 14 points all game, to go with 274 total yards and sacked TB12 5 times.

As far as Marino is concerned, I don't penalize him for not winning one.  He was still one of the best ever in my book.

Good

I wouldn't vote Eli into the Hall of Fame, even before 2015 he was too inconsistent except for his durability.  I think he'll be in though.  I don't think you can put him in the same class as B Johnson or T Dilfer, because he legitimately carried a terrible team to a title in 2011 (worst rushing attack in the league, negative point differential, bottom 5? defense.)  2007 wasn't a good team either, not a good defense until they stepped it up in the playoffs.  People would probably knock Eli's first victory over the pats as "defense carried that game" but then also rank that team as one of the worst defenses to ever win a super bowl. 

• Like 1