General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I don't trust PFT lol

I don't see why not in this case. Sure they have their problem with the Niners, but or Mike does, but for us not to tag Armstead, it would be because a deal is close. I'm still going with the baseline being what Flowers got last season. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

i do trust her tho

All this means is he is taking a short-term deal where he hits the market again after two or three years and then gets even a bigger pay day with the increased cap. Expect a bunch of 2-3 year deals this free agency. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

All this means is he is taking a short-term deal where he hits the market again after two or three years and then gets even a bigger pay day with the increased cap. Expect a bunch of 2-3 year deals this free agency. 

Agreed. 

Just now, Forge said:

I'm going to expect that Sanders is gone, so we are going to need a wide receiver. 

Yeah, honestly with this being a deep WR draft and Shanny still trusting Pettis, I thought the only way Sanders returns is if he had no market elsewhere. But that is unlikely as he can still clearly play....But who knows, maybe market not as big as he thought and he does return?

See really no way Ward returns unless his market is completely robust. 

Life of a team being really talented with big deals upcoming! 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, honestly with this being a deep WR draft and Shanny still trusting Pettis, I thought the only way Sanders returns is if he had no market elsewhere. But that is unlikely as he can still clearly play....But who knows, maybe market not as big as he thought and he does return?

See really no way Ward returns unless his market is completely robust. 

Life of a team being really talented with big deals upcoming! 

At least I feel somewhat comfortable with Moore coming in for Ward. He's a terrible tackler replacing one of the best, but hopefully develops better ball skills. 

The receiver situation is pretty bad though because that is a bunch of completely unknowns, and you can't (or at least shouldn't) torpedo your limited super bowl window by hoping that a guy like Pettis or Hurd gets it figured out super early. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

At least I feel somewhat comfortable with Moore coming in for Ward. He's a terrible tackler replacing one of the best, but hopefully develops better ball skills. 

The receiver situation is pretty bad though because that is a bunch of completely unknowns, and you can't (or at least shouldn't) torpedo your limited super bowl window by hoping that a guy like Pettis or Hurd gets it figured out super early. 

Don't worry about it, if WR situation is still in dire shape by week 8, we will just make another move for a proven vet on the last year of his deal! The Lynch way! Lol.

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we don't at least franchise tag him, that's a fail on the part of the FO. You don't have to be cap compliant right now (I think Wed is the date for that). You can tag and trade. 

Negligence tbh 

Now other teams can talk to him and hurt our negotiating position

I don't understand it. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Don't worry about it, if WR situation is still in dire shape by week 8, we will just make another move for a proven vet on the last year of his deal! The Lynch way! Lol.

I threw an option out there on the podcast that I think a trade for like Marvin Jones would make a ton of sense. He's 30, so he has no long term future in Detroit, but could be a huge help for us with regards to the immediate year as a dependable receiver. And he'd be cheap (both contract wise and trade compensation wise). 

Just now, Forge said:

I threw an option out there on the podcast that I think a trade for like Marvin Jones would make a ton of sense. He's 30, so he has no long term future in Detroit, but could be a huge help for us with regards to the immediate year as a dependable receiver. And he'd be cheap (both contract wise and trade compensation wise). 

Would love Jones. One of my favorite WRs in the game. He's not great, but pretty damn good and consistent. 

As for Moore being a bad tackler? Definitely needs to clean that up, but he's a play maker and will be generating more turnovers than Ward. That's the trade off between the two. And when Moore was back there, we didn't allow any big plays minus Juju Smith's TD where Moore took a bad angle. Pretty encouraging signs IMO, especially when we play a team like the Bucs and hold them without a big reception? Not easy to do. 

• Like 2