General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It's honestly a weirdly high number of ERFA legitimate contributors. Awesome job by the team with their UDFAs. 

Specifically UDFAs who all didn't make NFL rosters initially. I think that is the even more incredible thing. Each of those guys went undrafted, didn't make rosters, and didn't accrue full NFL seasons. The team legitimately developed them.

Minor tweaks to our roster I think we need to add:

Speed rusher to groom behind Dee Ford 

Pass catching running back 

Redzone lengthy pass catcher (hopefully Jalen Hurd but this could be TE3, still not happy we cut Kaden Smith, felt like he was that guy) 

Young NT to groom behind DJ Jones (Sheldon day, Mitchel replacement/upgrade) 

SS competition (Marcell Harris started horribly but got better each week until tartt came back, I want to bring in someone young/middling vet to push him in camp at least) 

G depth 

Slot corner depth to push DJ Reed 

These are things outside of the super obvious moves like adding a FS for depth if ward leaves or adding some sort of WR if Sanders isn't on our team. At a minimum, I want UDFAs in these spots with upside. Could be ring chasing vets too that fit our culture 

7 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Specifically UDFAs who all didn't make NFL rosters initially. I think that is the even more incredible thing. Each of those guys went undrafted, didn't make rosters, and didn't accrue full NFL seasons. The team legitimately developed them.

Feels so good to have the scouts to be able to find a certain type of player to fit a specific role and to have a coaching staff that knows how to put them in the right place. One plan, one vision. So refreshing 

It also helps that we were so crappy that udfas were naturally going to get more attention from the coaches and more reps in practice. Sometimes guys just need the opportunity

This business model is basically what NE has done ---> superior scheme ---> every player with a specific role/job ---> acquire talent from "obscure" seemly random places .... They have tended to not pay players as well, we have overpaid players. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Minor tweaks to our roster I think we need to add:

Speed rusher to groom behind Dee Ford 

Pass catching running back 

Redzone lengthy pass catcher (hopefully Jalen Hurd but this could be TE3, still not happy we cut Kaden Smith, felt like he was that guy) 

Young NT to groom behind DJ Jones (Sheldon day, Mitchel replacement/upgrade) 

So agree with these, particularly the italicized. 

I liked Kaden Smith a lot, especially the value of where he was picked. >:(

20 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I agree with this and it's actually not all that surprising that outsiders don't know of Moore or how he was arguably our best defender in TC. If we can't bring back Ward, then Moore will be the guy at FS. 

Shanny/Lynch are drafting DL/OL/WR in round one take it to the bank. Even if we trade down they targeting those positions. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I agree with this and it's actually not all that surprising that outsiders don't know of Moore or how he was arguably our best defender in TC. If we can't bring back Ward, then Moore will be the guy at FS. 

Shanny/Lynch are drafting DL/OL/WR in round one take it to the bank. Even if we trade down they targeting those positions. 

That's what I am hoping for! A TE would be nice as well. In fact, I vote Claypool! I see some Kittle in him...the guy can be tough to bring down.

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I still don't think they're going to just hand it to him though. They're going to bring in a vet and make him earn the starting spot. Even if that vet is a little long in the tooth. 

37 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I still don't think they're going to just hand it to him though. They're going to bring in a vet and make him earn the starting spot. Even if that vet is a little long in the tooth. 

That's fine, nothing wrong with some competition. But if they let Ward go, the team isn't going to panic or anything. They know they have a guy that can take over for him on the roster. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

He kind of has a great attitude toward all of this lol

He always has great perspective. Even after the SB they asked him what "they" need to do to get back, and he was like I don't even know if I will be back, so have to ask them LOL. 

• Like 1