2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Which happened a decade ago... 

Anything else Debbie downer?

Yes. We’ve made almost nothing but stupid moves this free agency.  We’re 3-13 with a ton of cap space and signed a back up/scrub OG the falcons couldn’t wait to get rid of, a special teamer when the league is doing its best to eliminate special teams and a 36-year old LB.

We’re treating free agency like we’re the Patriots just looking to find some depth for the back end of our roster meanwhile we have an overpriced turnstile at RT, lost our LG because we wouldn’t go an extra $6M and refused to get in on any of the few difference makers with the exception of Amari Cooper who we nearly stupidly paid $22M a year. This is one of the most backwards approaches to free agency that I’ve ever seen. They should’ve paid Hooper. The fact that he’s not a Redskin when we probably have the biggest need of any team out there is just mind boggling to me. 

And what will make all of this worse is when Cam gets cut and we give him $25M a year for two years because we all know it’s coming. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yes. We’ve made almost nothing but stupid moves this free agency.  We’re 3-13 with a ton of cap space and signed a back up/scrub OG the falcons couldn’t wait to get rid of, a special teamer when the league is doing its best to eliminate special teams and a 36-year old LB.

We’re treating free agency like we’re the Patriots just looking to find some depth for the back end of our roster meanwhile we have an overpriced turnstile at RT, lost our LG because we wouldn’t go an extra $6M and refused to get in on any of the few difference makers with the exception of Amari Cooper who we nearly stupidly paid $22M a year. This is one of the most backwards approaches to free agency that I’ve ever seen. They should’ve paid Hooper. The fact that he’s not a Redskin when we probably have the biggest need of any team out there is just mind boggling to me. 

And what will make all of this worse is when Cam gets cut and we give him $25M a year for two years because we all know it’s coming. 

I mean, we haven’t even played 1 season under our new HC. We should not be comparing the new Era to how the front office was run under Bruce Allen.

I think no matter who we signed around Haskins that this team was likely to have double digit losses again this year bc I don’t think Haskins is ready to be a top half of the league starter.

So, the plan is clear. Continue to build through the draft for this year, next year again have a top 10 pick and then hopefully in the 3rd year of Rivera when Haskins is in his 4th year we will be a playoff team if, IF he develops into a good QB.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I mean, we haven’t even played 1 season under our new HC. We should not be comparing the new Era to how the front office was run under Bruce Allen.

I think no matter who we signed around Haskins that this team was likely to have double digit losses again this year bc I don’t think Haskins is ready to be a top half of the league starter.

So, the plan is clear. Continue to build through the draft for this year, next year again have a top 10 pick and then hopefully in the 3rd year of Rivera when Haskins is in his 4th year we will be a playoff team if, IF he develops into a good QB.

The prob as it looks at the moment your not giving Haskins the tools to show if he's good enough or not,and coach publicly seems to have him on a short leash.

Even worse for Haskins is the Virus has/is cancelling almost all of OTAs,meaning not only does it hurt him learning the new offense,it also hurts all 3 of the 1 year pro wrs that currently are his top 3 wrs and likley our TE who prob going to get picked in draft at this point.

Think a lot of people concerns are that our O was weakest thing on team last year and we've non nothing to improve it and seems like only attempt was being used to drive up price on Cooper for Cowboys

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

The prob as it looks at the moment your not giving Haskins the tools to show if he's good enough or not,and coach publicly seems to have him on a short leash.

Even worse for Haskins is the Virus has/is cancelling almost all of OTAs,meaning not only does it hurt him learning the new offense,it also hurts all 3 of the 1 year pro wrs that currently are his top 3 wrs and likley our TE who prob going to get picked in draft at this point.

Think a lot of people concerns are that our O was weakest thing on team last year and we've non nothing to improve it and seems like only attempt was being used to drive up price on Cooper for Cowboys

We’ve barely started free agency. I would think that our young WRs will only get better as will Guice & hopefully Love shows something too.

True it will mean less OTAs etc but oh well, what you gonna do. Nothin!

If we had signed Cooper, Hooper & Conklin it would hurt them bc they wouldn’t be able to practice with their new teammates and learn from their new coaches. Every free agent that’s going to a new team is on a level playing field as far as mini camps & OTAs being canceled or postponed.

Edited by turtle28

15 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

The prob as it looks at the moment your not giving Haskins the tools to show if he's good enough or not,and coach publicly seems to have him on a short leash

Exactly this. Very well said. 

Jared Goff sucked for the Rams in 2016, worse than Haskins did for us last year. They promptly went out and brought in Andrew Whitworth, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, and John Sullivan, as well as an offensive-minded HC. They gave him the tools he needed to succeed, so they could evaluate him fully and determine whether he was worth sticking with over the long haul. And lo and behold, he immediately took his game to the next level (took it up about 3 levels, actually) and showed he was capable of being a winning franchise QB. 

The Bills did something similar with Josh Allen last offseason — not to the same magnitude as the Rams with Goff, but the concept was the same: give this kid real tools/weapons to work with and let’s find out what we’ve got. 

The Redskins have continued to put a woeful supporting cast around Haskins. They’ve made almost no effort to put him in a position to succeed. They did go hard on Cooper, and I credit them for that, but he wasn’t the only fish in the sea that could have helped Dwayne out. As things stand — and perhaps they’ll do more over the next few weeks to add some talent — I think it would be difficult to say that the Redskins’ overall offensive talent level isn’t still bottom 2-3 in the league.

And that didn’t have to be the case. They’ve just chosen frugality and being fiscally conservative over aggressively outfitting their young QB with the tools he needs to have a real chance. And they’ll evidently be closely evaluating his future with the team, based largely on his performance with this weak roster. Which I think stinks, honestly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Exactly this. Very well said. 

Jared Goff sucked for the Rams in 2016, worse than Haskins did for us last year. They promptly went out and brought in Andrew Whitworth, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, and John Sullivan, as well as an offensive-minded HC. They gave him the tools he needed to succeed, so they could evaluate him fully and determine whether he was worth sticking with over the long haul. And lo and behold, he immediately took his game to the next level (took it up about 3 levels, actually) and showed he was capable of being a winning franchise QB. 

The Bills did something similar with Josh Allen last offseason — not to the same magnitude as the Rams with Goff, but the concept was the same: give this kid real tools/weapons to work with and let’s find out what we’ve got. 

The Redskins have continued to put a woeful supporting cast around Haskins. They’ve made almost no effort to put him in a position to succeed. They did go hard on Cooper, and I credit them for that, but he wasn’t the only fish in the sea that could have helped Dwayne out. As things stand — and perhaps they’ll do more over the next few weeks to add some talent — I think it would be difficult to say that the Redskins’ overall offensive talent level isn’t still bottom 2-3 in the league.

And that didn’t have to be the case. They’ve just chosen frugality and being fiscally conservative over aggressively outfitting their young QB with the tools he needs to have a real chance. And they’ll evidently be closely evaluating his future with the team, based largely on his performance with this weak roster. Which I think stinks, honestly.

Last I saw Haskins throwing to Terry & Steven Sims in December it didn't look like an offense devoid of talent. It looked like opposing defenses couldn't stop them.

We have a lot of talent at running back.

I remember a certain poster mentioning how this draft is extremely deep at wide receiver. And whoever they draft they can be a major contributor as a rookie WR.

Where did that poster go? Is he out there?

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We missed out on Tom Brady! We might as well not even play the season folks!

Sometimes I wonder if you’re purposely this obtuse? Ever year we have the same off-season and every year you make the same excuses. Not having a TE on this roster not named Sprinkle after two days of free agency is absolutely inexcusable for a franchise with $60M to spend and will most likely have more once they unload Trent Williams. So here we are again, picking through the scraps hoping we find some bargains. Sigh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

To be fair,Davis will be 37 next week 😁😋

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sometimes I wonder if you’re purposely this obtuse? Ever year we have the same off-season and every year you make the same excuses. Not having a TE on this roster not named Sprinkle after two days of free agency is absolutely inexcusable for a franchise with $60M to spend and will most likely have more once they unload Trent Williams. So here we are again, picking through the scraps hoping we find some bargains. Sigh. 

I'm definitely being deliberately obtuse about not signing Brady.

As for the rest, the only player I’m really disappointed we haven't signed so far is Austin Hopper. I wanted him, but I surely didn't want to pay $11 plus million a year for him.

That being said, I did want him. I was not on board with giving Cooper a record breaking deal for a WR, same w/ Byron Jones at CB. I had settled on Kendall Fuller the last week or two and I'm glad we got him. 

On defense I also thought we should re-sign Bostic and not throw around huge deals on LBs bc I like our young talent at LB. I like the leadership of Bostic and now Thomas Davis for Holcomb, SDH, JHC, Reuben Foster and Ryan Anderson.

I like our young talent at WR & I like the talent in this draft at TE & WR. We have a very talented group of running backs.

I get wanting to get a few big names but at the same time, I'm in a mode of wanting to see the young talent we have play and develop. I've been excited to see that next season since Haskins took over and Steven Sims & Harmon took over for Quinn & PRich.

Just gonna say I'm dispappointed with the little movement at the beginning of Free Agency. No TE or OLine help for your 2nd year QB. They really couldn't get Bradberry and Fuller? Bradberry is joining a Giants team who just drafted Deandre Baker in the 1st round last year. Also signed a top CB in the Supplement Draft previously. 

I’m fine with not getting Hooper. Maybe Ron is smart enough to realize Hoopers play had A little something to do with Julio and Ridley on either side of him, I mean he did see them twice a year. Or maybe Hooper just didn’t want to com here. They have to prove things have changed before this becomes a destination for FAs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Last I saw Haskins throwing to Terry & Steven Sims in December it didn't look like an offense devoid of talent. It looked like opposing defenses couldn't stop them.

We have a lot of talent at running back.

I remember a certain poster mentioning how this draft is extremely deep at wide receiver. And whoever they draft they can be a major contributor as a rookie WR.

Where did that poster go? Is he out there?

Except now we have to draft a TE and some OL with those picks instead. Because we didn't upgrade those positions in FA (and no the Falcons lineman is not an "upgrade")

18 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

I’m fine with not getting Hooper. Maybe Ron is smart enough to realize Hoopers play had A little something to do with Julio and Ridley on either side of him, I mean he did see them twice a year. Or maybe Hooper just didn’t want to com here. They have to prove things have changed before this becomes a destination for FAs. 

Rivera's presence hasn't done that? I would think players would want to play for him. Bradberry and Boston are 2 former good player's under Rivera and you get nethier. They both fill a need. You missed out on Cooper. That money definitely could've been spent on Bradberry, Boston, and Fuller. 

• Like 1