News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

I don’t think Dak holds out, but if he does I would rather Dalton to be captain of this luxury yacht of a roster, over Rush.

This is a non-answer. I was speaking nothing about the quality of a back-up, although I would rather McCarthy groom someone than to sign a vet. 

I honestly think it would be dumb for Dak to let another QB have a chance to move the ball with this offense. But he might be willing to take that chance if Rush in QB2

So...if we pull teeth and read between the lines - you DO think Dak loses some leverage with Dallas. That is the claim I find to be absurd. If you think Dak's agent will shave millions off because 32 (33 when the season starts?) year old Dalton has been signed then I really hope Dak's agent is that dumb.

Dak, in free agency, would sign the highest deal ever - until Pat signs. It's just the nature of the business. 

9 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

This is a non-answer. I was speaking nothing about the quality of a back-up, although I would rather McCarthy groom someone than to sign a vet. 

So...if we pull teeth and read between the lines - you DO think Dak loses some leverage with Dallas. That is the claim I find to be absurd. If you think Dak's agent will shave millions off because 32 (33 when the season starts?) year old Dalton has been signed then I really hope Dak's agent is that dumb.

Dak, in free agency, would sign the highest deal ever - until Pat signs. It's just the nature of the business. 

If Andy Dalton gives Dak more pause about holding out than Cooper Rush, then yes he loses leverage. Signing a QB2 who has played an NFL game to the roster would be beneficial. Not sure how you can debate that. If Dak is asking for something that SJ doesn’t want to pay, having a legitimate back up plan would be nice. Dalton isn’t necessarily my first choice but better than Rush. 

Look at it this way. Right now there is ZERO doubt that Dak will eventually get his deal. You can tell by looking at the roster. If we were to sign Cam, Winston, or Dalton etc... all of a sudden there is some doubt. How much doubt? Idk... but more than zero. That’s loss of leverage 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

If Andy Dalton gives Dak more pause about holding out than Cooper Rush, then yes he loses leverage. Signing a QB2 who has played an NFL game to the roster would be beneficial. Not sure how you can debate that. If Dak is asking for something that SJ doesn’t want to pay, having a legitimate back up plan would be nice. Dalton isn’t necessarily my first choice but better than Rush. 

Look at it this way. Right now there is ZERO doubt that Dak will eventually get his deal. You can tell by looking at the roster. If we were to sign Cam, Winston, or Dalton etc... all of a sudden there is some doubt. How much doubt? Idk... but more than zero. That’s loss of leverage 

I guess it depends as to how we view leverage.

Dak will likely sign the highest QB deal in history. Be it with Dallas or elsewhere. If you view the 'elsewhere' as a loss a leverage, then I suppose that is one way of looking at it.

Dak's agent isn't going to fear Dalton. It isn't going to change his calculation. 

Edited by Texas_OutLaw7

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Dak will likely sign the highest QB deal in history. Be it with Dallas or elsewhere. If you view the 'elsewhere' as a loss a leverage, then I suppose that is one way of looking at it.

Dak's agent isn't going to fear Dalton. It isn't going to change his calculation. 

Just out of curiosity and getting your opinion. If we just flat out let Dak go and signed Dalton.

Who would sign Dak to the richest deal ever for a QB?

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I agree, if his agent is good(and he is) he won’t change his calculations. He has a gun to our head and our feet to the fire. Removing the gun from our head would be nice, even if our feet remain over the fire.

2 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Just out of curiosity and getting your opinion. If we just flat out let Dak go and signed Dalton.

Who would sign Dak to the richest deal ever for a QB?

Any team that needs a QB? It would be hilarious if the Patriots gave him top cash.

Look at what Cousins got - good QBs don't hit free agency often. And when they do, someone pains them to re-set the market. 

The fact that some people here don't think he would bank is hilarious. Delusional. But absolutely hilarious. 

25 minutes ago, D82 said:

I hope like hell we have football this fall. I don't know if I can deal with some of these conversations for another year.

Oh the price goes way down if everyone sits a year

2 hours ago, eagles suck said:

McClay did say it was his pick. I just think he was used wrong here, and he didn't have the best attitude. You seen the difference on the Dolphins he played pretty well

Are we talking about the same Taco Charlton who the Dolphins cut after “playing pretty well”?

Dude is trash.

5 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

I would love for this team to put some emphasis on the backup QB position again. Dalton would be a great pickup and will give Dallas some leverage to go into the season with a quality QB if Dak continues to holdout. Cooper Rush scares no one.  

Dalton scares no one, either, I assure you.

The bottom line is that Dak has a ton of leverage. If the Cowboys want to contend this year, they need him available and working this offseason with MM installing the offense. The just need to sign him, and will.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. The point is if Dak holds out and this goes into TC and (heaven forbid) regular season games, we would have an experienced, quality backup QB who can win us some games (unlike Rush). No one is saying Dalton is replacing Dak, but having a capable QB does give Dallas more leverage, no matter how small it is. Andy Dalton (and Cam) never had this type of offensive firepower. Let's not forget if Dak gets injured, our season is lost. A backup plan would be great in either scenario.

I would love Dalton or Cam here on a 1 yr deal.

Edited by Tony7188
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Any team that needs a QB? It would be hilarious if the Patriots gave him top cash.

Look at what Cousins got - good QBs don't hit free agency often. And when they do, someone pains them to re-set the market. 

The fact that some people here don't think he would bank is hilarious. Delusional. But absolutely hilarious. 

I'm not saying he wouldnt get paid.

Just looking around, not many teams have that type of cap space available.

Then the teams that do have cap space, is Dak a clear upgrade?

The teams where Dak is a clear upgrade, how easy would it be for thos teams to move on from their current QB without significant cap ramifications?

Again, not saying Dak shouldnt get paid here, just thinking of possible destinations if Dallas just rescinded the tag.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Are we talking about the same Taco Charlton who the Dolphins cut after “playing pretty well”?

Dude is trash.

Coming into a new system and getting 5 sacks in 10 games only starting 5 of them is good in my standards