News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

12 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

But again, this is also balanced by the drops. Like I said, I think the truth is more in the middle ground.

That Dak is a good QB who is getting better with age? If that's your point, I agree with it. He isn't necessarily Mahomes, but he isn't somebody that's easily replaceable. He's shown enough to warrant an extension and to be trusted with the reigns of this franchise. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, D82 said:

That Dak is a good QB who is getting better with age? If that's your point, I agree with it. He isn't necessarily Mahomes, but he isn't somebody that's easily replaceable. He's shown enough to warrant an extension and to be trusted with the reigns of this franchise. 

He is definitely not easy to replace. He has earned his keep and his money. He has the mobility, arm, and football instincts you can build on. He delivers a catchable ball, and his accuracy has been improving. I would like see him keep making improvements on how quickly he sees things and let's the ball out, as that has sometimes been a problem. But I could not fathom all these motions of him being anything less than a damn good QB. That's just blind hate that is simply undeserved.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I didnt say his best quarter was the 4th. But those extra yards in the 4th extra cover 4 with an open field underneath allowed him much easier passing yards in the 4th. If it were a tighter contested game, he would not have found those final drives being much more difficult. Even if it was only 50 or 60 yards, even 40, those equated over 6 of 8 losses are still enough yards to push him up the list of passing yard leaders

But again, this is also balanced by the drops. Like I said, I think the truth is more in the middle ground.

6 or 8 games? Dude, maybe 3. Packers, Bills and Bears.

Just now, Dallas94Ware said:

He is definitely not easy to replace. He has earned his keep and his money. He has the mobility, arm, and football instincts you can build on. He delivers a catchable ball, and his accuracy has been improving. I would like see him keep making improvements on how quickly he sees things and let's the ball out, as that has sometimes been a problem. But I could not fathom all these motions of him being anything less than a damn good QB. That's just blind hate that is simply undeserved.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472c7eb70bf6c4d624c2

• Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

6 or 8 games? Dude, maybe 3. Packers, Bills and Bears.

6 of 8, because it was not just blow outs that the defenses were playing cover 4 for the last drive or two. It was during most of the losses to prevent big strikes to tie it up or take a lead, forcing Dak to drive the field. Which was, prior to this year, a perceived issue for Dak - driving the length of the field with his arm only, no time to run, and having to get the ball out fast. 

If we could trade say a 5th(Not sure what picks we have so don't crucify) for either Njoku or OJ Howard, which one would you want.?  They both had their 5th year option picked up, so we would have 2 years, assuming no extension.   Njoku is 23, and Howard is 25, or would you rather keep the 5th and roll with Jarwin?

1 minute ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

If we could trade say a 5th(Not sure what picks we have so don't crucify) for either Njoku or OJ Howard, which one would you want.?  They both had their 5th year option picked up, so we would have 2 years, assuming no extension.   Njoku is 23, and Howard is 25, or would you rather keep the 5th and roll with Jarwin?

Howard, easily. But Tampa keeps suggesting they are not letting him go without a ransom. Maybe Brate is available - but I would rather roll with Jarwin. 

1 minute ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Neither is going for a 5th. However with this team I would give a 3rd and a 5th for Howard. He has ability as a blocker and receiver. Njoku is a legit vertical threat at TE...but so is Jarwin, so you would be adding more of what we have. Howard brings value to the pass, the run, and adds quality depth and competition to the position

11 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

6 of 8, because it was not just blow outs that the defenses were playing cover 4 for the last drive or two. It was during most of the losses to prevent big strikes to tie it up or take a lead, forcing Dak to drive the field. Which was, prior to this year, a perceived issue for Dak - driving the length of the field with his arm only, no time to run, and having to get the ball out fast. 

6 still seems high. I cant think of 6 games that we had soft coverage. And maybe it was for a drive or two, but teams were certainly playing the pass all season against us. Zeke only saw a loaded box on 17% of his rushes. And I would guess most of those were short yardage. 

8 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Isnt Njoku wanting a $20m/yr extension? I dont know enough about him to know if he is worth it, 

EDIT: Im stupid, I was thinking of Yannick or whatever the DE from Jags

Edited by Matts4313

That was my problem with the offense all year. While I couldn't study the way I used to, I still watched. And Zeke running for 2 yards against 7 man fronts pissed me off. The blocking was there much of the time too, his vision was often not.

However back to the topic of the passing yardage - cover 4 was the bane of this offense the year prior because Dak often had problems getting ball out quickly or seeing the gaps in zones quickly. And when Cooper, a big play threat, is the top target, you remove what he does best by putting dak in that situation. The downside to the D should be Zeke ripping them a new one, and it just didnt happen this year as the year before. But Dak did make the leap beyond that problem of his own. I'd have to go back and count how many 4th quarters Dak played against mostly soft coverage or cover 4, but to me it seemed a fairly significant portion of the losses. Which would be expected when his top target is a big play guy, the clock is to the defenses advantage, and Dak has traditionally had issues when that is eliminated.

21 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Howard, easily. But Tampa keeps suggesting they are not letting him go without a ransom. Maybe Brate is available - but I would rather roll with Jarwin. 

I'm not desperate to add a TE.

Howard would be a nice add if he could come really cheap. Anybody else, and I'd probably rather just roll with Jarwin.

21 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

6 still seems high. I cant think of 6 games that we had soft coverage. And maybe it was for a drive or two, but teams were certainly playing the pass all season against us. Zeke only saw a loaded box on 17% of his rushes. And I would guess most of those were short yardage. 

Isnt Njoku wanting a $20m/yr extension? I dont know enough about him to know if he is worth it, 

EDIT: Im stupid, I was thinking of Yannick or whatever the DE from Jags

Was gonna say isn't Kelce's average $10m?

13 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

That was my problem with the offense all year. While I couldn't study the way I used to, I still watched. And Zeke running for 2 yards against 7 man fronts pissed me off. The blocking was there much of the time too, his vision was often not.

However back to the topic of the passing yardage - cover 4 was the bane of this offense the year prior because Dak often had problems getting ball out quickly or seeing the gaps in zones quickly. And when Cooper, a big play threat, is the top target, you remove what he does best by putting dak in that situation. The downside to the D should be Zeke ripping them a new one, and it just didnt happen this year as the year before. But Dak did make the leap beyond that problem of his own. I'd have to go back and count how many 4th quarters Dak played against mostly soft coverage or cover 4, but to me it seemed a fairly significant portion of the losses. Which would be expected when his top target is a big play guy, the clock is to the defenses advantage, and Dak has traditionally had issues when that is eliminated.

I thought Zeke started the year terrible but looked  better as the season wore on. But as Zeke got better, literally all our WRs got hobbled. And then the drops got out of control. We all remember how bad Dak was in philly, but people forget we had like an absurd number of drops that game. It was like 10 or something crazy high.

45 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Blind hate from some yes but not me. I like Dak. He is the franchise QB of the Cowboys but you said it yourself he is not Mahomes and right now that is the only QB who warrants a 40 million dollar price tag, not Dak. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

Blind hate from some yes but not me. I like Dak. He is the franchise QB of the Cowboys but you said it yourself he is not Mahomes and right now that is the only QB who warrants a 40 million dollar price tag, not Dak. 

Dak gets $35MM, Mahomes will probably get $40-$50MM, and then the next guy will get more, and so on and so on. That's how the market works, whether the player "deserves" it or not.