1990s Horror - Official FF BMET (Nominations OPEN)

Deadpulse

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Hannibal Lecter is top 5 movie villain all time no matter what list you look at and made the top villain in AFI's 100 Years 100 Heroes & Villains list made in 2003.

We learn a buttload about him despite his brief time on camera. And I think it's done really well.

He's from the era where having the ultimate badass monster with no real weaknesses was actually fun and scary.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I hate you and I know what you’re doing.

If Silence of the Lambs counts, Se7en absolutely counts.

I agree they're both the epitome of thrillers, and should be the type of thrillers all aspire to be. 

But they count as horror for this poll. So both should be recognized.

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

I go back and forth on some films on that topic

but I always looked at lambs at crime/thriller. Do people question the genre manhunter is in? have a hard time considering that a 80s horror.

That is fine, everyone is different but I found that movie to be very scary and that main villain to be creepy as hell.  Just because it is a crime mystery film does not mean it is not a horror movie.  What a movie with a solid storyline and a plot is automatically not a horror movie?  No thank you.

Is the movie thrilling or horrifying?  Guess it depends on what scares you, and that will make it either a thriller or a horror movie I suppose.  

I would say Prisoners and Locke were thriller movies, did not horrify but were thrilling interesting movies especially Prisoners.  Some scary parts in Prisoners but not horrifying by any means, scary subject matter sure.  To make it more clear that thriller category should have been gone away with, and put into either Horror or action/thriller categories but sure he needed 8 for the tournament so needed the thriller category.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That is fine, everyone is different but I found that movie to be very scary and that main villain to be creepy as hell.  Just because it is a crime mystery film does not mean it is not a horror movie.  What a movie with a solid storyline and a plot is automatically not a horror movie?  No thank you.

Is the movie thrilling or horrifying?  Guess it depends on what scares you, and that will make it either a thriller or a horror movie I suppose.  

I would say Prisoners and Locke were thriller movies, did not horrify but were thrilling interesting movies especially Prisoners.  Some scary parts in Prisoners but not horrifying by any means, scary subject matter sure.  To make it more clear that thriller category should have been gone away with, and put into either Horror or action/thriller categories but sure he needed 8 for the tournament so needed the thriller category.  

Manhunter was much more suspense than the others of the series after it. They became actually kinda scary after the original.

Definitely got darker.

8 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

that would have been my 5th choice

but i am limiting myself to 4

Spiders are my one bugaboo. And that movie terrified me as a kid. I still won't walk under a spider on the ceiling.

But it's ridiculous now. And last time I watched it, I laughed more than once.

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

Spiders are my one bugaboo. And that movie terrified me as a kid. I still won't walk under a spider on the ceiling.

But it's ridiculous now. And last time I watched it, I laughed more than once.

I like horror comedies, so its right up my alley

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

Manhunter was much more suspense than the others of the series after it. They became actually kinda scary after the original.

The dude in Manhunter was way creepier, Red Dragon the remade version of Manhunter with a twist, I found that to be more tame and less scary than the original Manhunter.  By the way say Hopkins was Lecter in Manhunter instead of Bryan Cox who was nothing great and a pretty tame Lecter, the original Manhunter in general would be looked on different potentially.

PS Hannibal I did not like and thought it was really quite bad.  

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The dude in Manhunter was way creepier, Red Dragon the remade version of Manhunter with a twist, I found that to be more tame and less scary than the original Manhunter.  By the way say Hopkins was Lecter in Manhunter instead of Bryan Cox who was nothing great and a pretty tame Lecter, the original Manhunter in general would be looked on different potentially.

PS Hannibal I did not like and thought it was really quite bad.  

Hopkins made Hannibal. No doubt. If anyone else played him, or the original guy played him in the sequels, the series dies.

But Manhunter felt more suspenseful to me than the following movies. Maybe because I saw Hopkins do it before I went back and watched the original.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Silence of the Lambs
The Blair Witch Project
Jacob's Ladder
Funny Games
Candyman
Scream
It
Storm of the Century

Two of those are "TV mini-series" but still on film and of movie length so I put them in.  Well Storm of the Century is 4+ hours but whatever, worth a nod.

Considered The Sixth Sense, Misery and Se7en Thriller/mystery category but that could be up for debate with those potentially.  Absolutely consider Silence of the Lambs a horror movie 100%.  If not this entire time period freaking sucks like I have said before, Jacob's Ladder or The Balir Witch Project will win otherwise.  

Are you talking the crap remake?  That was 2010 I thought and the original A Nightmare on Elm Street is 1984, that is a classic.

Didn’t realize we were going by decades

Silence of the Lambs is a thriller yall, common.  Se7en too.

I would nominate Scream, because it's iconic, but most of the other huge ones from that decade sucked IMO.  Coppola's Dracula I actually like, and would also nominate.  Event Horizon, Ravenous, and Mimic too.  Mimic scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, but I really liked bugs at the time.

I'm surprised to not see Sixth Sense on people's lists.  If we're arguing Silence and Se7en, you'd think it would be in the same category.

• Like 1