Panthers to keep Cam Newton for some reason

Ty21

6 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

People on this forum seemed so insistent that Cam was gone next year, despite that never making much sense at all.

The ideas some people come up with sometimes are way over-thought.

Don't you think its a little early for a victory lap ?
All we have is a 2nd hand report attributed to unnamed "sources" stating that Cam is the starter for now... in February, the official start of lying season
That's exactly what you'd say if you were planning to trade him isn't it ?

Cam is part of the old panthers and that team went away the day Tepper wrote the check.
You're certainly welcome to bust my chops later, but I see no way that Tepper's Panthers will keep Cam as their QB for the 2020 season.

They aren't going to extend him and Cam is on record saying he wants a commitment. The instagram video is telling:

"All I want is a little commitment and you can't even give me that ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8_0gEBhRv1/

When the Panthers ink the extension, you can take a victory lap. Till then its all just a bunch of fluffery

• Like 1

Just now, Shanedorf said:

All we have is a 2nd hand report attributed to unnamed "sources" stating that Cam is the starter for now... in February, the official start of lying season

Cam is part of the old panthers and that team went away the day Tepper wrote the check.
You're certainly welcome to bust my chops later, but I see no way that Tepper's Panthers will keep Cam as their QB for the 2020 season.

They aren't going to extend him and Cam is on record saying he wants a commitment. The instagram video is telling:

When the Panthers ink the extension, you can take a victory lap. Till then its all just a bunch of fluffery

I saw that video today. That's a big pretty stretch to say he was referring to the Panthers. Looks to me he was referring to his workout and talking out loud.  

There really isn't more Rhule can say than what he did today in supporting Cam staying in Carolina.  Also, franchise QB's transcend coaching regimes all the time.  

Barring some crazy draft day fall or some generous trade offer, Cam's staying for 2020.

13 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The point I'm making is that until Carolina says that they aren't starting Cam, everything else is fluffery because you have to actually find someone equal to or better than Cam for the right price before you can even suggest writing Cam off. Most people on here aren't providing a solid argument, and insisting that he's gone regardless. No foundation to that argument at all. Even if you do have a solid suggestion, there is no guarantee that Carolina is going to get what they want lol.

I get that speculation is fun, but I really haven't seen much reason to doubt that Cam will be back.

Edited by lolsurebro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Newton stays, Dan Quinn stays...all that needs to happen is Jameis Winston to continue to start and the Saints win the NFC South offseason by default

and we Packers fans thought that the other three NFC North teams consistently made questionable decisions

12 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

One of the most overrated QBs in the game. They need to move on and trade him while he still has some value

This... I had a friend that lived in NC at one time who said watching Cam play was painful. He has no touch whatsoever and has collapsed since his flukey MVP season. 

I love the title of this thread. It's exactly what I thought when I read the report. I was hoping they'd trade him to Chicago so he could have an even bigger collapse of his career...

4 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

The point I'm making is that until Carolina says that they aren't starting Cam, everything else is fluffery because you have to actually find someone equal to or better than Cam for the right price before you can even suggest writing Cam off.

Carolina won't ever say they aren't starting Cam, that hurts his trade value. And when Rhule was asked directly if he will commit to Cam as starter right now, he declined to make that commitment. The Panthers do not have to find somebody equal or better than Cam to make that move. They have Will Grier and Kyle Allen on the roster already and there are a number of stopgap FAs available. The Panthers are tanking for Trevor, that does not require much on the QB side

As I've noted before, the Panthers are the one team that gets double financial benefit from landing Trevor Lawrence...he gets Tepper the South Carolina/Clemson football fans as newly minted Panther fans and that incremental increase is worth a lot of money to Tepper as he looks into stadium upgrades and a new practice facility just over the border in South Carolina.

Cam will be traded for a 2021 pick, that allows for it to be conditional based on his performance and they will want more draft ammo in 2021 to ensure they can land Trevor. So the 2020 Panthers don't need or want Cam and they don't need or want anybody as good or better than Cam. Its just not part of the long term plan and its part of why Rhule got the 7 year contract, to allow time for the tear-down and the rebuild.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Carolina won't ever say they aren't starting Cam, that hurts his trade value. And when Rhule was asked directly if he will commit to Cam as starter right now, he declined to make that commitment. The Panthers do not have to find somebody equal or better than Cam to make that move. They have Will Grier and Kyle Allen on the roster already and there are a number of stopgap FAs available. The Panthers are tanking for Trevor, that does not require much on the QB side

As I've noted before, the Panthers are the one team that gets double financial benefit from landing Trevor Lawrence...he gets Tepper the South Carolina/Clemson football fans as newly minted Panther fans and that incremental increase is worth a lot of money to Tepper as he looks into stadium upgrades and a new practice facility just over the border in South Carolina.

Cam will be traded for a 2021 pick, that allows for it to be conditional based on his performance and they will want more draft ammo in 2021 to ensure they can land Trevor. So the 2020 Panthers don't need or want Cam and they don't need or want anybody as good or better than Cam. Its just not part of the long term plan and its part of why Rhule got the 7 year contract, to allow time for the tear-down and the rebuild.

You would make a great screenwriter.  It's entirely possible the Panthers still draft a QB day one in 2020 or next year. But they won't intentionally tank. And, should they move on, the Panthers do need to find someone equal to or better than Cam. Otherwise they can't justify his release or his trade. If he's healthy then he will go to another team and be successful. The Panthers aren't guaranteed a successful franchise QB in the draft, no matter where they are positioned. If Cam's healthy then they know they already have one. It's a massive risk to let a healthy Cam go somewhere else, then draft a dud QB and let the team suck for the next 4 years. It would make Tepper look like an idiot. And all this stuff about cutting Cam to sign a veteran FA that would cost more money and not be as good doesn't make any sense either.

Rhule is excited to coach Cam. If he does it right then the Panthers can rebound rather quickly. Plus Cam is on a cheap one year rental. He deserves one more shot with a new regime. Rhule isn't naming him the starter because he is the new HC, he is giving respect to the entire roster. Everyone will compete and that is the right thing to say. Everything else he said was very pro Cam Newton.  If Cam fails and  the team is lackluster then they may very well take Lawrence next year. But right now they have an opportunity to get a franchise LT at #7 which they desperately need of anyone playing QB in Carolina.

Edited by RabidPanther89
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 2:26 PM, Drained said:

Don't get the hate boner either, Cam is a solid starter and loved in his home city.

That's worth something too.  I have to admit that I have a somewhat negative opinion of Cam for three reasons:

1. I just can't get the image out of my head of seeing him sitting on the sidelines early in his career pouting with a towel on his head.

2. Not diving for a fumble in the Super Bowl.  No excuse for that.  You've got to want it more than that.

3. I just haven't seen very many Panthers games so I very likely don't appreciate him as much as I should.

I admit that my opinion isn't all that valid for 2 out of the 3 reasons listed above.  If the fans love him, it shows I'm probably wrong on my opinion of the guy.  He was a one-time league MVP, so he can obviously play the game at a high level.  If they can justify keeping from a health standpoint, it totally makes sense to hang on to him.

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's worth something too.  I have to admit that I have a somewhat negative opinion of Cam for three reasons:

1. I just can't get the image out of my head of seeing him sitting on the sidelines early in his career pouting with a towel on his head.

2. Not diving for a fumble in the Super Bowl.  No excuse for that.  You've got to want it more than that.

3. I just haven't seen very many Panthers games so I very likely don't appreciate him as much as I should.

I admit that my opinion isn't all that valid for 2 out of the 3 reasons listed above.  If the fans love him, it shows I'm probably wrong on my opinion of the guy.  He was a one-time league MVP, so he can obviously play the game at a high level.  If they can justify keeping from a health standpoint, it totally makes sense to hang on to him.

You address this later in your post but.

1. This is ultimately something that doesn’t matter. He eventually stopped the expressive sulking. The opposite of this is the amazing energy and confidence  Cam can bring to  his team and the fans. Also Rodgers and Brady piss and moan all day but no one cares.

2. The fumble. I’ll give you this, it looks bad. But he wasn’t going to recover that ball and it wasn’t going to change the game. It wasn’t going to stop Denver from head hunting Cam all night without consequence. It didn’t overturn the clear the Cotchery catch and it didn’t change the fact that Denver was offsides on two missed field goals.

3. Watch him more. When you do you begin to understand what he’s been dealing with in terms of WRs and o-line. That while he does have accuracy struggles he is more cerebral as a QB than given credit for. And that box score stats don’t tell the whole picture of his game. One of the best games to watch of Cam is the 2017 -2018 playoff game against the Saints. He couldn’t have played any better. We should have won that game if not for Clay and Funchess dropping two touchdowns.. He’s also  had really clutch games against the Saints, Seattle, Eagles, Giants, and Patriots. He also isn’t really a “running QB”. He just plays to win.

Edited by RabidPanther89
  • Like 2