Panthers to keep Cam Newton for some reason

Ty21

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

What sense? I'm not sure it makes any at all. I agree with that. But at the same time I'm offering a possible perspective that, knowing he really doesnt have trade value right now perhaps they're hoping he develops some to be able to get something out of him. That all would hinge on landing Tua or Herbert though.

The most likely scenario and smartest decision is simply to ride out the final year of his contract and then start over.

That's understandable, if this is the case, they need to put that plan in place NOW, so that they can draft his successor and let him sit for a year and be ready to go in 21

11 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

People on this forum seemed so insistent that Cam was gone next year, despite that never making much sense at all. Similar to the folks saying Dak isn't getting his money in Dallas.

The ideas some people come up with sometimes are way over-thought.

Brees is going to retire.

Brady is going to walk.

Cam is being traded.

Big Ben is done.

Gotta drum up those headlines to keep that sweet ad money rolling in during off-season. Most of these newsrooms must look like Charlie trying to figure out who is Pepe Silvia.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

People on this forum seemed so insistent that Cam was gone next year, despite that never making much sense at all. Similar to the folks saying Dak isn't getting his money in Dallas.

The ideas some people come up with sometimes are way over-thought.

Don't get the hate boner either, Cam is a solid starter and loved in his home city.

Honestly, the scariest point of this for me from a Panthers perspective is that he goes out this season, is healthy, and plays really well and then they sign him to a long term deal. If I'm the Panthers, I simply have no interest in him long term and the possibility of getting fooled by a great season can be real. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drained said:

Don't get the hate boner either, Cam is a solid starter and loved in his home city.

Atlanta?

To be serious, I don’t see that Newton offers much if he’s not running; he’s just not a good enough thrower.  The Panthers will say the right things, but if there’s an opportunity to move up in the draft for a franchise QB they’re taking it

Smartest move they can make at this point. If they trade or cut him then they'd still end up signing a QB in FA for more money  than Cam costs and with less talent. That doesn't make any sense. They also aren't in a position to trade up right now. Mortgaging the future to trade up on a player you don't know for certain would be better than the healthy version of your guy already on the roster doesn't help either. They have other holes they can fill and be a competitive team much faster this way. I'm excited to see what Rhule and Brady can do with Cam. He gets one more shot, which I and many Panther fans want to see.