Bears Reportedly Seeking Dalton

dll2000

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I offer them a conditional 2021 4th round pick if they eat 10 million of his deal.

The condition would make it a 3, if Dalton starts over 10+ games or he re-signs with the Bears.

Otherwise they can pound sand and I will wait for him to be released or sign Keenum.

What would the cap hit be if the Bengals simply cut him? 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

None. His guarantees are all used up and they’ve already allocated for his entire signing bonus throughout the prior life of his contract. 

That would be Cincinnati’s remaining cap hit. Assumed that’s what you meant. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

HonestlyI think after watching the O stink for most of 3 years they are cool with some INTs as long as Bears are moving the football and regularly crossing the goal line.

Amazing how the recent past can change your outlook.  Hard to watch a million 3 downs and a punt.  

I mean we went 8-8, but didn’t it feel like 1-15?

Nope.  I actually recall 1969 when we were 1-13 and it didn't feel anything like that at all.

This is how 1969 felt.

th?id=OIP.nOwKDcn-U-b4bxboHv3icAHaHa&pid

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

FWIW this article names three teams who are said to have an interest in trading for Andy Dalton; Chicago, Indy, and New England.

One reason I can see for Dalton wanting to wait a bit is to see what happens with Indy and NE where he would be most likely to land the #1 spot should Indy fail to sign Rivers and Brady decide to leave NE when the best we are willing to offer is the #2 role for starters but with an honest shot at surpassing Mitch for the #1 spot.  But anyway you look at it both Indy and NE offer staunch competition.

So this is about the latest poop I've read and though it comes via Ian Rapaport at least in this case it seems to make some sense.

The Cincinnati Bengals are almost certain to trade Andy Dalton this offseason, and for now, the discussion looks like it may potentially center around three teams.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media , the Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts and New England Patriots figure to be the three major suitors for Dalton depending on how things go.

The interest from the Colts and Patriots is going to be dependent on other factors. The Patriots will be interested if Tom Brady leaves the organization. For the Colts, Dalton is likely a backup plan if a pursuit of Philip Rivers falls short.

The Bears have the most settled situation right now, and that’s probably one of the reasons they’ve reportedly spoken with the Bengals already. Chicago is committed to Mitchell Trubisky as its starter, but there’s certainly a chance he could continue to struggle and open the door for Dalton.

Dalton will have a say in where he lands. With that in mind, he might want to wait a bit and see how the market shapes up before pushing for a trade to a team that might give him the best chance of starting in 2020.

Edited by soulman

14 hours ago, soulman said:

Nope.  I actually recall 1969 when we were 1-13 and it didn't feel anything like that at all.

This is how 1969 felt.

th?id=OIP.nOwKDcn-U-b4bxboHv3icAHaHa&pid

1969 was a crazy time.  A bit before I was born, but radical politics of 30s and 60s were hugely historic in their impact on nation.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, soulman said:

Dalton will have a say in where he lands. With that in mind, he might want to wait a bit and see how the market shapes up before pushing for a trade to a team that might give him the best chance of starting in 2020.

Depending on how long the wait is, that may take the Bears out - they aren’t really in a position to wait on Dalton over other potential options through the start of FA only to have those other guys sign elsewhere and then Dalton picks NE or IND and we’re caught with our pants down. One would think NE wouldn’t want to wait beyond the start of FA either, but Indy has the luxury of having Brissett already in house. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

1969 was a crazy time.  A bit before I was born, but radical politics of 30s and 60s were hugely historic in their impact on nation.

Yes they did.  The polarization was not all that different than today.  We survived it but not without some damage and some deep bruises.

But IMHO we don't want to go back to that era either.  It was not one of our "shining moments".  We've moved beyond it and we should keep moving beyond it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Depending on how long the wait is, that may take the Bears out - they aren’t really in a position to wait on Dalton over other potential options through the start of FA only to have those other guys sign elsewhere and then Dalton picks NE or IND and we’re caught with our pants down. One would think NE wouldn’t want to wait beyond the start of FA either, but Indy has the luxury of having Brissett already in house. 

I'm thinking the same which is why if I was in Pace's shoes I would keep pressing the issue.  Dalton still has to fit from an affordability perspective but if we do discount Carr as a prospect then Dalton has to head the list based on Paces stated criteria.

If in combination Cincy and Dalton are willing to do what it would take to make any trade cap friendly for us within reason I would probably be willing to give up more in trade.  I know some think that's crazy and have their own ideas of what this would be worth but the reality of it all is if we want a specific player whose under contract the price may be a bit higher due to demand.

I keep hearing mid round pick which I'm gonna peg as a 4th or a 5th with an outside chance of a 3rd if it's a 2021 3rd and based on a sliding scale conditioned on how much Dalton plays.  The likelihood of drafting a 3rd or 4th round QB who would ever be as beneficial as Dalton may be for several years isn't all that likely. 

If Mitch fails we should probably be looking at spending a 1st or at least a 2nd on a rookie QB in 2021 and we're likely to need a guy like Dalton as the #1 'til whoever is ready to start.  How long will that take?  One year?  Two years?  So in my mind this is not a one year deal with Dalton and why as part of the deal we should be extending him which will also bring down his initial cap cost.

As long as Dalton has a say in this we have a selling job to do with him as well and hopefully this is where having Lazor as our OC helps. I can't help but thinking that Dalton being a target for us may have in part led to that decision.  So.....we'll see how it goes and now that the Combine is over I expect Pace and Laine to be quite busy with deals during the next couple of weeks.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, dll2000 said:
On 2/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, dll2000 said:

All over twitter that Bears have inquired about trading for Dalton. 

Insert gif with very passive and sarcastic yay. 

Has me about as excited as Mike Glennon announcement.

Though I think Dalton is an okay starter at his best and Glennon is just a suck bum.  The idea of giving up an asset for Dalton is an upsetting one.  I could perhaps stomach it for Carr, but Dalton?   

My thinking is this.  Bears aren’t going to win with a mediocre never was or has been veteran QB.  They are going to win some games, but not win win.   For same reasons that QB never won with his original team (Dalton).  Or is busted now (Cam Newton/Alex Smith).   Or is wildly inconsistent (Foles).  They likely aren’t going to win with Trubisky, but there is still an outside hope there as he is young and talented enough that something unexpected could happen.   

Why not bring in a young dude with some potential and let him legit compete for job?  Maybe you could strike some unexpected gold.

Then if it doesn’t work out, just hit reset button next year in draft or maybe something unexpected falls in your lap in a good veteran who has a falling out with a team or is actually healthy again and not just coming off a major injury. 

I don't know if I agree with this.  Dalton is a decent quarterback and if he is playing on a team with a dominant defense as the Bears have, he could maybe make some waves in the postseason.  I would look at it as being similar to when Brad Johnson was playing for the Buccaneers.  Johnson wasn't a world-beater on his own, but with that supporting cast, he was able to do enough to win it all.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't know if I agree with this.  Dalton is a decent quarterback and if he is playing on a team with a dominant defense as the Bears have, he could maybe make some waves in the postseason.  I would look at it as being similar to when Brad Johnson was playing for the Buccaneers.  Johnson wasn't a world-beater on his own, but with that supporting cast, he was able to do enough to win it all.

That's my take on it as well.

Assuming we can get Dalton and extend him for a couple more years if Mitch ascends we can easily move on from Dalton with a younger less costly #2.  The reason for bringing in Dalton is as a hedge against just the opposite.  Not only does Mitch not ascend but he either plateaus or regressed even more.  Then he becomes toast and Dalton becomes #1 while we search for and draft another QB.

IMHO had Andy Dalton been starting for the Bears in 2019 we would have won more than 8 games.  Can he take us to and win a Super Bowl? Maybe not but can anyone envision that from Mitch right now?  Dalton is a significant upgrade from Chase Daniel and his presence would still not preclude the need for another younger QB in the pipeline to develop so we draft one but later on Day 3.

My belief is that by the end of year three teams know pretty much what they have in any given player and what his ceiling and floor as a pro are.  We can pretty much toss out Mitch's rookie year under Fox and call this his 3rd year in this offense.  If he can't grasp it and operate it efficiently by now then he's not the right guy for this team and this offense and we'll be very happy that we have a capable vet who can take over as opposed to going all the way back to square one with a rookie draftee again.  We haven't exactly been world beaters when it comes to drafting and developing rookie QBs so there's that to consider as well so we have a choice to make.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

That's my take on it as well.

Assuming we can get Dalton and extend him for a couple more years if Mitch ascends we can easily move on from Dalton with a younger less costly #2.  The reason for bringing in Dalton is as a hedge against just the opposite.  Not only does Mitch not ascend but he either plateaus or regressed even more.  Then he becomes toast and Dalton becomes #1 while we search for and draft another QB.

IMHO had Andy Dalton been starting for the Bears in 2019 we would have won more than 8 games.  Can he take us to and win a Super Bowl? Maybe not but can anyone envision that from Mitch right now?  Dalton is a significant upgrade from Chase Daniel and his presence would still not preclude the need for another younger QB in the pipeline to develop so we draft one but later on Day 3.

My belief is that by the end of year three teams know pretty much what they have in any given player and what his ceiling and floor as a pro are.  We can pretty much toss out Mitch's rookie year under Fox and call this his 3rd year in this offense.  If he can't grasp it and operate it efficiently by now then he's not the right guy for this team and this offense and we'll be very happy that we have a capable vet who can take over as opposed to going all the way back to square one with a rookie draftee again.  We haven't exactly been world beaters when it comes to drafting and developing rookie QBs so there's that to consider as well so we have a choice to make.

That makes sense.  It sounds like you and a lot of Bears fans have pretty much just resigned yourselves to the fact that Mitch is going to be given another year.  I agree that he is, but I have to say that I just don't see it happening with him.  It's kind of like Christian Ponder.  We gave him 30 games or so, but it was painfully obvious far earlier that he just wasn't going to get it.  Mitch seems like a good guy, and he probably has more to offer than Christian Ponder, but I'm convinced that he is not the future for the Bears.  On the plus side, I do think you are good enough to win A LOT of games with a quarterback who is only as good as Dalton.

The Bears have had terrible luck with the QB situation over the years.  Maybe that trend will reverse and you will hit on a guy you pick up in the late rounds of the draft.  You never know.  That does happen every once in a while.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That makes sense.  It sounds like you and a lot of Bears fans have pretty much just resigned yourselves to the fact that Mitch is going to be given another year.  I agree that he is, but I have to say that I just don't see it happening with him.  It's kind of like Christian Ponder.  We gave him 30 games or so, but it was painfully obvious far earlier that he just wasn't going to get it.  Mitch seems like a good guy, and he probably has more to offer than Christian Ponder, but I'm convinced that he is not the future for the Bears.  On the plus side, I do think you are good enough to win A LOT of games with a quarterback who is only as good as Dalton.

The Bears have had terrible luck with the QB situation over the years.  Maybe that trend will reverse and you will hit on a guy you pick up in the late rounds of the draft.  You never know.  That does happen every once in a while.

Given the market and a lack of a 1st round pick IMHO a GM and HC can only hide their intentions so much so I'm taking them at their word. Then add to that the fact that probably 50% of Bears fans want Mitch replaced now vs the other 50% who feel it's worth giving him one more shot provide we have a secure #2 who can not only sub but also has the goods to actually push him out of the #1 spot and the logic isn't hard to come by as far as who Pace and Nagy may have on their list.

The wild card of course is Brady and what he decides to do.  If he does decide to sign elsewhere it may look like a QBs Chinese Fire Drill for a week or two as team scramble to get their guy or just "a guy" who can fit their needs.  Some will win who they want and other will have to settle for second or even third choices.  This is why I believe that if it's Dalton they want Pace should be aggressive in trying to close a deal for him as soon as possible and avoid the March QB scramble.