Bears Reportedly Seeking Dalton

dll2000

14 minutes ago, soulman said:

Given the market and a lack of a 1st round pick IMHO a GM and HC can only hide their intentions so much so I'm taking them at their word. Then add to that the fact that probably 50% of Bears fans want Mitch replaced now vs the other 50% who feel it's worth giving him one more shot provide we have a secure #2 who can not only sub but also has the goods to actually push him out of the #1 spot and the logic isn't hard to come by as far as who Pace and Nagy may have on their list.

The wild card of course is Brady and what he decides to do.  If he does decide to sign elsewhere it may look like a QBs Chinese Fire Drill for a week or two as team scramble to get their guy or just "a guy" who can fit their needs.  Some will win who they want and other will have to settle for second or even third choices.  This is why I believe that if it's Dalton they want Pace should be aggressive in trying to close a deal for him as soon as possible and avoid the March QB scramble.

Nah I think the Bears should call the Bengals bluff and just wait to see what happens because if no other teams are serious about trading for him then they will likely just release him anyway.  Dalton is not that good of a player that you need to give up whatever you can at this moment in time in order to secure him in a trade.

After all, he is not the only option for the Bears.  I'm fine with them taking their time and not paying more than they need to.  Only make the trade if it makes sense in terms of what it will cost both draft pick compensation and salary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I'm thinking the same which is why if I was in Pace's shoes I would keep pressing the issue.  Dalton still has to fit from an affordability perspective but if we do discount Carr as a prospect then Dalton has to head the list based on Paces stated criteria.

If in combination Cincy and Dalton are willing to do what it would take to make any trade cap friendly for us within reason I would probably be willing to give up more in trade.  I know some think that's crazy and have their own ideas of what this would be worth but the reality of it all is if we want a specific player whose under contract the price may be a bit higher due to demand.

I keep hearing mid round pick which I'm gonna peg as a 4th or a 5th with an outside chance of a 3rd if it's a 2021 3rd and based on a sliding scale conditioned on how much Dalton plays.  The likelihood of drafting a 3rd or 4th round QB who would ever be as beneficial as Dalton may be for several years isn't all that likely. 

If Mitch fails we should probably be looking at spending a 1st or at least a 2nd on a rookie QB in 2021 and we're likely to need a guy like Dalton as the #1 'til whoever is ready to start.  How long will that take?  One year?  Two years?  So in my mind this is not a one year deal with Dalton and why as part of the deal we should be extending him which will also bring down his initial cap cost.

As long as Dalton has a say in this we have a selling job to do with him as well and hopefully this is where having Lazor as our OC helps. I can't help but thinking that Dalton being a target for us may have in part led to that decision.  So.....we'll see how it goes and now that the Combine is over I expect Pace and Laine to be quite busy with deals during the next couple of weeks.

FWIW Dalton may not want to be extended on a deal paying him backup money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW Dalton may not want to be extended on a deal paying him backup money. 

Ah.....but with incentives????   :D:D

Agreed, we're not getting him for even as little as $5-$6 mil per year like we did Daniel.  He's worth far more than that and if Mitch fails he'll start, earn the incentives, or we write a new deal and Mitch will be history so we won't have his salary on the books.  Depending on how much of his 2020 salary Cincy is willing to eat we may even want to delay an extension until his role is more defined.

I just put it out there because my feeling is that if he's playing under an extension he's gonna be starting, paid well, and Mitch will be history or he'll be signed as a backup for backup pay.

Edited by soulman

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

He could end up the starter in New England, for all we know. 

And that is a possibility as well or he could like Indy.  If Brady stays in NE (which I think is more likely than others do) I'd be somewhat worried about Indy where they're less committed to Brissett than we are to Mitch yet who has the stronger team and a shot for Dalton to maybe win a Super Bowl ring?  Lots of ingredients in this soup for sure which is why if we want him I'd make a big push for him now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Nah I think the Bears should call the Bengals bluff and just wait to see what happens because if no other teams are serious about trading for him then they will likely just release him anyway.  Dalton is not that good of a player that you need to give up whatever you can at this moment in time in order to secure him in a trade.

After all, he is not the only option for the Bears.  I'm fine with them taking their time and not paying more than they need to.  Only make the trade if it makes sense in terms of what it will cost both draft pick compensation and salary.

That may or may not work out to our benefit.  Once he becomes a UFA it's open season on QBs and he's plenty good enough to start somewhere.

Pace will of course do whatever he believes is best but in the past he's not hesitated to make a trade for a player he wants it's just that except for Mack it's usually been for a rookie draft pick.

I'm only forming my opinion around that and also because it's also the way I approach things.  If there is something very specific I want and only one of them I'll pay a little more to assure that I get it.  Sometimes we get too "cute" and an opportunity is lost.  But I can't claim that my way it the right way in this case.  It's "A" way to at least try to assure we get our guy and it would still have to be contingent on Cincy taking back a big chunk of his $17 mil plus salary.

What's better, we get him for say $10 mil and either a 5th or 6th round pick or a conditional 2021 pick, or we end up competing for him in FA which costs us nothing in the way of draft picks but he's being offered $18 mil a year deals as a starter somewhere?  I don't know that either is an accurate depiction of what could happen but it may not be altogether inaccurate either.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

And that is a possibility as well or he could like Indy.  If Brady stays in NE (which I think is more likely than others do) I'd be somewhat worried about Indy where they're less committed to Brissett than we are to Mitch yet who has the stronger team and a shot for Dalton to maybe win a Super Bowl ring?  Lots of ingredients in this soup for sure which is why if we want him I'd make a big push for him now.

It's all crazy. Even if Brady stays in NE--where does Rivers go? Are the Raiders moving on from Carr no matter what? What if the Redskins or the Lions draft Tua? 

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It's all crazy. Even if Brady stays in NE--where does Rivers go? Are the Raiders moving on from Carr no matter what? What if the Redskins or the Lions draft Tua? 

That's one reason why if I'm the GM and I was sold on a certain guy I'd be trying my damnedest to avoid the QB carousel but then we don't know if Pace has made his mind up or not.  Maybe he does want to roll the dice. 

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Rivers makes a ton of sense in Tampa. Not only did he move his entire family to FL but he's a perfect fit with Arians' offense (although his arm strength didn't look as strong by week 17 last year). 

Like you and only a few others, ultimately I think Brady stays in NE. I think LV keeps Carr but uses one of their 1's on Love or Herbert. 

Detroit loves Stafford it seems. I could see them taking a QB in round 2 or 3, but they'll take Okudah or Simmons at 3 (or trade down).

3 hours ago, soulman said:

That's one reason why if I'm the GM and I was sold on a certain guy I'd be trying my damnedest to avoid the QB carousel but then we don't know if Pace has made his mind up or not.  Maybe he does want to roll the dice. 

Or, maybe his guy is a guy he can’t avoid the carousel on (meaning Mariota or Keenum or Sudfeld). There’s no way these decisions aren’t well under way if not made by now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Or, maybe his guy is a guy he can’t avoid the carousel on (meaning Mariota or Keenum or Sudfeld). There’s no way these decisions aren’t well under way if not made by now. 

From what we know of Pace by now he has at the very least a Plan A and a Plan B and quite possibly a Plan C and D too.  If Dalton isn't his Plan A then he's doing his best to use it to disguise who Plan A is.  That's also a very "Pace like" thing to do.

When I say "roll the dice" I mean it in the same way he approaches the draft where he'll have more than one player he likes at a certain pick and he'd be happy with either.  It's when he has a very specific player in mind that he'll trade up and not risk losing him.

21 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Detroit loves Stafford it seems. I could see them taking a QB in round 2 or 3, but they'll take Okudah or Simmons at 3 (or trade down).

I think Detroit would be dumb to move on from Stafford right now. Unless there are concerns about his back, that is...

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I think Detroit would be dumb to move on from Stafford right now. Unless there are concerns about his back, that is...

I think Stafford would be dumb to not move on from Detroit.

He's taken a beating there and will probably never sniff a SB anytime soon so long as he's a member of that team.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think Stafford would be dumb to not move on from Detroit.

He's taken a beating there and will probably never sniff a SB anytime soon so long as he's a member of that team.

I just can’t see them eating $30M in dead cap to MAYBE have the chance to draft Tua at 3. He’s not a locker room problem like Antonio Brown. He’s like a 10-year captain. That coaching staff doesn’t have the clout to survive a Tank For Trevor season either. 

I think it’s FAR more likely if WSH takes Young at 2 they trade down to 5 or 6 and pick up a crap ton of picks this and next year and maybe still get Okudah or Simmons at 5 or 6 anyway. If WSH takes Tua they have very little trade out value unless someone wants to jump NYG for their OT of choice. That seems highly unlikely to me since there are 4 OTs projected in the top 10.