Bradford Injury Dilemma

gopherwrestler

37 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Unless we sign someone else for a comparable contract.

And, I believe, someone from outside the organization. Meaning, if Bradford signed with Jacksonville for $10M+, and the Vikings sign Barr and Bridgewater, each, for $10M+, those contract don’t cancel each other out. 

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

A 3rd is the highest a team can get, but I doubt that we’d get one that high. Age is also a factor in the process, so I think, at most, we’d get a 4th round come pick. 

We are short a 4th and a 7th this year, so if we can get a 4th for Bradford and a 7th for Michael Floyd or Sharrif Floyd or someone, that would be perfect!

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

We are short a 4th and a 7th this year, so if we can get a 4th for Bradford and a 7th for Michael Floyd or Sharrif Floyd or someone, that would be perfect!

The comp picks for 2018 free agents wouldn't be received until the 2019 draft. 

But is it worth not being active in free agency to acquire an extra third or fourth? 

Floyd won't get a big contract given his health concerns. 

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

With the players that the Vikings need to re-sign or extend currently on the roster, I wouldn’t expect this team to be active early in the free agency market.

if anything, we'll just replenish some depth. no need to be crazy this year in FA.

it would be ideal though to have Bridgewater be the long term answer and see Bradford be healthy enough to sign a nice contract elsewhere.

is there a target date for Bradford to be practicing again?

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

With the players that the Vikings need to re-sign or extend currently on the roster, I wouldn’t expect this team to be active early in the free agency market.

I agree. I think we will be at $40M in cap space. Half of that will likely go towards the QB position, I'd like to think Teddy and Keenum would be in the 2018 plans.

MN could cut Murray and Wright and get another $8M in cap space. Barr is at a $12M cap hit in 2018 I believe, might be able to get that down with a new contract.

Diggs and Kendricks are bargains now but will need a new contract. Same goes for Hunter.

it will be hard justifying a Reiff type FA splash but maybe they can add another Remmers.

I think the Vikes are lucky in that they have two pretty solid QBs and a back-up that's winning games for the 2017 season -- and I hope between the three of them they help earn each other a SB ring!

However, I'm not so sure some of Bradford's pain isn't from talking behind closed doors.  On the surface in public, he says the right things, but if someone muttered something that he really doesn't like, then it's possible the pain became unbearable . . . and that $18M or whatever, is really nice for injury pay while recuperating and preparing to move on.

I really would like to believe that front offices and players don't engage in shenanigans like that, but it happens.  Bradford played superbly well last year, and he has that on his resume'.  If he went out and played well for 10 weeks this year, had one bad game and got benched for Teddy . . . what do you think his chances for big paydays would be next year?

On the flip, who knows if Teddy can endure?  It'd be awesome if the Vikes could pay them each $10M and keep them both on the roster . . . lol.  In the end, there can be only one, and right now, it's looking like Teddy's coming back and Bradford's going to be hobbled for a while, like until he dons a new uni next year.

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree. I think we will be at $40M in cap space. Half of that will likely go towards the QB position, I'd like to think Teddy and Keenum would be in the 2018 plans.

MN could cut Murray and Wright and get another $8M in cap space. Barr is at a $12M cap hit in 2018 I believe, might be able to get that down with a new contract.

Diggs and Kendricks are bargains now but will need a new contract. Same goes for Hunter.

it will be hard justifying a Reiff type FA splash but maybe they can add another Remmers.

Reiff is starting to look like a steal.  Does anyone think he might have a shot at the Pro Bowl?

Archived