Bradford Injury Dilemma

gopherwrestler

No one knows who will be 'better' now between TB and SB.  Anyone who says so is basing it on nothing substantive.  TB hasn't played for two years and SB may not be completely mobile.

But one could more realistically assume both TB and SB would be a 'better' backup than Sloter. 

If released, Sloter could return to the PS if no team claimed him.  Is ANY fan worried more about protecting Sloter from being signed by another team than having two, not one, quality backup QBs .... when both have a significant amount of uncertainty surrounding them now?

A QB is often in a vulnerable position.  Think about it.  Zimmer certainly will.

5 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

No one knows who will be 'better' now between TB and SB.  Anyone who says so is basing it on nothing substantive.  TB hasn't played for two years and SB may not be completely mobile.

But one could more realistically assume both TB and SB would be a 'better backup than Sloter. 

If released, Sloter means could return to the PS if no team claimed him.  Is ANY fan worried more about protecting Sloter from being signed by another team than having two, not one, quality backup QBs .... when both have a significant amount of uncertainty surrounding them now?

A QB is often in a vulnerable position.  Think about it.  Zimmer certainly will.

They have GOT to have all 3 starting QBs available during the playoffs.  If Keenum gets hurt, ONE play using either Teddy or Bradford could put them out for the rest of The Playoffs.  After seeing Ponder fail against good defences, I don't want to see Sloter try to move this team down the field.

1 minute ago, Robb_K said:

They have GOt to have all 3 starting QBs available during the playoffs.  If Keenum gets hurt, ONE play using either Teddy or Bradford could put them out for the rest of The Playoffs.  After seeing Ponder fail against good defences, I don't want to see Sloter try to move this team down the field.

I think two will be active for each playoff game.  Three may be active IF practice sessions by TB and SB don't instill much confidence in either by Shurmur & Zimmer.

I don't think two injuries to two QBs will happen.  But, one could stink it up and another could get injured.  If two were injured (a remote possibility, but possible, nevertheless), the only option left would be Jet at QB for the rest of that particular playoff game.

The Vikings already made a point of keeping Sloter protected on the roster and I’d assume they will still prefer that. So you’re attempting to balance how much you want to keep Sloter on the roster vs the unlikely possibility of going through 3 QB’s in one game. Either move could look stupid in hindsight.

don't think two injuries to two QBs will happen.  But, one could stink it up and another could get injured.  If two were injured (a remote possibility, but possible, nevertheless), the only option left would be Jet at QB for the rest of that particular playoff game.

You would still have the emergency QB if two got hurt. Either Sloter or whoever. The emergency QB doesn’t need to be “active”.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

If Sam Bradford is deemed fully healthy, and has 3 wks of practice, he could very well be QB2 for NFC championship game

He was deemed fully healthy before the first Bears game.

anyone claiming to be worried about Bridgewater being susceptible to reinjury and then suggesting that Bradford could/should be the primary backup, is a hypocrite. Bradford hasn’t practiced, and in his last game action was unable to protect himself  as a player.

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

You would still have the emergency QB if two got hurt. Either Sloter or whoever. The emergency QB doesn’t need to be “active”.

I believe that rule has been changed. No emergency QB slot during a game. In order to play, has to be active.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

anyone claiming to be worried about Bridgewater being susceptible to reinjury and then suggesting that Bradford could/should be the primary backup, is a hypocrite. Bradford hasn’t practiced, and in his last game action was unable to protect himself  as a player.

I’m assuming CM is advocating Bradford as backup because he thinks he’s a better QB. 

As far as Bradford being deemed healthy, I’m sure the standard for that has been adjusted.

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

If released, Sloter could return to the PS if no team claimed him.  Is ANY fan worried more about protecting Sloter from being signed by another team than having two, not one, quality backup QBs .... when both have a significant amount of uncertainty surrounding them now?

Sloter was a hot commodity when we signed him, and QB's always are a commodity. We threw money at him for a reason. Knowing that our 3 top QB's are all free agents next year, and it's a realistic possibility that only one will return. Sloter has shown enough potential that the team probably wants to retain and develop him to be a possible primary backup or future option down the road. Having 3 quality QB's on a team is a situation that is beyond rare, but we still have to keep our eyes on the future as well. Sloter going to the practice squad doesn't mean he is protected because any team can sign him to an active roster. I don't see Sloter moving to make room for Bradford, though I can see a scenario where Bradford is signed and another player could be dropped or placed on IR (yea, I'm looking at the longsnappers).

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

The whole "susceptible to injury" argument is more in regards to signing a long-term deal. Most likely 3 playoff games, thinking about 2018 dosen't matter, is all about 2017. 

If coaching staff think Bradford has a higher ceiling then Teddy for the final 2 games, it's pretty obvious that Bradford would be at least activated on game day, and chance to be first backup. 

That wouldn't make the coaching staff & organization "hypocrites" as much as you'd like, unfortunately since their focus is on a SB.

Good try though..

6 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Sloter was a hot commodity when we signed him, and QB's always are a commodity. We threw money at him for a reason. Knowing that our 3 top QB's are all free agents next year, and it's a realistic possibility that only one will return. Sloter has shown enough potential that the team probably wants to retain and develop him to be a possible primary backup or future option down the road. Having 3 quality QB's on a team is a situation that is beyond rare, but we still have to keep our eyes on the future as well. Sloter going to the practice squad doesn't mean he is protected because any team can sign him to an active roster. I don't see Sloter moving to make room for Bradford, though I can see a scenario where Bradford is signed and another player could be dropped or placed on IR (yea, I'm looking at the longsnappers).

If QBs are always a hot commodity, and Sloter was a hot commodity, that simply implies he is a typical QB.  There are plenty of QBs on the free agent market, and PSs, to pick and choose from in the off season.  But there may only be one opportunity for MN to advance to and win a SB.  The reliability of ALL THREE of CK, SB, and TB is in question for one or more reasons.  Some are more reliable than others, and their current abilities are only completely known to the coaches and physicians.  To say otherwise isn't being honest, and may indicate an unfounded bias. 

Three QBs; CK, TB, and SB, on the regular roster, with one inactive for each playoff game decided by the coaches after viewing them practice, is a distinct possibility, with Sloter being waived, then possibly re-signed to the PS.  QBs are a hot commodity, and a few would be available in free agency, or the 2018 draft,  to replace Sloter should he be signed away to an active roster by another team.

8 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Any QB could be re-injured.  What medical info, protected by HIPPA laws, do you have on TB, SB that others don't have?  Care to share?  If not, send it to one of the alphabet soup networks anonymously.  Once it is published, we will be able to avoid being labeled 'hypocrites'.   I'll simply refrain from speculating on their health and abilities, and let the coaches and trainers deal with that matter.

Finally, SB's 'last game action' provides good insight into his ability at that time.  Now, compare the 'last game action' of all 4 QBs on the roster for some valuable insight.  Well, on second thought, let me withdraw the adjective 'valuable'.

6 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

The whole "susceptible to injury" argument is more in regards to signing a long-term deal. Most likely 3 playoff games, thinking about 2018 dosen't matter, is all about 2017. 

If coaching staff think Bradford has a higher ceiling then Teddy for the final 2 games, it's pretty obvious that Bradford would be at least activated on game day, and chance to be first backup. 

That wouldn't make the coaching staff & organization "hypocrites" as much as you'd like, unfortunately since their focus is on a SB.

Good try though..

I’d like the coaching staff and organization to be hypocrites... riiiiight.

The re injury issue was one of the immediate arguments made against starting Bridgewater this year when he was activated. That has nothing to do with a long term deal.

We know Bridgewater’s health is not in question. Zimmer has said this on multiple occasions. Bradford is now coming back from in season surgery, and the last time he saw the field he was incapable of protecting himself.

It’s ok to say that you don’t like Bridgewater. You don’t have to. It would make these conversations way easier instead of trying to cook up scenarios with players coming off of IR or contracts at the end of the year. 

Archived