Every throw graded: Ultimate scouting report of Browns' Baker Mayfield

buno67

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/every_throw_graded_ultimate_scouting_report_of_browns_baker_mayfield/s1_13132_31410824

Article written by Michael Nania. He is a Jets sports writer, so you could say he brings a very unbiased POV. He has done this for Josh Allen, Brady, Mahomes, Jimmy G, and others. 

Very solid article  I encourage you to read it but I just wanted to share How he approached watching Baker and his final thoughts/conclusion on Baker

———————————————

“Because Mayfield had such a drastic production decline from Year 1 to Year 2, I was curious to find out if factors outside his control affected his play. Or was Mayfield simply not very good? So I watched the All-22 angles of every play from Mayfield’s 2019 season, grading each one (excluding hand-offs, of course) to gauge his true overall performance level. By taking into account drops, pressure, throw difficulty, ball placement, down/distance, game situation and decision-making (did the quarterback choose the best option available?), we can get a better evaluation of a quarterback’s true performance than from just a box score. 

I scored each one of Mayfield’s plays on a 0-to-10 scale. An average play (screen passes, throwaways) earned a 5, a brutal play (awful turnovers or should-be turnovers) earned a 0, and the perfect play (flawlessly placed throws into tight windows under heavy pressure) warranted a 10. Most plays fall somewhere in the middle, with “plus” efforts scoring above 5 and “minus” efforts below. Each game’s final score was scaled from 0-100, with 50 being average.”

“What are Mayfield’s greatest strengths? 

After digging through Mayfield’s 2019 season, I am bullish on his potential. He should continue on the path he set for himself in 2018, and become a top-10 quarterback with MVP potential.

Mayfield knows how to manage his position effectively. Inside of the pocket, he has a good sense of the rush and is willing to step up and deliver under pressure. When things break down, he will get out on the move and make big plays when mobile.

From a football IQ standpoint, Mayfield has what it takes to be successful. He rarely misses an open read. Additionally, he is outstanding at manipulating defenders. He uses the pump fake as well as anybody and will hold defenders with his eyes to open windows.

Mayfield can improve on the simple underneath throws and intermediate throws over the middle, but he makes the difficult throws as well as anybody. He shows off his arm on deep passes when he's on the move.

Mayfield has exceptional ability to anticipate where the ball should be located and drop it on the target. He has the accuracy to improvise and execute a back-shoulder throw. When on the move, Mayfield consistently hits targets that are breaking toward the sideline under tight coverage. This is also where his pump-fake becomes deadly.

So tone down the Baker-bashing. When one looks beyond the numbers and examines the film, we find the same QB who had a terrific rookie season”

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I have no doubt about bakers potential.

I have concerns about him off the field. 

Is he going out and doing drugs or getting smashed? No...So what’s the concern. I highly doubt getting rumored BJs in the parking lot of cheese cake factory hurt his ability to perform on the field. Hell Big Ben was raping women. Early on in his career. Big difference is early on Pittsburgh tried to put their QB in the best possible situation to succeed. Freddie wasn’t doing that at all last year. Let’s see what Stef and AVP are going to do 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Is he going out and doing drugs or getting smashed? No...So what’s the concern. I highly doubt getting rumored BJs in the parking lot of cheese cake factory hurt his ability to perform on the field. Hell Big Ben was raping women. Early on in his career. Big difference is early on Pittsburgh tried to put their QB in the best possible situation to succeed. Freddie wasn’t doing that at all last year. Let’s see what Stef and AVP are going to do 

The same action doesnt cause the same truama to each person. If big bens marraigr falls a part, maybe he doesnt care, or if rapes a women, it might jot be a problem to him. 

We dont know how Baker will respond if he been committing infidelity. Thinking about it he had to overcome a lot to get to the nfl, so he will probs be fine, however, we dont know. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I have no doubt about bakers potential.

I have concerns about him off the field. 

He's gonna stay out of trouble. We're all set there. He will be the greatest Cleveland QB in history, by a mile.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2

This "crown jewel" is telling of this guy's analysis. Pretty sure Baker threw to the most difficult option possible here and just got bailed out by a phenomenal catch. This play isn't busted. It's a screen and you expect pressure. On his right Hunt could've walked the last 5 yds in. And Chubb is also open on the left flat with blocking.

Baker's worst play of the year by far was the shovel pass interception. By far. It demonstrated his biggest issues his 2nd season... predetermining his throws and throwing picks.

On the int gifs....it's the decision making that should stand on those, not that Landry avoids obvious traffic or Ratley can't uncover or Njoko shockingly can't make a tough grab. Landry is helplessly covered there. Ratley ain't the guy on 4th down....and Njoko clearly isn't the one for the tough grab in traffic.

"Did Kitchens hold Mayfield back"? is an awful take considering it was Freddie who's offense Mayfield excelled in as a rookie.

Imho... Baker wasn't entirely different his rookie season. He still wasn't reading defenses or sliding quickly through his progressions. He was just ripping passes to who he figured pre snap was open or saw post snap open. Defenses just weren't shading very much to one guy or another like they were this past year. He didn't need to make as many 2nd and 3rd read throws as a rookie.

Edited by BrownLeader
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

This "crown jewel" is telling of this guy's analysis. Pretty sure Baker threw to the most difficult option possible here and just got bailed out by a phenomenal catch. This play isn't busted. It's a screen and you expect pressure. On his right Hunt could've walked the last 5 yds in. And Chubb is also open on the left flat with blocking.

This.

He never looked elsewhere.

He is a not even a one-read...he is an only read.

He should have seen Hunt immediately.

Edited by bruceb
Related thought

Gosh. I sure hope as much as anyone that he fulfills his potential. I was tickled pink by his rookie year and had hopes he’d take a big step forward last year. It wasn’t there though. He was bad last year, there is no way around it. Many areas of his game. He can absolutely still be a great quarterback. But if this guy didn’t see serious regression, I’m not sure what to say. His progressions, decision-making, blitz recognition, bailing to his right, and general accuracy all showed up much of the year as fatal flaws. These all can be improved, no question. He can still be a franchise QB, he’s just finished year 2. But it will not happen without him putting in the extra work and improving in many areas of his game. I hope we see a very different QB next season. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Gosh. I sure hope as much as anyone that he fulfills his potential. I was tickled pink by his rookie year and had hopes he’d take a big step forward last year. It wasn’t there though. He was bad last year, there is no way around it. Many areas of his game. He can absolutely still be a great quarterback. But if this guy didn’t see serious regression, I’m not sure what to say. His progressions, decision-making, blitz recognition, bailing to his right, and general accuracy all showed up much of the year as fatal flaws. These all can be improved, no question. He can still be a franchise QB, he’s just finished year 2. But it will not happen without him putting in the extra work and improving in many areas of his game. I hope we see a very different QB next season. 

He can certainly improve but we don't need to see a different QB we need to see the QB put in a position to do the things he does well.

But yeah, it always comes back to him not working hard enough for some reason. You know everyone would be reporting that heavily if there was any indication that was true right? It's probably why he and OBJ didn't click, he probably didn't work hard enough with him at the voluntary OTAs.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Graham

"Graham is regarded by critics as one of the most dominant players of his era, having taken the Browns to league championship games every year between 1946 and 1955, winning seven of them."

No comparison.

Stop being dishonest, bruce. You know what you're doing.

Edited by NudeTayne
How many teams were in the AFL?...*breadcrumb*...Funny, Graham only won three Super Bowls...no mention of that, just "seven championship games"...*breadcrumb*...