Bernstien: Fox will be fired

WindyCity

Keep in mind that the Bears aren't locked into staying 3-4. 3-4 is purely semantical. They're already playing a lot of over/under fronts and Bear fronts that put four or five guys on the line.

To much is made of the 3-4/4-3 thing. This isn't a 3-4 with massive linemen and thumper linebackers. The front seven right now is good and diverse enough to line up in just about any front.

Am I the only guy here who is not overly excited about a potential Sean Payton hiring? Payton's Saints have been 7-9 three years in a row even with a lock first ballot HOF QB in toe playing at a high level. That doesn't trouble anyone else? If the Saints still crushing it under Payton like from 2009-2013 then he wouldn't be available at all.

I don't know that I'd say Payton developed Brees either - NO signed him as a FA after he was already a pro bowler. One could very easily argue that Brees' spike in yardage in NO under Payton is best explained by sheer volume more than continued growth. Brees never threw more than 526 passes in any one season in SD. I'm 11 full seasons in NO he has thrown fewer than 626 passes in any one season just twice, and not at all since 2009 when NO won the SB. Only once since 2009 has Brees been under 650 attempts was (2015, 627 attempts), and that was only because he missed a game to injury. 

None of that is really exciting to me. 

Azzie, you are definitely NOT alone in that.  He's had one of the best QB's of our generation and still only managed one super bowl appearance. I have seen some highly Foxian calls from him in game as well.

Trestman kinda soured me on outside-the-box things for an HC, and Fox has given retreads a bad name, so I'm really not sure what the answer is.  Seems like the risky but rewarding play would be a hot OC or similar.  Someone on here mentioned Toub who I always liked back in the day.

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Am I the only guy here who is not overly excited about a potential Sean Payton hiring? Payton's Saints have been 7-9 three years in a row even with a lock first ballot HOF QB in toe playing at a high level. That doesn't trouble anyone else? If the Saints still crushing it under Payton like from 2009-2013 then he wouldn't be available at all.

I don't know that I'd say Payton developed Brees either - NO signed him as a FA after he was already a pro bowler. One could very easily argue that Brees' spike in yardage in NO under Payton is best explained by sheer volume more than continued growth. Brees never threw more than 526 passes in any one season in SD. I'm 11 full seasons in NO he has thrown fewer than 626 passes in any one season just twice, and not at all since 2009 when NO won the SB. Only once since 2009 has Brees been under 650 attempts was (2015, 627 attempts), and that was only because he missed a game to injury. 

I'm not a huge fan if this idea either, mainly because Payton's defensive units have been mostly awful outside of the Super Bowl year where they had the bounty gate scandal.

I think he's a bit overrated and I've also heard that players don't really seem to get along with him.  If the Bears can Fox I would prefer that they get some one who's new and innovative, not just another retread.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Payton would be a golf clap hire for me, way better than Fox, but it seems he has lost his juice.

Hire our version of McVay or Shannahan. A young innovator that can grow with the QB and who will accept defensive help.

Hopefully we hire a coach that nobody really knows about like a Mike Tomlin who is adaptable. Big names don't really impress me anymore.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

As far as losing records, that is by and far the defense's fault IMO. 

Defensive PPG rankings thos last 3 years.

2016 - 31st

2015 - 32nd

2014 - 28th

To me Pace would have to be the head of the team, Payton worries about the offense and Pace gets someone to take care of the defense. I don't even want Payton hiring a DC. 

The fact they have been able to even sniff 500 is impressive. I agree it is too pass happy of an offense, but he has undoubtedly played better in NO. TD% is up, INT % has only hit 3% once since in NO (compared to 3 of 4 years of starting being over that in SD). his career completion percentage is better than at any point in SD even though teams know good and well that he will be airing it out constantly. To me that is partially due to solid gameplanning and orchestration by the offense, showing they are well coached. As long as the team is putting up points I am not too concerned about how many passes are thrown. 

Offensive PPG for the Saints

2016 - 2nd

2015 - 6th

2014 - 10th

2013 - 11th

2012 - 3rd

2011 - 1st

The question is, how much could he carry over from this? Counting on Trubisky to be as elite as Brees sounds like a lot of heartache is likely. But even in their "down" year they were right at the end of the top third. That with a competent defense should allow you to at least challenge for the NFC North year an and year out. 

McDaniels is still my pick since I think Harbaugh is a pipe dream, but I think the Payton signing could be exciting. I wouldn't shy away from a number of guys though, and historically we rarely sign retreads for the Bears to coach. 

7 hours ago, G08 said:

You all see what Sean McVay is doing up in LA? He's got Jared Goff playing like a freaking Pro Bowler!

Gurley seems rejuvenated and this is the best I have seen Watkins play (especially after the catch) since college. McVay is doing a stellar job so far. 

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

As far as losing records, that is by and far the defense's fault IMO. 

Defensive PPG rankings thos last 3 years.

2016 - 31st

2015 - 32nd

2014 - 28th

To me Pace would have to be the head of the team, Payton worries about the offense and Pace gets someone to take care of the defense. I don't even want Payton hiring a DC. 

The fact they have been able to even sniff 500 is impressive. I agree it is too pass happy of an offense, but he has undoubtedly played better in NO. TD% is up, INT % has only hit 3% once since in NO (compared to 3 of 4 years of starting being over that in SD). his career completion percentage is better than at any point in SD even though teams know good and well that he will be airing it out constantly. To me that is partially due to solid gameplanning and orchestration by the offense, showing they are well coached. As long as the team is putting up points I am not too concerned about how many passes are thrown. 

Offensive PPG for the Saints

2016 - 2nd

2015 - 6th

2014 - 10th

2013 - 11th

2012 - 3rd

2011 - 1st

The question is, how much could he carry over from this? Counting on Trubisky to be as elite as Brees sounds like a lot of heartache is likely. But even in their "down" year they were right at the end of the top third. That with a competent defense should allow you to at least challenge for the NFC North year an and year out. 

McDaniels is still my pick since I think Harbaugh is a pipe dream, but I think the Payton signing could be exciting. I wouldn't shy away from a number of guys though, and historically we rarely sign retreads for the Bears to coach. 

You are 100% right on with pointing at their defense, but ultimately that falls upon Payton. He's basically the extreme opposite of Lovie Smith in that regard. Average results with a great team on one side of the ball but highly underwhelming on the other. We ran that guy out of town 4 years ago. 

Im also on the McDaniels train, and think Harbaugh is a pipe dream. Cooter doesn't really do anything for me. The coach. Cooter the coach. You know what I mean. ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You are 100% right on with pointing at their defense, but ultimately that falls upon Payton. He's basically the extreme opposite of Lovie Smith in that regard. Average results with a great team on one side of the ball but highly underwhelming on the other. We ran that guy out of town 4 years ago. 

Im also on the McDaniels train, and think Harbaugh is a pipe dream. Cooter doesn't really do anything for me. The coach. Cooter the coach. You know what I mean. ?‍♂️

Well played. lol

That would be a major stipulation for me. He owns the offense and is the HC, but stays the hell out of the defense's business. I would go as far as to "overpay" someone like Bowles as a DC/Ast Head Coach.

Honestly I would be on the same train of thought for McDaniels too. Basically any non-Harbaugh coach I would endorse that to attract a top flight DC. Eventually they are likely to move on, but if they can establish that tradition of solid play and turnovers then that would ease the transition for the next DC and surely help the offensive coach focus on the offense and Trubisky.

Basically I want a defensive Tom Moore I guess. lol

Archived