2001-2008 Yankees: Why did they fail to win American League pennants and World Series championships?

Championshiporbust

12 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I separate the them. The signing of Giambi signified the FA era for the Yanks. Few years later our rotation was full of FA busts like Vazquez, Brown, Contreras, Johnson etc. 

Giambi lived up to his contract but they almost went after Bonds that offseason.  He would've broke the record a lot sooner in that park but he didn't want the NY media environment.

http://a.espncdn.com/mlb/columns/klapisch_bob/1279166.html

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Giambi lived up to his contract but they almost went after Bonds that offseason.  He would've broke the record a lot sooner in that park but he didn't want the NY media environment.

They should've gone after Bonds after '05.  He'd still be winning MVPs with the short porch and DH.

4 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

I was a big fan of Giambi. I'm just saying his signing was the beginning of the FA splurge for me.

20 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Oh I also remember from 2006 Bostom Massacre II when Damon swept the Sox in a pivotal 5 game series.

I was at the fifth game. Truly a massacre of a series.

I think the Yankees' biggest downfall (a dramatic word for an 8 year period without a championship for a franchise that won five in a fourteen year span) in 2001-2008 was an over-reliance on older players. Five players in the starting lineup on the 2005 team were 33 years of age or older. Three more in the rotation. Time passed them by. It was only when they added 28, 29, and 32 year old free agents (Sabathia, Teixeira, Burnett, respectively) to a burgeoning core (Cano, Melky Cabrera, Nick Swisher) of mid/late 20s players that they won. The 2009 team had a balance that most of the 2001-2008 teams didn't have.

1 hour ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Wonder what would have happened if they had signed Beltran when he wanted to be a Yankee

Who wants a 28 year old, 5 tool CFer coming off a legendary playoff run when you have a geriatric Bernie Williams instead?

Much rather trade assets for a 41 year old starter!

5 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I was a big fan of Giambi. I'm just saying his signing was the beginning of the FA splurge for me.

Moose was in 2001

Even tho they weren't free agents, the Yanks started to feel like that team of evil mercenaries when they got Clemens.

Also while Giambi was always a great hitter it's hard to act as if he lived up to expectations as a Yankee.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:10 PM, playmaker8267 said:

I was at the fifth game. Truly a massacre of a series.

I think the Yankees' biggest downfall (a dramatic word for an 8 year period without a championship for a franchise that won five in a fourteen year span) in 2001-2008 was an over-reliance on older players. Five players in the starting lineup on the 2005 team were 33 years of age or older. Three more in the rotation. Time passed them by. It was only when they added 28, 29, and 32 year old free agents (Sabathia, Teixeira, Burnett, respectively) to a burgeoning core (Cano, Melky Cabrera, Nick Swisher) of mid/late 20s players that they won. The 2009 team had a balance that most of the 2001-2008 teams didn't have.

That was 11 years ago? Wow seems like just a few years ago. That was the best series I've ever seen the Yankees play. Incredible.

On 9/18/2017 at 9:16 PM, mission27 said:

The 2005 team had ARod, Jeter, Sheffield, Cano, Giambi, Posada, Matsui, Bernie, and Tino in the lineup.  Absurd.  Randy Johnson, Wang, and Mussina was a solid 1-3.  Tom Gordon and Mo.  That was a great team tbh.

Pretty crazy that the 05 Angels beat that team tbh

On 9/19/2017 at 12:30 AM, redsoxsuck05 said:

I think their 97 team illustrates your point as well.

They were arguably better than the 96 WS team but while that team had Jeffrey Maier and that miracle 6-0 comeback, 97 had Sandy Alomar.

Heck no one even remembers how mediocre the Indians were that year (and that was the the random year Lofton was on the Braves). The Marlins actually had the better team.

that Indians team has a damn good offense but had a pretty horrible pitching staff. If some of those rumored trades for pitchers that have come out about the Indians between '97 and '99 those Indians team could of maybe won a title. That pitching staff for Cleveland held them back. You look at that offense, that Indians team should of finished with a better run differential than 53 runs. Being in the playoffs was better for them because they could condense that bad rotation. To  me thats why they were able to beat the  better  teams in NYY and Balt 

Archived