Packers to release TE Jimmy Graham

{Family Ghost}

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do you guys think the Pack go after Hooper or Henry, or is Sternberger the main guy now?

I think Henry is going to be franchised.  And if he's not...he's gonna be way too expensive.

Hooper?  I feel like the club is interested in him.  I am not.  He's a good TE, but I feel like Sternberger is quicker and better than him with his upside.

I hope they roll out Sternberger as their receiving TE.  Tonyan as their all around tight end and bring back Lewis as the blocking TE.

I'm just gun shy about spending more free agent dollars on a tight end.  Sternberger showed me enough in limited action last year.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think Henry is going to be franchised.  And if he's not...he's gonna be way too expensive.

Hooper?  I feel like the club is interested in him.  I am not.  He's a good TE, but I feel like Sternberger is quicker and better than him with his upside.

I hope they roll out Sternberger as their receiving TE.  Tonyan as their all around tight end and bring back Lewis as the blocking TE.

I'm just gun shy about spending more free agent dollars on a tight end.  Sternberger showed me enough in limited action last year.

I'm up in the air on Hooper .. like the production and his age, but the money to sign him will be steep.  I still think the Packers need to add an established target this offseason, so if Gute thinks Hooper can make a difference I'm in.  The cap will keep rising and TE's will keep making more money.  It's one of those deals where it looks bad in year one, but better in future years.  At least he should still have legs that work, unlike the last two free agent TE's we inked.

It just concerns me how people are happy to get rid of Graham and his contract and yet simultaneously anxious to get another bad contract at TE.

Improve the more important positions.  Give Jace a chance.  Have Lewis there in case Jace sucks. 

When you miss on a position for 8 straight years, maybe it's time to reevaluate how much you invest in the position and who you invest in. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

It just concerns me how people are happy to get rid of Graham and his contract and yet simultaneously anxious to get another bad contract at TE.

Improve the more important positions.  Give Jace a chance.  Have Lewis there in case Jace sucks. 

When you miss on a position for 8 straight years, maybe it's time to reevaluate how much you invest in the position and who you invest in. 

I think this premise is mostly right, except I think that the position is really important for MLF's scheme to be successful.

At the same time, I don't think Rodgers makes TEs very valuable.  So, it's conflicting forces there.

Makes it really hard to evaluate what to do when you have a coach who is probably pounding on the table for talent at TE.

I don't see Lewis as a real option to be successful in a full time role.  Jace is the only possible solution in-house.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I think this premise is mostly right, except I think that the position is really important for MLF's scheme to be successful.

At the same time, I don't think Rodgers makes TEs very valuable.  So, it's conflicting forces there.

Makes it really hard to evaluate what to do when you have a coach who is probably pounding on the table for talent at TE.

I don't see Lewis as a real option to be successful in a full time role.  Jace is the only possible solution in-house.

I'm a little nervous to trust in Jace .. I think he has a lot of talent, but also has very little experience.  He probably isn't ready for a role as a true #1 TE.  Lewis is not a good receiving threat, and Bob Tonyan is just a guy. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm a little nervous to trust in Jace .. I think he has a lot of talent, but also has very little experience.  He probably isn't ready for a role as a true #1 TE.  Lewis is not a good receiving threat, and Bob Tonyan is just a guy. 

I think they can do a lot better in FA than a middle of the road player at a non-critical position.  I don't think Hooper is a bad player, but I don't see how he'll have a big enough impact to spend a good amount of money on him.  I just don't see any reason why we can't get by at TE with what we have.  Spend the FA money on DL and OT, which are both hugely important.  Our TE play isn't what lost us the NFCCG, and even if we had George Kittle or a prime Tony Gonzalez at TE we still would have gotten steamrolled.  Plug in a solid (i.e. NOT Lowry or Lancaster) DL or two next to Clark and I bet the story changes.  We're always going to have holes somewhere, and I'd personally much rather have one of those holes be at TE than DL or OT.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I think they can do a lot better in FA than a middle of the road player at a non-critical position.  I don't think Hooper is a bad player, but I don't see how he'll have a big enough impact to spend a good amount of money on him.  I just don't see any reason why we can't get by at TE with what we have.  Spend the FA money on DL and OT, which are both hugely important.  Our TE play isn't what lost us the NFCCG, and even if we had George Kittle or a prime Tony Gonzalez at TE we still would have gotten steamrolled.  Plug in a solid (i.e. NOT Lowry or Lancaster) DL or two next to Clark and I bet the story changes.  We're always going to have holes somewhere, and I'd personally much rather have one of those holes be at TE than DL or OT.

It's like Adrian Amos .. we needed a safety pretty badly and overspent to get one.  He's no star .. never was a star, but he's solid and fills a role.  The studs like prime Gonzalez and Kittle will never get to the free agent market, so guys like Hooper are about as good as you can get.  We need a TE  in my opinion and he's a good one.  We need run stuffers in free agency, and then probably a top Dline prospect in the draft.  Signing Hooper shouldn't preclude us from adding to the Dline.

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's like Adrian Amos .. we needed a safety pretty badly and overspent to get one.  He's no star .. never was a star, but he's solid and fills a role.  The studs like prime Gonzalez and Kittle will never get to the free agent market, so guys like Hooper are about as good as you can get.  We need a TE  in my opinion and he's a good one.  We need run stuffers in free agency, and then probably a top Dline prospect in the draft.  Signing Hooper shouldn't preclude us from adding to the Dline.

I do think Amos is a better player and will be a better value than Hooper.

Still, the point made is a valid one.  Personally I'd prefer to add at WR2 rather than TE.  Rodgers clicks better with WRs.

• Like 2

Personally, I don’t see the Packers paying Hooper, and he sure seems like a player on which they’d like to drive up the price, especially since chicago is also likely to be shopping for a Tight End.    ( - ; #

I think Sternberger will have every opportunity to be the starter, and will continue to develop under the tutelage of Big Dog Lewis. Of course Tonyan still lingers, along with Evan Bayliss, who I still think could find a role on the team. That written, this could be evidence of my “Oregonian Transplantism.” Green Bay also hasn’t quite given up on James Looney, who as I recall was an athletic prospect for a guy who is pushing 290 pounds. It will be interesting to see how that experiment goes.

Granted, after Lewis and hopefully Sternberger, there doesn’t appear to be much promise. But we’re talking about your third Tight End.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

This GM invested a 3 on Sternberger. If we don’t believe in him, invest in the position at any point. If you stand behind that pick, then go elsewhere.

• Like 1

Jace Sternberger had only one year of production in college and during his rookie year as a Packer, he played in 6 games and started only 1.  He has only had 3 receptions and played more as an H back than a TE.  Our offense depends on tight ends and while I like Jace's upside, I wouldn't want to bet the season on someone so limited in experience at a position that usually requires several years to develop.  I'm not fond of what I'm hearing on the expected price tag for Hooper is, but there really aren't starter level players in the draft and the only real option in FA just walked out the door.