? Week Three - Bucs (1-0) @ Vikings (1-1)

bucsfan333

Let this sink in for a moment. We let a below average offensive line dominate us in both pass and run phases. Not only that, let both of their receivers go off on us. Like, thank god we don't face Julio Jones and Muhammed Sanu or something. Thankfully the Bucs have so much depth at CB and DL that we won't need to address it in the draft or FA.

Licht screwed the pooch up. Relying on a year 2 jump from Spence, an over the hill vet in Ayers, and a DE who's coming off what his second ACL tear? Flat out stupidity by the FO. I've been preaching pass rush and DB help all off-season. And we got exposed by a team that talent wise on the offensive side, isn't even particularly good. They're average.

Just wait till we play ATL, NO, NE, GB, and NYG.

Last thing...coach Koetter you spent a **** ton of resources on the offense. 17 points is UNACCEPTABLE, period. The fact we didn't do anything until the second half is flat out embarrassing. The team was clearly not focused and Winston has to do everything by himself because there is no run game. Year 3, and we still can't run the football. But hey, we're going to get 1 player back and that will fix all the problems huh coach. What a jack *** man.

20 minutes ago, indifference said:

Let this sink in for a moment. We let a below average offensive line dominate us in both pass and run phases. Not only that, let both of their receivers go off on us. Like, thank god we don't face Julio Jones and Muhammed Sanu or something. Thankfully the Bucs have so much depth at CB and DL that we won't need to address it in the draft or FA.

Licht screwed the pooch up. Relying on a year 2 jump from Spence, an over the hill vet in Ayers, and a DE who's coming off what his second ACL tear? Flat out stupidity by the FO. I've been preaching pass rush and DB help all off-season. And we got exposed by a team that talent wise on the offensive side, isn't even particularly good. They're average.

Just wait till we play ATL, NO, NE, GB, and NYG.

Last thing...coach Koetter you spent a **** ton of resources on the offense. 17 points is UNACCEPTABLE, period. The fact we didn't do anything until the second half is flat out embarrassing. The team was clearly not focused and Winston has to do everything by himself because there is no run game. Year 3, and we still can't run the football. But hey, we're going to get 1 player back and that will fix all the problems huh coach. What a jack *** man.

Honestly, I think they need to figure out what they are on defense.  I believe Keenum was 11-13 on 3rd down, I believe.  They are getting the opportunity to get off the field, but not accomplishing it.  Such efficiency would allow the Vikings a very good red zone efficiency.  Everyone remembers Keenum going over the top, but there was plenty of times where he got the ball out in under 3 seconds.  Blitz all you want, but if there is that much cushion it won t matter.  Snap count suggests they have lost faith in Tandy.  If they are going to play more zone, then the safeties cant get beat over the top.  I thought McClain was decent yesterday, lets see if he gets more playing time.  Smith is playing a dangerous game blitzing and leaving Conte on the slot WR.  

4 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Honestly, I think they need to figure out what they are on defense.  I believe Keenum was 11-13 on 3rd down, I believe.  They are getting the opportunity to get off the field, but not accomplishing it.  Such efficiency would allow the Vikings a very good red zone efficiency.  Everyone remembers Keenum going over the top, but there was plenty of times where he got the ball out in under 3 seconds.  Blitz all you want, but if there is that much cushion it won t matter.  Snap count suggests they have lost faith in Tandy.  If they are going to play more zone, then the safeties cant get beat over the top.  I thought McClain was decent yesterday, lets see if he gets more playing time.  Smith is playing a dangerous game blitzing and leaving Conte on the slot WR.  

Yeah he is. Tandy looked clueless out there oh my god. He got lost in the sauce on that one crossing route and ran past his responsibility as the guy caught the ball and went up field. Our safety duo with Tandy and Conte is flat out the worst duo in the NFL. Thank god we got TJ Ward. Please start him next week. He can't be any worse than I witnessed yesterday. I need Tandy 5-6 game stretch was fluke. Wake me up when he makes a play on a pass this year.

I'm not sure what you mean by the safeties getting beat over the top. It looked like Bucs were in man or cover 3 most of the game. I don't recall much cover 2.

A big problem with our pass rush was McCoy playing with a sprained ankle (which he later made worse) and Spence dislocating his shoulder on the first snap of the game. Ayers apparently peaked two years ago, and we all know Gholston is only a run defender (He had nine tackles, I believe. He's gotta lead the team.). We should probably draft two pass rushers next year.

Our secondary just sucks. Ward isn't gonna fix our coverage; it's not what he does. We've been splitting reps with Tandy and Ward, while Conte had been playing almost every snap. Maybe we need to force Evans into the lineup and have him split reps with Conte. I don't know what to do about CB. There are teams with two or three good/great/elite guys and we've got Grimes; who might finally be on the decline. It's definitely a need heading into next year.

At least our LBs are good.

In an absolute dismantling, Bucs’ CBs Vernon Hargreaves & Ryan Smith each had a rough day in Minnesota. Hargreaves was targeted a team-high 10 times, allowing 7 receptions for a whopping 126 yards and 1 TD. Smith was targeted 8 times, allowing 5 receptions for 118 yards and 1 TD. Vikings QB Case Keenum saw a 145.8 passer rating when targeting EACH defender.

41 minutes ago, indifference said:

Yeah he is. Tandy looked clueless out there oh my god. He got lost in the sauce on that one crossing route and ran past his responsibility as the guy caught the ball and went up field. Our safety duo with Tandy and Conte is flat out the worst duo in the NFL. Thank god we got TJ Ward. Please start him next week. He can't be any worse than I witnessed yesterday. I need Tandy 5-6 game stretch was fluke. Wake me up when he makes a play on a pass this year.

I'm not sure what you mean by the safeties getting beat over the top. It looked like Bucs were in man or cover 3 most of the game. I don't recall much cover 2.

I find it hard to believe that Smith is calling Cover 0, that much particularly the first or second play of the game.  Granted, Hargreaves got beat, but the safety was at least 10 yards away when the ball was caught.  The play that really upset me was the Diggs TD, first drive 2nd half on 3rd down.  Diggs runs a simple out pattern less then 10 yards, Smith misses the tackle and when Diggs turns up field he is already behind Conte and Tandy.  My other disgusting play was the same on you are mentioning I believe.  First half, Vikings 3rd and 12 not even at their own 20, Tandy makes a break to double team the TE and Keenum hits Diggs with an easy completion for a 1st down at the hash,  This is horrible safety play coupled with bad CB play. It's a clown show with the safeties right now, coupled with the CBs not reducing the cushion with no help underneath because a LB being sent.  Very unorganized between what the front 7 is doing in relation to how the secondary is playing the WRs.

5 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I find it hard to believe that Smith is calling Cover 0, that much particularly the first or second play of the game.  Granted, Hargreaves got beat, but the safety was at least 10 yards away when the ball was caught.  The play that really upset me was the Diggs TD, first drive 2nd half on 3rd down.  Diggs runs a simple out pattern less then 10 yards, Smith misses the tackle and when Diggs turns up field he is already behind Conte and Tandy.  My other disgusting play was the same on you are mentioning I believe.  First half, Vikings 3rd and 12 not even at their own 20, Tandy makes a break to double team the TE and Keenum hits Diggs with an easy completion for a 1st down at the hash,  This is horrible safety play coupled with bad CB play. It's a clown show with the safeties right now, coupled with the CBs not reducing the cushion with no help underneath because a LB being sent.  Very unorganized between what the front 7 is doing in relation to how the secondary is playing the WRs.

That's why I said maybe the Bucs were playing cover 3 to start out. That typically leaves the corners on an island and they usually play off coverage to fend the long pass. Clearly the defense is still a work in progress even after our little winning streak we had last year.

6 minutes ago, indifference said:

That's why I said maybe the Bucs were playing cover 3 to start out. That typically leaves the corners on an island and they usually play off coverage to fend the long pass. Clearly the defense is still a work in progress even after our little winning streak we had last year.

I appreciate the discussion and you could very well be right. I m not suggesting the pass rush is stellar, but there are so many assignment mistakes in the secondary right now, it is ugly.   I just wonder if Conte goes down, do they bring in Evans?  It's not like Tandy and Conte are elite tacklers either.  Teams are well over 50% efficiency on 3rd down after 2 games.   It was masked because of the turnovers against the Bears.  They re getting to 3rd down, but right now they can't get off the field.

14 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I appreciate the discussion and you could very well be right. I m not suggesting the pass rush is stellar, but there are so many assignment mistakes in the secondary right now, it is ugly.   I just wonder if Conte goes down, do they bring in Evans?  It's not like Tandy and Conte are elite tacklers either.  Teams are well over 50% efficiency on 3rd down after 2 games.   It was masked because of the turnovers against the Bears.  They re getting to 3rd down, but right now they can't get off the field.

It may be time to put Evans in. With him, at least you know your getting a safety that has the ability to cover slot WR's. Maybe leaving a rookie on an island is a bad idea but we need to try to switch things up. Evans may not be ready yet to play so the coaches are going to hold off.

Archived