NFL Wide Free Agency Thread

textaz03

2 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Exactly. If this disappoints next year, it’ll be no surprise to me. Look at who we have as the GM of the team.

We have to be aware of what we spend and who we spend it on.  I get it.  Yet when you bargain shop you are going to strike out more often than you hit gold.  In baseball I'm a lifelong Dodgers fan.  Frustrating to get to two straight World Series and lose, but we made it, and this is a team that continues to try and do everything to stay in contention for a title (Mookie Betts acquisition).  So I can applaud them for continuing to take their best shot.  Before any of my fellow Dallas fans take shots at me for being a Dodgers fan, how long as it been since the Cowboys even came close to contending for a championship?

The off season for Dallas is far from over but I'm having a hard time getting excited about the moves we've made.  We resigned Cooper.  Had to be done given the price paid to acquire him.  Dak has become a better QB with him.  McCoy is a decent pick up but he is 32.  We will get a year or two out of him.  The defense which was suspect has been hit hard with Quinn, Jones, Collins, and Heath going.  Okay Heath was not a great safety but he was a solid special teams player.

We knew we were walking away from players yet it doesn't look like we have any plan to replace them.  That is frustrating.  That scrub from the Jets is not going to replace Jones.  He will, however, make a positive impact on the balance sheet.  This is not hysteria or a fan desperate for the team to make a splash signing or trade.  It's a fan who says okay I get it you let Jones and Quinn walk - what's the plan moving forward?  There are still DL out there whose price should come down as time goes on.  Yet if we sit we may miss out.  Those who hesitate are lost.

Having said this we will probably go out and trade for Jamal Adams and sign Jadeveon Clowney!  In that event I will gladly eat crow.  It just seems that we don't have a plan to get better.  Certain positions yes.  The team as a whole?  A resounding no.

• Like 1

Apparently the Eagles are looking into adding Jags DE Yannick Ngakoue via trade as well. 

I love my stupid team. lmao.

Philly signs Wentz to a big deal. Sign top 3 iDL free agent. Trade and sign one of top CBs. Now are rumored to be doing same for one the better young DEs.  

Explain salary cap problems to me like I’m 5....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Northland said:

We have to be aware of what we spend and who we spend it on.  I get it.  Yet when you bargain shop you are going to strike out more often than you hit gold.  In baseball I'm a lifelong Dodgers fan.  Frustrating to get to two straight World Series and lose, but we made it, and this is a team that continues to try and do everything to stay in contention for a title (Mookie Betts acquisition).  So I can applaud them for continuing to take their best shot.  Before any of my fellow Dallas fans take shots at me for being a Dodgers fan, how long as it been since the Cowboys even came close to contending for a championship?

The off season for Dallas is far from over but I'm having a hard time getting excited about the moves we've made.  We resigned Cooper.  Had to be done given the price paid to acquire him.  Dak has become a better QB with him.  McCoy is a decent pick up but he is 32.  We will get a year or two out of him.  The defense which was suspect has been hit hard with Quinn, Jones, Collins, and Heath going.  Okay Heath was not a great safety but he was a solid special teams player.

We knew we were walking away from players yet it doesn't look like we have any plan to replace them.  That is frustrating.  That scrub from the Jets is not going to replace Jones.  He will, however, make a positive impact on the balance sheet.  This is not hysteria or a fan desperate for the team to make a splash signing or trade.  It's a fan who says okay I get it you let Jones and Quinn walk - what's the plan moving forward?  There are still DL out there whose price should come down as time goes on.  Yet if we sit we may miss out.  Those who hesitate are lost.

Having said this we will probably go out and trade for Jamal Adams and sign Jadeveon Clowney!  In that event I will gladly eat crow.  It just seems that we don't have a plan to get better.  Certain positions yes.  The team as a whole?  A resounding no.

I’m holding out hope for a Jamal Adams trade announcement to get an impact safety on out team (hopefully for less than our 1st). Clowney sounds like a pipe dream. Someone is going to overpay him for what he brings to the table.

As for the being a Dodgers fan, you guys were screwed hard from a WS title. I wouldn’t watch MLB again after seeing what they did with the Astros (basically nothing) cheating.

6 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We are just a few days into free agency, and everyone is stressed out because all of the worst teams in football are going on spending sprees. 

Because by the next few days in all the quality players will already be gone. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We are just a few days into free agency, and everyone is stressed out because all of the worst teams in football are going on spending sprees. 

Bills have done a great job.  Ravens as well.  Some teams, that are already very good are focussed on getting better.

11 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

I’m holding out hope for a Jamal Adams trade announcement to get an impact safety on out team (hopefully for less than our 1st). Clowney sounds like a pipe dream. Someone is going to overpay him for what he brings to the table.

As for the being a Dodgers fan, you guys were screwed hard from a WS title. I wouldn’t watch MLB again after seeing what they did with the Astros (basically nothing) cheating.

I used Clowney as an example.  He will come down to earth re what his salary expectations are.

20 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Apparently the Eagles are looking into adding Jags DE Yannick Ngakoue via trade as well. 

I love my stupid team. lmao.

Philly signs Wentz to a big deal. Sign top 3 iDL free agent. Trade and sign one of top CBs. Now are rumored to be doing same for one the better young DEs.  

Explain salary cap problems to me like I’m 5....

I will always applaud a team that says we are going to do what we can to get better, even if it is the Eagles.  What you're not satisfied with the signing of Canady?

It's not about what teams have signed guys or who we might get at this point, it's that we let Byron walk and replaced him with Brown and Canady while Trufant, Harris, Slay etc. go elsewhere. There are no good CBs left, but at least we have the draft! Yay 22-year-olds!

This philosophy of cycling out rookie contracts at DB so as to never spend real $ there does not look like a serious approach to winning

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

To me it's not who we've missed or might get at this point, it's letting Byron walk and replacing him with Brown and Canady while Trufant, Harris, Slay etc. go elsewhere. There are no good CBs left, but at least we have the draft! Yay 22-year-olds!

This philosophy of cycling out rookie contracts at DB so as to never spend real $ there does not look like a serious approach to winning

It is frustrating to have a glaring need at CB, see quality players out there, and watch as they go elsewhere.  I would only cycle rookie contracts at the RB position.    

1 minute ago, Northland said:

It is frustrating to have a glaring need at CB, see quality players out there, and watch as they go elsewhere.  I would only cycle rookie contracts at the RB position.    

They must not see it as a glaring need after signing Brown and Canady, though. That gives us four "real players" with Chido and Lewis, I guess. At this point our best bet probably is to wait until the draft. And therein lies the problem.

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

They must not see it as a glaring need after signing Brown and Canady, though. That gives us four "real players" with Chido and Lewis, I guess. At this point our best bet probably is to wait until the draft. And therein lies the problem.

It's not a glaring need in terms of quantity.  It is, however, a glaring need in terms of quality.  Especially in a pass happy league.

30 minutes ago, Northland said:

Bills have done a great job.  Ravens as well.  Some teams, that are already very good are focussed on getting better.

Using the Buffalo Bills as a model franchise after one good season is probably not going to get you very far in the long run. 

There are still a lot of quality players out there. There will be trade opportunities for veterans. And you have the draft.

I, for one, am happy that we stay out of the feeding frenzy early in the free agency period. The return on investment there is not good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Using the Buffalo Bills as a model franchise after one good season is probably not going to get you very far in the long run. 

There are still a lot of quality players out there. There will be trade opportunities for veterans. And you have the draft.

I, for one, am happy that we stay out of the feeding frenzy early in the free agency period. The return on investment there is not good.

The Bills have a very bright future.  I'll bet on that.  They won't be a one year wonder. As a playoff team, they are doing what they can to get better namely getting Allen a true number 1 WR.